Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battle Abbey  (Read 3391 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Battle Abbey
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »

Pictures from Battle Abbey,Battlefield and various other buildings

Very dark inside here,it reminded me of somewhere  :scare:

Battle private school......my old comp never looked like this

Somewhere over there is Harolds eye  ;D

The old church footings with part of the font still intact

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Battle Abbey
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »

Superb photographs and, as it was a very long time ago when I last visited the site, they reminded me of what I had forgotten! ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

Beautiful images, unkyUb.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

Beautiful images, unkyUb.

Thank you TD.

Tbh I'm sure camera experts can find plenty of faults and I know I should be more adventurous with the camera settings,but the way I was feeling I was just glad to be able to take some photo's. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

Very nice pictures Phil. Battle was within cycling distance of where I grew up (Herstmonceux) but as a boy I wasn't interested in ancient buildings, so I've never actually explored it.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »

In that whole bunch I can only see one fault....if indeed it is a fault. Second image down......that wee figure in the middle right is a nuisance. However, in a popular tourist area such as that it is always likely that some stray visitors will crrep into the scene.

TD's First Two Laws on photography :-
1) Include in the image evrything that is needed to make the image work.
2) Exclude everything that is extraneous to the image.

I love the one of the spiral staircase........and I did not think that cameras were allowed in the NC.. :D

As to being more adventurous.........they are your photos and you should take them as and how they please you !

One general comment though.......I appreciate that you have a certain problem with mobility and that that may have a bearing on the matter, but you do tend to have your images sloping down to the left. This is evident when you have a hard horizon such as your Beachy Head pics........and it can be seen in several of the Battle images. A tripod would help in these instances, but I know they can be awkward to carry around...the other way is to try and avoid hard, level horizons in the scene.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »

I waited ages for him to move,he kept walking then stopping.And as there was plenty of people behind us I knew I couldn't wait any longer  >:(  ;D

I do generally try and take shots without people in the way but it is difficult.

That spiral staircase was so narrow and steep.I had a right job getting back down,to the point where Sue had to take my camera and bag off me so I was a little more mobile.

I will take on board your comments TD,they are always welcome(UB goes off to sulk now) :D (only kidding).

As for shots sloping,not sure why that happens and as rule I check when they are on the computer and use the 'straightening' tool.

My mobility is a problem especially as I have a walking stick.I have a shoulder bag which I am now use to,but need a bigger one so the one I have my eye on is the Lowepro Nova 200AW
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Lowepro-Nova-200-AW-Shoulder-Bag-Ultramarine-Blue/p1028289?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Bags-_-Shoulder-Bags-_-Lowepro-Nova-200-AW-Shoulder-Bag-Ultramarine-Blue_1028289

Its Sue's 60th birthday in August and I was thinking what a nice present it would make.  >:D  :D

The man had gone when I took this shot,but I like the other better

Eastbourne Pier......I thought this one turned out ok

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:03:44 PM by UncleUB »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »

Oh I love looking at photos, thanks for sharing those Uncy and what beautiful weather you had in Sussex.  Haven't been down that way for ages, when more mobile we must pay those places a visit again.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »

You could just crop a small amount off the right hand side of that picture to get rid of the man in the blue pullover. (I hope he's not offended at being deemed surplus to requirements. :) )
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »

You could just crop a small amount off the right hand side of that picture to get rid of the man in the blue pullover. (I hope he's not offended at being deemed surplus to requirements. :) )

He's gone.  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »

Oh I love looking at photos, thanks for sharing those Uncy and what beautiful weather you had in Sussex.  Haven't been down that way for ages, when more mobile we must pay those places a visit again.

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie  :flower:

Glad you like them.

Out of the 2 weeks we were there the  weather only went downhill the last couple of days.We didn't have any rain at all for the first 10 days. :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »

Lovely piccies again Unc    :clap2: :clap2:    just popped in to see what's what  .... ( I have a friend who has arrived today for a week; hubby has bought  earplugs   ;D   ......)   a plus tard !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »

A wee comment on the one of Eastbourne Pier............very nice image, but a short pace to the left would have worked wonders. See how that little bushy thing interferes with the end of the pier.......a slight change of stance would have given a little spot of sea between the bush and the pier and the pier a little "breathing space"

It's all in the detail.. :D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »

A wee comment on the one of Eastbourne Pier............very nice image, but a short pace to the left would have worked wonders. See how that little bushy thing interferes with the end of the pier.......a slight change of stance would have given a little spot of sea between the bush and the pier and the pier a little "breathing space"

I'm sure that plant was wasn't there when I took the photo.....it must be one of those quick growing varieties. :D

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »

TD you are a very harsh/critical critic  ;D , I think a pace slightly forward would have taken most of those pesky Triffids out. :baby:

I only wish my Photography was as good as UB`s.

I can remember going to Battle Abbey years back, must be 25+ years ago, I had no digital stuff back then, film only (Not even sure digital was about), when they had some very big re-enactment thing on, it was a fantastic show, as I understood it, it brought together a whole load of re-enactment groups to celebrate some anniversary of the battle. I`m sure I still have some images, but IIRC they weren`t very good, I`ll try and dig them out sometime.

UB, Lovely pics and very well taken, you should be very proud of them and the bonus you seemed to have had a fun and enjoyable time (which is more important).
Pages: [1] 2