Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thompson & 2Wire modems on possible High Resistance fault  (Read 2065 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Thompson & 2Wire modems on possible High Resistance fault
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I thought I'd post these pictures of a Thompson TG 784 and 2Wire 2700 HGV to illustrate helpful data (and higher sync speed) with the 2 Wire and in case anybody had any thoughts on any other useful diagnostics we might try to help BT O with this long running fault on a long line.

The evidence we have is that the 17070 Option 2 Quiet Line Test produces a low volume double tick, about every second, similar in frequency to the "Ring Ring" frequency and that on about 50% of the attempts doing a 17070 Option1 Ring-back test both modems loose sync.

Note that the 2 Wire gives estimates of an actual line attenuation and, more importantly, provides timed records of the failures from re-boot time.
(If I were to enter the authentication data the time would be shown in GMT.) I am assuming the errors it reports are Loss Of Signal time limits, but just what that time is I know not.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: Thompson & 2Wire modems on possible High Resistance fault
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

Hi Walter,
I am assuming the errors it reports are Loss Of Signal time limits, but just what that time is I know not.
I think that the time you refer to is when the line retrains.
ERR_LOS_LIMIT - Retrained due to loss of signal   according to the manual I found somewhere on 2Wire's website which defined some of the Error Codes.

I think that the time should correlate with the time given by:
"DSL Training Errors" - "Time Since Last Event" on "Broadband Link Detailed DSL Statistics".

Cheers,
Peter