Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Keeping cool?  (Read 11858 times)

staffsman

Keeping cool?
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I have a query I could do with some guidance on please.

I have recently bought a DVR for CCTV (4 cameras).   I am very happy with the way it works so I don't want to just send it back, I do want to keep it however there is a problem.  It's the fan noise!  The DVR is not a big steaming computer with a powerful CPU, it does one job and just sits there until there is  problem.  For the most part I don't even have the monitor on however still the fan is noisy.  Now here's the thing.  The supplier admits the fan is not to cool the motherboard or CPU, it's for cooling the hard drive?  I have had a 1TB unit installed from new but I could have had a smaller one but I would still have had the same fan.  the HHD is apparently a top of the range Western Digital unit meant for continues running.
Is there a real need to cool the hard drive? 
The DVR is on a shelf, nothing surrounding it and it does have grills on either side plus the fans own grill to the rear. As it sits there it is cool to the touch, not a sign of any heat coming from any part of it  As I have said the thing does make a noise and it is situated in an, albeit spare, bedroom which is occasionally used.  I think I would have trouble sleeping in the same room as this fan let alone a welcome guest.
I would like to just simply disconnect the fan.  I am again told by the supplier that the cooler a HHD runs the longer it will last, is this true?  I understand that disconnecting the fan might invalidate any warrentee but I will only do it if there no danger of damage to the DVR or HHD.

Can anyone offer any advise on this please.

Ray

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Keeping cool?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »

I wouldn't expect a hard disk in a largish ventilated box to need fan cooling. Of course it's true in principle that higher temperatures mean shorter life, but if there's some space around the hard disk it shouldn't get seriously hot.

The company's claim that the hard disk is a top of the range unit meant for continuous running sounds like marketing nonsense to me. Aren't hard disks always meant for continuous running? With electromechanical items like this, continuous running is better for reliability than switching on and off.

All this is just my personal opinion, and I can't make a definitive statement, but if it were mine I would probably disconnect the fan. Alternatively, you may be able to get a better quality, quieter fan, because they don't have to be noisy to be effective.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »

Well I have a four camera CCTV with a 350 gig hard drive in it. It has been running continuously for six months now with no noise whatsoever because it doesn't have a fan. The case gets quite warm/hot to the touch sometimes, but not hot enough to melt.
I would agree with Roseway about switching on and off for longevity.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

staffsman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »

Thanks roseway & silversurfer, that all pretty much what I thought myself.  I did know that it is better leaving a computer running rather than booting over and over and the CCTV box I have just replaced didn't have a fan either and that didn't even get warm but I do trust this CCTV supplier rather more than most I have had dealings with.

I will give it some further though and most probably disconnect the fan and see how it goes for a while.  If it runs hot I can always reconnect can't I?  I am always a bit reluctant taking the top off things unless I have to, girls not withstanding of course, those were the days. 

Thanks again for your advise.

Ray   

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »

Just a couple of points.

1. Are you sure it's a noisy fan and not a noisy HDD?
2. I'm pretty sure it is Western Digital that have now produced a HDD "specifically for this type of operation"
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/oem-cctv-dvr-sata-hard-drives-222434
    TBH it's probably just a slow speed drive as a fast drive is totally unnecessary for CCTV operations.

Edit:
Link added
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:11:45 PM by oldfogy »

staffsman

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »

Just a couple of points.

1. Are you sure it's a noisy fan and not a noisy HDD?
2. I'm pretty sure it is Western Digital that have now produced a HDD "specifically for this type of operation"
    (I think it was Maplin Electronics where I read that)
    TBH it's probably just a slow speed drive as a fast drive is totally unnecessary for CCTV operations.

I'm pretty sure it is the fan, or really the air passing through the aperture in the back of the case.  If I hold my hand over the aperture the noise stops/fades but I can still hear fan running very quietly. 
I will check with the supplier which drive I have.  I looked on WD's own site but there were so many I couldn't find the one I have.
I'm still reluctant to take the top off....................

Ray

staffsman

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »

The company's claim that the hard disk is a top of the range unit meant for continuous running sounds like marketing nonsense to me. Aren't hard disks always meant for continuous running? With electromechanical items like this, continuous running is better for reliability than switching on and off.

I have pulled WD's own spec sheet for this hard drive.  It does say that it is "ideal for DVR/PVR and video surveillance applications"
so I guess the company I bought it from was only passing on WD's own information.  However it also say's "these drives are designed to last in high Temperature always-on steaming digital ~ PVR/DVR systems" so that would support the 'no need for a fan argument I would have thought?

I will remove the fan this weekend and see how it goes.

Ray

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:13:27 AM »

Have just read this post and I think I might see why a fan has been fitted.

In comercial premises I have seen more and more such equipment fitted in comms cabinets. Some the size of wardrobes some the size of a bedside cabinet. One of the most common faults was caused by overheating routers. With the amount of equipment crammed in with little or no thought of ventelation. A lot of it producing a little heat on their own. All working together to create a minor oven ?

I wonder if the unit you have is the type to often fitted in such a set up. And due to past problems the manufacturer gives the unit a bit of a chance by adding a fan. And being in a comms cabinet who cares about the noise. May be an oxymoron of a statement but some comms rooms can be amazingly loud.

May be worth asking the question from the manufacturer if this unit has been designed with it in mind of being stacked with other equipment this way, or if thats a common type of customer. May give more confidence in disconnecting the fan. If in a stand alone well ventelated enviroment you may be alright

I've been to one site 4 times, solved the problem by moving a toasty router, only to come back months later to find its been wedged in with even more equipment. They ended up fitting fans, then more fans, then air conditioning in the room. See it more and more and its a growing problem. Infact new builds have large comms rooms with extensive air con dedicated just for all the equipment that will be crammed in there

staffsman

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »

Have just read this post and I think I might see why a fan has been fitted.

In comercial premises I have seen more and more such equipment fitted in comms cabinets. Some the size of wardrobes some the size of a bedside cabinet. One of the most common faults was caused by overheating routers. With the amount of equipment crammed in with little or no thought of ventelation. A lot of it producing a little heat on their own. All working together to create a minor oven ?

I wonder if the unit you have is the type to often fitted in such a set up. And due to past problems the manufacturer gives the unit a bit of a chance by adding a fan. And being in a comms cabinet who cares about the noise. May be an oxymoron of a statement but some comms rooms can be amazingly loud.

May be worth asking the question from the manufacturer if this unit has been designed with it in mind of being stacked with other equipment this way, or if thats a common type of customer. May give more confidence in disconnecting the fan. If in a stand alone well ventelated enviroment you may be alright

I've been to one site 4 times, solved the problem by moving a toasty router, only to come back months later to find its been wedged in with even more equipment. They ended up fitting fans, then more fans, then air conditioning in the room. See it more and more and its a growing problem. Infact new builds have large comms rooms with extensive air con dedicated just for all the equipment that will be crammed in there

Thanks Ezzer,  Interesting and does make a very good point.  To be honest I haven't removed the fan yet 1- for fear the unit might melt down 2- I haven't had the time.  I do keep checking it and there is absolutely no heat coming from the box at all, it runs 24/7 but is pretty much out on it's own, on a shelf with nothing above or to the sides.  I guess I have just gotten used to the noise!
The company I used to work for had a very warm office with windows on all sides so that the sun could cook the staff but a wonderfully air conditioned room full of servers and the like.

Ray 

anything