Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Chilham village  (Read 9526 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Chilham village
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

Lived West Kent for some years of married life. Somehow it's too easy not to go to places that are relaitively near.

Chilham was one such. :(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 02:30:32 PM »

I've been studying roseway's lovely pics. of a lovely village.

To TD's old eyes there is something a little odd.........in that they all seem to have a slight cyan cast.

It might be my eyes..........but other images do not have this cast.
It might be my monitor....but I can view and print my own photos with very accurate colours ( monitor and printer correctly calibrated, correct colour spaces and ICC profiles used)
It may be roseways camera.....but he has changed camera recently iirc and the cast is evident on images from each camera.

:idea: Could it be a white balance problem.......possibly an incorrect setting in there.

I would be interested in comments on this.......this is one of roseways images "corrected" to suit my eyes......how do the two compare to your eyes and on your monitor ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »

It's quite possible that you're right. I've recently started shooting in raw format, and most of these pictures have been fiddled with in various ways to improve shadow and highlight detail, and in some cases to tweak the white balance. The two pictures of the castle have also been given a fairly large tweak to the gamma, in order to brighten up the mid-tones. I'm still learning of course and could certainly do better.

I'll take another look at my monitor calibration, but I can't use the popular Windows calibration utilities of course. On my monitor the frontage of the house at the left in your modified version looks a little pink to me.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »

Well, in the process of comparing the two, I've figured out how to have a split screen   ::)   so thank you for that TD  ..........   to me, your 'corrected' image looks like the sun has come out compared with Eric's original.  The brickwork and roof tiles  therefore looks lighter and more  ..........    mmm !!!   ooooo what's the word  ....    ::)   if it were the spoken word it would be succinct  ....   I know what I mean   ...I can see each individual brick and tile more clearly  ....   does that make sense.  

PS  I wouldn't like to clean those windows   :D

PPS ....    Clarity   ....  that's the word  !!  ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »

I've just compared the two images side by side and would say that Roseway's image looks more natural. The building to the right is in shade and does appear somewhat cyan, however your corrected image on my monitor does appear to have a magenta cast. The building to the right now looks false. On my monitor that is.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »

>> On my monitor the frontage of the house at the left in your modified version looks a little pink to me. << Yes, it does to me as well.

Interesting, isn't it........different eyes see and different monitors  show slightly different results so it is good to get a little feedback and a comparison.

I'll calibrate the monitor again..they can "shift" a bit........and maintaining the exact same lighting condition around the monitor at all times is nigh near impossible.

On the question of white balance, I keep mine turned off and use external filters as and when appropriate......I understand them more than I understand white balance.. :blush:

@ ss44.........it's one of these shots, isn't it. The left hand edge with the now pinky building is so much brighter that the main areas.....I might have been tempted to put a gentle ND Grad down that side.

@ scottiesmum.......thanks for the comments, and glad you found your word.. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

Well, in the process of comparing the two, I've figured out how to have a split screen

Well I haven't........help.  :-[

I also think that the house at the bottom with the upstairs rendering does have a slight pink tinge to it (on TD's edited one)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:27:59 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »

I might have been tempted to put a gentle ND Grad down that side.

ND grads are on my To-do list, but not yet done. :-[
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »

I've found a software-based poor man's monitor calibration tool, and it did indicate that I needed to make a small adjustment to the red gamma. Having done so, I now see the cyan cast to which TD referred. I'm going to invest in a proper calibrator (Spyder 2 probably).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:49:09 PM by roseway »
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »

>> I'm going to invest in a proper calibrator <<

I quite like the little Pantone Huey.............accurate enough, and once it has calibrated if you leave it plugged in via an usb port it will continually adjust your monitor as the ambient light changes..............and reasonable cost at under £70.00

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »

Thanks for that suggestion. There is Linux software which is compatible with it so it is one I can use.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:55 AM »

Well, in the process of comparing the two, I've figured out how to have a split screen

I also think that the house at the bottom with the upstairs rendering does have a slight pink tinge to it (on TD's edited one)

On the question of the split screen, unkyUb.

If you have two files open such as looking at one image in  your browser and wanting to look at another image you have previously downloaded, the the browser window will probably overlay the opened image.
So, right click on an empty area in/on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and from the pop-up menu select "tile vertically" or "tile horizontally" and the screen will "split" to show both pages..........when you are done, right click on the taskbar again and select "undo tile".

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »

On the question of the split screen, unkyUb.

If you have two files open such as looking at one image in  your browser and wanting to look at another image you have previously downloaded, the the browser window will probably overlay the opened image.
So, right click on an empty area in/on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and from the pop-up menu select "tile vertically" or "tile horizontally" and the screen will "split" to show both pages..........when you are done, right click on the taskbar again and select "undo tile".

No tile vertically,or horizontally option  :no:

Show windows side by side,show windows stacked,cascade windows,and show desktop ......that is what I get.

So how does that allow me to compare 2 images from different forum pages......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 07:30:50 AM »

>> I'm going to invest in a proper calibrator <<

I quite like the little Pantone Huey.............accurate enough, and once it has calibrated if you leave it plugged in via an usb port it will continually adjust your monitor as the ambient light changes..............and reasonable cost at under £70.00

I followed your suggestion and bought a Pantone Huey. The software I'm using with it has got more options than you can shake a stick at, but I've done a calibration/profile run using its default values, and it does seem to confirm your findings. The display is now a little brighter looking, and rather less red. I can see the difference when I reboot - initially the display comes up in its unprofiled mode, then the profile is read and it changes to the corrected mode, with a visible difference.

I appreciate your advice on this, TD. It's another little improvement. In another couple of hundred years my photographs will be perfect. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 07:53:01 AM »

@ roseway.........yvw....and  :clap2: at the result.

@ unkyUb..........ah!, they have changed the wording.

show windows side by side equates to tile vertically.
show windows stacked equates to tile horizontally.

I don't think you can use this facility to show two different pages of a website in your browser............it works when looking at two files on your desktop.
So when comparing photos, for example, I think you have to download and save them....then open one and minimse it to the taskbar, open the second one (normally of course you can only view one at a time)......then do the tile thing and the two will open side by side or one under the other depending on which tile you opted for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything