Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: o2/be with HG612  (Read 17756 times)

LeJimster

o2/be with HG612
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »

Hi all,
I've just got myself a HG612 which I then proceeded to unlock.  My thinking is since I'm getting VDSL2+ later in the year and I want to give my current router to a friend, I'd set up the HG612 on my ADSL line in the meantime.

The problem is it's not PPPoA and I'm not sure if the right settings are available to me?

First of all does it support "RFC1483 Bridge mode".  I can find various Bridged IP and PPPoE modes, but I don't believe they're what I'm after?

Any help would be kindly appreciated.  If its not possible I would rather be told now than later tho as I don't want to waste all day on a lost cause :).

Ta!

LJ

Update: I figured the settings out after much trial and error, they're posted further down.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:10:23 AM by LeJimster »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: o2/be with HG612
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »

Hi LeJimster & welcome to the Kitz forum.

Yes, an unlocked HG612 can indeed be used on an ADSL, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ connection.

A couple of members of this forum actively use the HG612 in just such a way.

I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to assist with relevant settings etc.
In the meantime, there is a little info here:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11404.msg220343.html#msg220343

These modes are available, with this example forcing ADSL2 mode:-

Modulations:
   G.Dmt   Disabled
   G.lite   Disabled
   T1.413   Disabled
   ADSL2   Enabled
   AnnexL   Disabled
   ADSL2+   Disabled
   AnnexM   Disabled
   VDSL2   Disabled
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:52:29 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

LeJimster

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »

oh yes, sorry if I wasn't clear..

My ISP is o2 and we connect via a non-standard method.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find the right options on the HG612.  Either they're named something else or they don't exist.  If anyone on o2 has managed to get their line up and running with this hardware I would love to hear how they did it as I'm not the wiser for reading the manual.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »

My ISP is o2 and we connect via a non-standard method.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find the right options on the HG612. 

Is this any help?:-

http://www.farside.org.uk/200903/ipoeoatm

LeJimster

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »

Hmmm, best I seem able to do is to get it to Sync & obtain it's own IP DNS etc..  But I don't seem to be able to pass any data from LAN to WAN.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »

Advanced > Firewall then IP Filtering may be the key.

If you would be willing to tell me your e-mail address via a PM, I can send you a sequence of images that you could then consult.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:06:30 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

LeJimster

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »

Well I found the culprit, DNS!

Normally you can set your router's IP as the DNS server and it relays everything, but that's not working.  So I'll have to manually set it, not a big deal :).  Phew!

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »

Glad you got it sorted LeJimster!   That's exactly what Burakkacat discovered: for some reason, the Huawei will only proxy DNS queries for its DHCP clients.  biohead of psidoc.com reported that he got the Huawei bridging with ADSL2+.  [1]  Not sure what type of bridge that was though, nor whether it was with o2/be.

cheers, a

[1] http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/using-the-hg612-on-an-adsl2-line/#comment-830

LeJimster

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »

I will list out what I did to get it working later, make some screenies prolly too.  It's not in any bridge mode, at least not what the HG612 calls a bridge mode, that was a red herring.  Anyway, hopefully somebody can fix the DNS problem in the future as I don't like always manually setting DNS, they have a habit of changing without notice :).

LeJimster

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »

Here are my settings for o2 broadband ADSL2+ (LLU) on the Huawei Echolife HG612 / BT Openreach modem, they should work fine for BE* too.  They may not be perfect, but they should do the job :).  Note..  You can probably enable Both LAN1 & LAN2 on the WAN page, I personally don't need both ports.  Also, note if you are manually setting your IPv4 settings on each PC you will have to put in some working real world DNS IP's as you can't get away with pointing it at the routers IP :'(.

Thx to the suggestions guys, it might not have directly given me the answer, but it kept my brain ticking until I figured it out ;).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:49:08 PM by LeJimster »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:07:51 AM »

Good stuff LeJimster!

Your screenshots will be very helpful to other o2'ers!

cheers, a

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

Hey guys... just found this thread. I've just got FTTC installed, but have been provided with an ECI modem so my HG612 is rather redundant.

Anywayyyyy.... My setup with a 612 was for a TalkTalk (LLU) line setup as a bridge, where PPPoE authentication and routing was performed on my Apple Time Capsule. Here are my settings:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »

Hi biohead & welcome to the Kitz forum.

I've just got FTTC installed, but have been provided with an ECI modem so my HG612 is rather redundant.

Not necessarily redundant.
It will still work just fine on your FTTC connection (even if you are connected to an ECI rather than a Huawei DSLAM).

At least you would be able to see & possibly graph your FTTC stats.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »

Thanks for the screenies lejimster :)

This sort of thing would be ideal for the wiki.   I'm away this weekend, but if anyone wants to oblige then that would be great ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

LeJimster

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06:39 AM »

np Kitz.

I've been meaning to join the forum awhile.  I remember you from years ago on thinkbroadband forums as it was adslguide back then.  Been using your site for years for the guides when I forget stuff, it's been a great help.  So taking a few screenies is no big deal :).  I'm not expecting many people will be wanting to use it for ADSL2+ from o2, but who knows..  Maybe so when o2 finally get their ass into gear and offer FTTC.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything