Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sunday 19th  (Read 4884 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Sunday 19th
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »

Morning everyone,

Not sure if anyone else is going to start this yet...wonder if our posts will cross lol.

Grey and blowy in my neck of the woods at the mo....wonder if we will get any rain later, well at least it will save us watering the garden....

Hope you all have a good day whatever you've got lined up and that the weather is behaving itself where you are.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Sunday 19th
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »

Good morning, Chrissie, and all who may pop in.  ;D

Cold, grey and drizzy....and windy......just right for all them golfing types up the road.. :(

Nothing on the agenda, relaxing and pottering around today.

Hope all are well...have a good one.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »

Going to have a moan about something that occurred yesterday.   I had my credit card stolen literally right under my nose.

I was in a store with chris and we'd both bought separate shopping.   The cashier put chris's through he paid, and then she started putting mine through when chris's still hadn't been bagged, so I moved to the bottom of the till, started helping bag chris's and then mine when it came through.. as by now it was all getting in a muddle at the end of the till.  She'd passed all mine through and told me the total so I went back to the till put my credit card in the card thingy entered my PIN and it was one of those processing......... wait........ moments.  So I continued bagging my shopping. 
Then before I knew it the next customers purchases started coming through so I dashed to continue putting mine in the bags.. turned round and was about to walk out of the store when I realised that I couldnt recall getting my card back.

I'd not even left the store and so I asked the cashier if she had my card...  she said no..  "are you sure you havent got it - check your shopping/bags"... 
and then murmered something very quietly that didnt register at that particular moment in time... "that if I hadnt  perhaps you should put a stop on it".

So me and chris spent the next 5/10 mins going through my handbag and shopping just to make sure I hadnt put it away somewhere stupid.

After going through and double and triple checking everything I insisted I hadnt got my card and at which point she called over the supervisor.
Supervisor offered to check the CCTV.. so hung around for about another 10 mins whilst that was done and when she came back down she said I'd better put a stop on my card straight away.

CCTV revealed that the people behind were the culprits.... the woman had moved over to the machine and taken it..  and then passed it to the guy who casually had walked past, exited the store leaving the woman with baby in pushchair to quickly pay for her shopping.

Couple of points..
okay it was my own fault for leaving the card unattended in the machine whilst it was authorising, but I suppose I was panicked at the shopping built up at the end of the tray. :(

After the supervisor had confirmed what had happened on video.. the cashier then admitted .. "I thought that is what happened" as shed seen the woman move over to the machine and thought shed seen him pass my card to the guy. 
If that was the case and she thought she had seen the guy do something..  why on earth didnt she make it clearer at the time when I first asked about my card.  She let me continue checking through everything about 6 times and empty all my shopping back out.  I really cant believe she let me continue checking through everything for so long.

Now comes the thing that really did annoy me... and thats Eggs handling of reporting of stolen cards.
Firstly its an 0845 number..   and no one answered despite calling several times... and hanging on for about 20mins with the usual "we are doing everything we can to answer your call type message" (during which time I'd used up about £12 of credit).  :(

After aborted attempts to reach Eggs lost/stolen helpline... I went home and tried to ring from there.  25mins later and still no-one had yet answered my call and it was now over an hour since the card had been stolen.

Eggs handling of the stolen card I am not impressed with..  It should not take over an hour of ringing to try and get through to someone in a foreign call centre who was hard to understand. 
I even attempted to tell her the time of my last transaction which she wasnt bothered about and instead insisted the last purchase was for something I'd bought previously. 

One thing Im not too bothered about is I doubt they will be able to do anything with the card..  as when I enter my PIN I always shield it with my other hand.
(confirmed by the supervisor that they couldnt see me entering my PIN on CCTV). 
Annoying thing is.. its not pay day till the 21st and Ive no credit card until the replacement comes through in about a week.... which means atm I cant purchase something that I want to :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »

:(  Kitz,  sorry to read your bad news  !  That sounds like a sloppy way of serving customers !!    It's startling that this can happen under your nose so to speak.   Egg certainly need to up their 'customer service' ...  pleased that you are confident that your PIN hasn't been noted  .....   what a lot of inconvenience for you   :(

Did the store contact  the police and show them the CCTV   ?? 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »

I believe that nowadays the police refuse to have anything to do with credit card fraud unless the complaint comes to them from the bank. But I'm not sure about straight theft - I guess they do have to pay attention to that. But it's rather academic if the card is cancelled and no fraud has been committed. Just very irritating and inconvenient to the customer.

I'm certainly not impressed with either the store or Egg. The store's (in)action was dreadful, and it should certainly be possible to get a fast response from the bank when reporting a theft. Two big black marks there. :(
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »

I see what you mean Eric; I thought perhaps because there was a 'theft' the store would have contacted the police. I bet they would have acted quicker if there had been a 'theft' of their  'own property'    ::)    It's a pity they don't print the CCTV image out and post it outside all other stores

As you say not very impressive of the store or Egg  ....  :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »

Oh dear Kitz,

Your fault or not,it just shows what a lot of thieving scum there is out there.

