Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DSL Stats Logging & Graphing Scripts for Netgears & Zoom X7N  (Read 108076 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I think they are already available in Linux..?? not sure, I do know these were developed from Linux scripts anyway

Asbokid put together the very first static graphing script (Linux based), then he and Little_Bird (from the ThinkBroadband fora) did some further development work. They then handed it over to a certain burakkucat to enhance and develop. Hence the original Linux static graphing script. (Version 2.2 is current.)

As I wanted to be able to plot graphs of the DS/US SNRM and Sync Speed for my 2Wire modem/router and I did not want to have to run the W'doze environment provided by the Linux service Wine, so to be able to use John Owen's Routerstats, I developed my own Linux scripts to perform the requirements. On showing my scripts to Bald_Eagle1, he saw their potential to be adapted for W'doze and the Huawei HG612 modem, once unlocked. The rest you know . . .  :P

are there no BAT-to (linux/Mac script) converters?

Yes. They are called human beings and I think Peter, above, will do a very fine job.

It is no use anyone looking to me, for I am a felis domesticus with no knowledge of Perl or Python. (Though I did watch "Python, Monty; Circus, Flying, for the use of" when it was first transmitted in the 1960s!)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics

Peter,

Congratulations! You have just volunteered to re-write Bald_Eagle1's scripts in a Linux/Unix/W'doze-friendly scripting language!  :D

I did think about that for a few seconds. I've already written my own monitoring for DG834, ST546 and 2Wire (deceased). http://pgg999.co.uk/stats/
It started in Perl and ran on both Linux and Windows, but then it gained some bash scripts, and chunks of sed and grep, and Povray, and gnuplot, and, and, and... It just kept growing. It works, but it's nearly impossible to maintain. I've now got a Netgear DGN1000 which has virtually no monitor capability. Am debating whether to return to the ST546, or maybe get a more sophisticated Netgear which I can monitor and do a clean rewrite of my scripts - maybe based on Bald Eagle scripts. But have just taken delivery of a Raspberry Pi, and it will take priority, as I want it to power an online weather sation.

Cheers,
Peter

snadge

• Kitizen

@ B'Kat - ahh thanks for clarifying that for me.. I knew you and asbokid where the original creators but didnt know the full story, cheers

Raspberry Pi, thats another great Idea I heard about (B'Kat & someone else's, sorry cant remember the name lol) - turning one of those into a 24-7 stats monitoring unit that plugs into router so you dont have to leave PC on :) - that would be cool , Bald_Eagle told me about it when I confronted him with my idea of turning an old router into a Line Tester / Monitor / Stats Logger that could pull and save stats from the main router for graphing later and even perform latency and speed tests with weekly reports, also passive wifi monitoring that could 'suggest' a better channel if your using same as neighbouring networks etc... perform a mass of functions such as I talk about on this post ... I asked Bald_Eagle if it were possible and thats when he told me about your Raspberry Pi idea... or was it asbokid that told me..?? bah.. cant remember.. old age!! lol - I would love such a device

I wonder... would it be possible to execute these scripts over a network?  say if I wanted to graph my friends router stats without even visiting his home?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

I wonder... would it be possible to execute these scripts over a network?  say if I wanted to graph my friends router stats without even visiting his home?

With a R-Pi, the innards of a HG612, power supply and some other bits-n-bobs it could be made into a Mark II Walter's Wheelbarrow, remote monitoring capable. Such an entity was discussed at the theoretical level by Walter, Asbokid, Bald_Eagle1 and myself, earlier this year.

Baldy_Bird has had some success in the remote monitoring of THCN FTTC lines via Walter's existing wheelbarrow -- which uses a laptop computer. (Very inefficient use of the resource.)

snadge

• Kitizen

hehee  - whats Walter's Wheelbarrow? ive heard of it a couple o times now, does Walter have a wheelbarrow full of BT tools or summit that he trunches around the village mending everyones line problems..??? hehehe  ...I want one!!!  :-[

but yeah there are the possibilities of making such a great device..for us broadband/networking fanboys  ;D  I would love to have something that could test and send me stats/graphs of all my friends/customers broadband connections...one could start his own Network Monitoring business & charge a yearly fee... I just turn up at the door tools in hand if there are any problems, he he he,   ... I WISH  ::)

hey wonder if I could design an app for PC that runs in background running tests and lets me know when a PC needs looking at , notifys me via email and I just turn up "computers running a bit slow is it? ...yeah.. it said it was" hehe , charge a yearly fee   :)   24-7 COMPUTER & BROADBAND MONITORING SERVICE... DONT CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU!!! hehehehehehe - its late...im off to bed  :P

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Am debating whether to return to the ST546, or maybe get a more sophisticated Netgear which I can monitor and do a clean rewrite of my scripts - maybe based on Bald Eagle scripts.

Maybe worth a look here:-

http://drlforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=211

The guy named Alex has sort of converted my Windows VDSL2 scripts back to Linux & as I created the Windows Netgear ADSL scripts from my Windows VDSL2 scripts it should be an "easy" task for you ;)

Maybe this is a start:-

http://csdprojects.co.uk/HG612/graph/

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics

Maybe this is a start:-
http://csdprojects.co.uk/HG612/graph/
graph.sh looks straightforward for Perl. Never heard of expect! Will look further sometime in the future...

Cheers,
Peter

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Just an update from me, the graphs are working perfectly and I am not having any problems. The great thing about the graphs is that one can get an accurate indication about exactly about what is going on with one's line over a number of days or just there and then.

Attatched is a QLN graph to show just one of the many graphs that one can make. Any opinions?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:02:31 PM by arobertson545 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Attatched is a QLN graph to show just one of the many graphs that one can make. Any opinions?

It's a bit hard to judge in isolation.

Unlike Bit-loading & SNR, QLN & Hlog data only updates at each resync.
Have they changed much over the last few resyncs?

I would imagine QLN to look worse from an "noisy" evening resync than from a "quiet" daytime resync.

It might be handy to see portrait format montages for both your snapshot & ongoing stats (ongoing for as long a continuously logged period as possible).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

By eye, we could say that the "baseline" QLN at system sync was a respectable -132 dB, nothing more, nothing less.  ::)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I'm having a problem now. Every time I plot "ongoing" data, I get "empy y range [0:01], adjusting to [0:1]". I know I have enough data so it isn't that. Any ideas?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire

snadge

• Kitizen

@ AR545 - does the graph not work though? I get errors like that soemtimes during the job in the cmd window but it still comes out ok, i think its just setting the axis to your data...

@ ASBOKID
- so he lives somewhere around LONDON .. i bet you could get a closer range by working out the signal strength of the transmitters and checking them against the strength of interference, nice to see BBC RADIO 5 LIVE keeping up appearances as the biggest culprit...as it is with mine up north :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

@ AR545 - does the graph not work though? I get errors like that soemtimes during the job in the cmd window but it still comes out ok, i think its just setting the axis to your data...

The graphs work fine but I never used to get this error. BE, any suggestions?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything