Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 88928 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »

Good news, profile is recovering I'm back to 32Mbps again,

Hopefully this is a good sign and things keep improving!

Apart from that big block of RSCorr errors it all looks pretty good.
(Was anything being used/downloaded when those errors mounted?)

Also, did the connection re-sync of its own accord this morning?

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »

Good news, profile is recovering I'm back to 32Mbps again,

Hopefully this is a good sign and things keep improving!

Apart from that big block of RSCorr errors it all looks pretty good.
(Was anything being used/downloaded when those errors mounted?)

Also, did the connection re-sync of its own accord this morning?

I did do a little downloading yesterday, and also streamed the football match, and yes I did re-sync on it's own Paul,

Cheers,

Josh

Edit: Was looking at the wrong errors, I was not up at that time, so I have no idea what caused them.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:28:06 AM by JoshShep »

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

That may be the case, but I don't think it would have too much impact. It's like ADSL some router's are better than others, it just depends on the chipset and how well they perform with the DSLAM equipment. That's what I think anyway.

Cheers,

Josh

I think that there may be a little more to it than that.   From what I understand, OR engineers are in big trouble if they fit the wrong modem for the DSLAM.  Besides, on TT ADSL I have had matching kit (Huawei router and Huawei MSAN) and broadcom chipsets have always performed better, in particular Thomson routers with broadcom chipsets  ;)
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

That may be the case, but I don't think it would have too much impact. It's like ADSL some router's are better than others, it just depends on the chipset and how well they perform with the DSLAM equipment. That's what I think anyway.

Cheers,

Josh

I think that there may be a little more to it than that.   From what I understand, OR engineers are in big trouble if they fit the wrong modem for the DSLAM.  Besides, on TT ADSL I have had matching kit (Huawei router and Huawei MSAN) and broadcom chipsets have always performed better, in particular Thomson routers with broadcom chipsets  ;)

Same situation here, always been on TalkTalk, LLU exchange. Had the Netgear DNG200 (Broadcom) was much better than the supplied router, it just all depends, none of them are participially incompatible, some perform better than other that's all.

The HG612 is a broadcom and the ECI is a Lantiq, they both perform very similar on my line.

Cheers,

Josh

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »

Cheers,

Josh

That was very true BE. It was classed as a 10-point failure, which means they take you round the back of the Exchange and beat you !!

I mentioned this fact only recently myself on here, and would you Adam & Eve it ?? we go and get a 'brief' stating we can use ECI's in place of a Huwawei, and vice-versa if we are short on van stock.  ::) ::)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

5 day graph,

SNRM was returned to default value of 6dB around 10pm last night.

Cheers,

Josh

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »

... and can conclude the REIN is not from my end.
I had to read that twice. ;D

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »

Quite a few errors have mounted up tonight.

Due another update on the ticket Wed.

Cheers,

Josh

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »

Similar timeframe as your last post Josh for my line.  Can I ask, how did you get TT to escalate this for you, was it via the forum or telephone CS ??
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

FWIW, I/we have today started to remotely monitor another Huawei HG612 modem connected to an ECI DSLAM.

US QLN AND Hlog data can indeed be seen & plotted:-

I will spend a bit of time checking & adapting the scripts for the HG612 modem on an ECI DSLAM & hopefully an easily unlockable ECI modem is not too far away now anyway.

Example Current Stats attached.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »

Similar timeframe as your last post Josh for my line.  Can I ask, how did you get TT to escalate this for you, was it via the forum or telephone CS ??

It was abit of everything mate, I can highly recommend to use the TT Forums thought!

There all great on there and you should get an update within 24 hours.

Cheers,

Josh
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:04:33 PM by JoshShep »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »

FWIW, I/we have today started to remotely monitor another Huawei HG612 modem connected to an ECI DSLAM.

US QLN AND Hlog data can indeed be seen & plotted:-

I will spend a bit of time checking & adapting the scripts for the HG612 modem on an ECI DSLAM & hopefully an easily unlockable ECI modem is not too far away now anyway.

Example Current Stats attached.

Great news Paul,

Thanks for the hard work mate! :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2012, 01:09:15 AM »

Just a tip wih locating possible REIN wih a radio.

You will hear all sorts of noises from different electrical appliances when you hold a radio close by.

Also move the radio side to side 90 degrees and verticaly by 90 degrees. The reason : imagine a cable running in a straight line. Then imagine the electrical noise emminating from that cable like rings similar to the ripples on the surface of water when you dip your finger into it. This is very much like the way field lines work fom a cable with electricity.
 In a MW radio the antenna is about the size and shape of a small marker pen. Its most sensitive to an electrical signal if the field line you imagined is running lengthways through the middle of that pen shape.

By not moving the radio around as you look for REIN you may be walking right past a source and not hearing it as the antenna is in the wrong orientation to pick it up. I remember a situation where everyone else wa suspecting one set of power cables yet this trick informed me the source was some HT power cables further away. (Anyone familiar with using a C.A.T. Cable avoidance tool. for locating utilites outside would be familiar with this concept when you think that the same type of antenna is that bulge at the base of the C.A.T.)

One way to experiment with this effect. If you have Dropwires in your neighbourhood feeding homes with telephony walk around with a MW radio at 612khz. You'll hear distinct shhhhh noise from amny of them. Thats Broadband you can hear. Isolate a cable and try rotating the radio by 90 degrees this way and that and notice how it get more sensitive in a certain orientaion. Now move from directly under the cable to a few feet away and note how you need to change the angle of the radio to get the greater sensitivity. Think of those radiating circles of electrical noise again.  ;)

Nothing wrong with listening to the enviroment when the dsl is ok as you have something to compaire with when there is the problem. A new noise or something louder perhaps. You may hear a distinct noise but dnt let that fool you into a wild goose chase as just because a distinct noise in around the area ther's still a good chance that that's not the problem.

Don't be fooled into thinking the source has to be overhead cabling. I started thinking that way but later found the deception in my mind as to, just 'cos you can see it can sway you from considering an underground source which turned out to be as likely as overhead.

When I used the word 'source' above I perhaps should have used the term emmiter. The worst problem with REIN is the actual source generating the errant signal may be tucked away some where but the signal is emminating from any cable its ultimately connected to. ie I'm hearing a loud signal which I know to be the problem. I can hear it comming from the underground electrical cabling to equal volume along several streets on a housing estate. Later the source was found to be a LCD monitor in an upstairs study in a house toward the edge of the area with the noise.

That exsample wa a good one of braking things down to locate it. I could tell it was coming through the 240v network, so it's feeding through the mains. At the errant house the owner was amiable to turning off his electrics at the consumer board (noise dissapears) turn it back on (noise is back) then switch each fuse one by one in turn. (its the downstairs mains ring) (hold on, its only half the downstairs ring ? hang on its the upstairs ring but only half again this time the opposite side of the house, lets look up there too. Turning off appliances one by one. A monitor... noise goes, everyone in sync. turn it on, noise back everyones out of sync) My suspision is that as the house was a show home so the garrage was an office some urchin has messed up the wiring in adding more lights and sockets for the sales office. As to what caused the monitor to cause some REIN. No idea but flat screen monitors is the one item I would say has caused at least 25% of all REIN I've found excluding december.

Hope this helps

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »

Very interesting read,

thanks Ezzer!

Edit: These are the sort of throughput speeds I get when my line is effected, this was just taken: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1925631218.png
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:51:42 AM by JoshShep »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

Edit: These are the sort of throughput speeds I get when my line is effected, this was just taken: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1925631218.png

Is there anything obvious showing in your graphs from around the same time?
If not, it looks like really, really, really severe contention.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

anything