As regards to Egg,I personally have never had one of their cards and after your dealings with them I am unlikely to.

What an awful customer service and an 0845 number to boot.  >:(

You would think their stolen card/fraud helpline would be manned and answered immediately,just shows how they value their customers. >:(

I wonder looking at the CCTV if the thieves are known to the police.

Thank god you shielded your pin from pryin eyes.

Oh Snap.

• Reg Member
  • You're as weak as the hearts you break.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »

I believe that if mum wanted to get her own back, she can actually request a copy of that CCTV tape, make a still, and make her own posters to post around town.

But that's just me, and I can be a vindictive little moo if someone p's me off.
Maybe it's not my weekend, But it's gonna be my year.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

I believe that if mum wanted to get her own back, she can actually request a copy of that CCTV tape, make a still, and make her own posters to post around town.

And truly justified on this occasion.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

I know its a while since Ive been in banking, but we used to always request a police crime reference number for stolen cards.  This was really more to ensure that if there was any fraudulent use that it could be followed up.

I think the police are far less concerned these days with something like this as its considered petty theft...  I'm sure Ive mentioned before on here, that once upon a time any stolen fraudulent cheques always used to go off for fingerprining and the police even used to collect such cheques from the bank. I know they used to request CCTV footage from stores.
AFIAK they dont bother these days.. it may depend on the amount involved?

I mentioned to Egg a couple of times that it had been caught on the stores CCTV but they simply were not interested.

>> I bet they would have acted quicker if there had been a 'theft' of their  'own property'   

You make a very valid point.. wonder if she would have dallied about so much if she thought the man/woman had slipped a 25p pack of polos from the counter display into his pocket?

>> Did the store contact  the police and show them the CCTV   

Nope - didnt even offer... nor offer to let us use their phone... think they were concerned about the impending closing time.

Not really bad news - especially not with my luck of late..  I think even chris was surprised at how I took it in my stride..  aside that is from getting really annoyed at not being able to get through to Egg.

From the time on the till receipt,  the card was stolen at around 17:46. 
I first attempted to contact Egg by mobile phone sometime before 6pm.. but after we'd still not managed to get through and the store was closing at 6, they asked us to leave so they could lock up. 
We were still trying in the carpark and left it still saying the usual "please do not hang up - we are doing everything we can to connect you" in the car on the way home.  Once home I immediately used the landline..  and didnt get through to someone at egg until after 7pm.  If they had my PIN they could easily do some serious damage in an hour and a half or so.

TBH I doubt even if the people who'd knicked it would even attempt to use it.  Even though the guy had gone, the woman was still at the checkout when I first said I hadnt got my card back... so if she'd arranged to meet the guy around the corner then they'd must know that the theft had been noticed and the card would pretty soon be reported as stolen.
Its now likely in a bin somewhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »

Didnt know that...
Perhaps you'd like to go in and ask since its only a couple of doors away from your work..  :D
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »

.... she can actually request a copy of that CCTV tape, make a still, and make her own posters to post around town.

Didnt know that...
Perhaps you'd like to go in and ask since its only a couple of doors away from your work..  :D
Sorry "DATA PROTECTION"
Also, "innocent until proven otherwise.

In "theory" they should not be giving you a copy of the CCTV footage.
However you may want to ask them to make a "Archive copy" of the incident so the police can view it.
(Just in-case they scrub over it) although most decent systems keep a copy for at least 7 - 30 days, depending on the HDD.

But sorry to hear of the incident.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:08:49 AM »

As regards Egg,if that was me they would be history.

There are plenty of credit card providers who will be willing to take you as a valid customer

Going back 18 months when someone had got my Halifax card number from somewhere(my card had never left the house)so it must have been an online transaction.
Halifax security contacted me to ask if I had tried to use my card in a Hotel at 1am that morning.Apparently there had been 3 failed attempts to use my card to the approximate value of £1100.
The Halifax were alerted straight away and instantly stopped the card.
So I would say full marks to the Halifax for being on the ball

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:31:17 AM »

I've got an Egg credit card, and in the past I've found them to be similarly alert to possible security problems. An attempt was made to buy something quite cheap (just a few pounds) but the perpetrator had been flagged as suspect so they called me to check it. I was fairly impressed at the time. But I must say, Kitz' experience has made me think again.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »

Oh dear, Kitz, what a dreadful experience......a few seconds inattention and it all goes wrong.

One way and another you are having a distressing time of it, I trust that your luck will change soon.

I hope that the thieves have not managed to enact any transactions on your card, and that they have not managed to extract any personal data from the swipe strip

Thinking of you... :flower:
Pages: [1] 2