Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Problems connecting to forum  (Read 41752 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Problems connecting to forum
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »

Hi
Virtually no problem since early February ,I have only experienced some slowness in connection ,but nothing really too disruptive  :) it seems to be just for a maybe 10 seconds to 15 seconds  to load page  , then everything is back to normal

@SS44 quote When posting and you roll the mouse over the post button do you always get the address shown in the attachment?
 I don't get any info with mouse hovering over  Post button . Yet works OK for me  :) . I am using FF.

Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »

I can access the site and forum without problem and can read all posts, go back and forward between posts and do all else without problem..........until I come to submit a post.

I type out my post and then hit the "post" button.......that is when the forum freezes and that iswhen I get the error messages as previously posted. I can try up tp six attempts at posting before it "catches".

That would seem to imply its not a server related issue.
I also have a report set so that if theres any problems with  SMFforum connecting to the forum database due to it being busy then I get an email, and all is fine with the SMF database.

There was a slight hiccup back in Feb..   but that was a routing issue due to a server 2 hops before mine being DDoS attacked..  which obviously will have caused some slowness anywhere further down the link, but it wasnt actually my server where the problem was.

This sounds more like a software related issue, such as browser/javascript or firewall AV antimalware type thing.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2010, 02:03:14 PM »

Looks like the kitz forum server isn't always responsive.
But this doesn't translate, for me, into any noticeable problems accessing the forum.

If it is busy, it should prioritise other traffic over ICMP... which is why the ICMP ping/tracert may show something, but you dont see any physical signs of slowness accessing using other protocols.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »

TD..   Ive had a look around and really cant see anything obvious as to why you should be having this problem with posting.

Can you do me a favour please and see if you experience any problems if you try to post using IE  (trying to narrow a few things down).
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

I've been having a play with the javascript options in Opera, and I see that one option is "Open console on error" which might give a clue if the problem is to do with javascript.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2010, 07:05:31 AM »

Thank you, all, for your continuing help and support...........I really do appreciate the time and trouble you are going to to try and sort my little problem.

Fingers crossed.....the issue may...just may...be resolved thanks to roseway.

I had not realised that there was an option to open a javascript error console in Opera but upon roseways advice I enabled that.
As soon as I then clicked on a link here to open a thread.....up popped the attached error report.........

The second line was interesting to me as I could at least understand something of the implications although the first line has me none the wiser as I do not know what it means.

Anyway, the second line talks of Googlesyndication.....which made me think of the adverts on the site.....which I have blocked......so I went into the options and had a look at the contents of the blocked items folder....and in there as well as the ads. was an entry for blocked content which was identical to the second line of the report in the javascript error console.....

I deleted that entry and the ads. one from the blocked content list, the ads now reappear on the site.................and I can now click on the links and post without that original javascript error console popping up.

Will post some drivel here and there for a session to see if all is well, but it does seem as if the problem is solved....fingers crossed.

Thank you again for all your time and trouble...it really is much appreciated...

Oooops...forgot the attachment...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:27:51 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »

I deleted that entry and the ads. one from the blocked content list, the ads now reappear on the site.................and I can now click on the links and post without that original javascript error console popping up.
:thumbs:

Will post some drivel here and there for a session to see if all is well, but it does seem as if the problem is solved....fingers crossed.
:fingers:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »

Good news TD! :fingers:
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2010, 07:37:28 AM »

I have been thinking............this probably has nothing to do with the problem.

I had blocked content....get error message that content is missing.........re-enable content and message goes away. That is logical.

But why should missing and/or blocked content cause the problem in the first place ?

No, I think I'll have to look further next time I get the "freeze"..

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2010, 07:41:16 AM »

Just a question whilst on the subject of Opera error console........what are CSS warnings/errors/messages? I have got quite a few listed(never deleted them since I have been using Opera)

Is it ok to delete them?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:32 AM »

@TD Googlesyndication uses java quite a lot for it's adverts amongst other things and by blocking the content one is preventing some javascripts from running, Google has a lot to answer for.

@UncleUB css stands for cascading style sheets and as such is for decoration purposes and not operational. If they are taking up a lot of space, which is doubtful you can delete the messages quite safely.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2010, 08:00:06 AM »

I'm playing with the pre-release version of Opera 10.51 for Linux, and I can reproduce exactly the same problem when I block googlesyndication. So I think it's possibly a bug in Opera 10.5.

That being said, the Google ads aren't very intrusive, and help to pay for the site. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:11 AM »

Thank you all for the further comments.

Hokeydokey.............blocking googlesyndication in this version of Opera ( and in the previous version 10.10 which I had reinstalled alongside 10.50 as a tester ) causes the problem..........so avoid in-build Opera content blocker.. :thumbs:

As said the ads are not intrusive and do generate a little revenue so old TD can live with them................and on reflection this does remind me of a little issue that I had spotted weeks ago when I blocked the content, but which issue I had forgotten.
In previous versions of Opera, when blocking content, I could select one advert from a whole bunch of them and block that individual item only, leaving the rest in their glory...................however, in this version I can block all or nothing.
Must indeed be a bug in the content blocker which appears to be killing more than it should.
Will post an "error ticket"  about that on the Opera webbie

Woohoo...could TD's weeks of frustration really be at an end...  :fingers:

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:01 AM »

I agree about the ads helping to pay for the site and not being too obtrusive, but it is this google syndication that is the slight worry. I used to use FF and had a wonderful add on called NoScript which would stop any script from running. The thing is there is more than google running scripts in the background. Question is why should google need to be run against the submit button?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »

I'm afraid I have no idea about that question. There are of course various Kitz scripts concerned with the display of images and themes, but what happens beyond that I don't know.
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

anything