Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Filtered Faceplate  (Read 4379 times)

BravoTwoZero

• Just arrived
ADSL Filtered Faceplate
« on: September 18, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »

Hi

I'm new to the forum, ive had a quick search and couldnt find any thing relevant.

I've had a new BT openreach NTE5 master socket/phone line installed this morning, by a BT Openreach engineer (previously been with Virgin Media broadband)

I'll be receiving a new Netgear DG834 wireless router from my new ISP, the ADSL signal will be activated in the next few days, just a few questions:

a) do these BT Open reach NTE5 master sockets have a filter built in already ?
b) would i be able to fit one of the adsl filtered faceplates myself?
c) Which one is better, Solwise, Clarity or ADSL nation ?

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL Filtered Faceplate
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »

Hi and welcome

a) If the faceplate has a single telephone socket then no; if it has separate ADSL and phone sockets then yes.

b) Yes, but if you have no extensions there wouldn't be any point. If you do have extensions wired into the faceplate then you need an IDC insertion tool to do the job properly. The cheap plastic ones like they have in DIY shops are fine for occasional use.

c) Don't take this as an 'official' recommendation, but my preference would be Clarity or ADSL Nation - both are good.
  Eric

BravoTwoZero

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »

b) Im intending on moving the router upstairs, where there are 2 fairly old desktops and 1 laptop. So i was thinking of fitting the filtered faceplate and then running a 10m adsl lead from the adsl socket on the faceplate to the router upstairs. What do you think? As im trying to give the 2 slow desktops a good wireless signal hopefully.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:53:35 PM by BravoTwoZero »

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »

That sounds fine.
But it does depend somewhat on the 'health' of your line. If you've got a short, decent quality line you can get away with a lot. If your line is long and flakey then you need to be more careful.

I use a 25m shielded cable from my Master Socket (with ADSLNation faceplate) in the lost to my office - this works for me.

Perform some tests with and without the extension cable to see how things work for you...

BravoTwoZero

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »

Where did you buy your shielded cable from? Any recommendations? How about this one from Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45162 ?  

Ive been on Virgin Media's 20Meg service for a while, so got used to a solid and reliable service. But due to my finanical situation, i'm moving to ADSL 2+ !! I live about 1 mile from from the exchange, so im expecting around 6-8mbps from what a friend nearby tells me, so just want to do things properly and get the best out of my line.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »

Hi - Maplin's site seems to be down at the moment, but yes it was from Maplin.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »

Maplin seem to be back online! Yes, that the one I bought...

BravoTwoZero

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »

Nice one, my ADSL signal should be getting activated on the new BT line this coming week, so i'll set up using the BT openreach NTE5 master socket and see how that goes.

If not, i'll be getting one of those filtered master sockets to see IF they have any improvement

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »

Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

BravoTwoZero

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:53:50 PM »

My new ISP contacted today to say my ADSL service should be fully running within the next 2 weeks. I didnt take the call, but dont understand why its taking so long ?!!

Anyway, i unscrewed the bottom frontplate from the BT open reach NTE5 master socket, to find that there are actually no wires connected to the back of the faceplate, :hmm: they seem to be connected somewhere in the back box, maybe into the test socket? :hmm: i cant see where the curled up wires actually go. But i can see black, white, green and orange wires.

Whats going on? Will i still be able to fit my own ADSL filtered master socket if i need to?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »

If you don't have any extension (slave) sockets you won't have any wires attached to the front section of the socket.
The BT twisted pair is connected behind the socket and provides the signal to the test socket, or to the front plate when fitted.

You MUST put a dongle-type filter into the master socket or substitute the front plate with a filtered one if your BT Master socket is a single telephone socket.

Kind regards,
Walter

BravoTwoZero

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:15:07 AM »

Ohhh !!!  :thumbs: that clears up my confusion

Thanks for all the help so far  ;D

anything