Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: ADSL Max problems  (Read 31799 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: ADSL Max problems
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »

I have read in another thread that rebooting the router a few times will help force the BRAS profile to correct itself
It will probably have the opposite effect, be seen as an error and force the target SNR higher!
A regular, say daily, reboot to take advantage of improving conditions by a higher sync speed is all you need, and ONLY if things are getting better (otherwise just leave it alone).

markthomas

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »

OK thanks for the advice... I was planning to leave it alone and let it sort itself out.

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »

Just confirming what the others say - leave it alone as much as possible in this particular instance.  (There are times when we do recommend a reboot but the trick is knowing when it works best for what lines).
An occasional reboot should be fine, but the less you mess with it right now the sooner it should recover .

An IP profile increase like yours should recover pretty soon :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

markthomas

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »

Checked it this morning and the sync had dropped from 2.3mb to 1.6mb.  Not sure what happened, routerstats showed the SN margin dropping to 0 and then back up to 12db at 6:30am. 

Do I just leave it at 1.6mb?

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:13 AM »

>> routerstats showed the SN margin dropping to 0

:'( :'(

What happened one big dip?   or gradual decline.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

markthomas

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »

One big dip... just a sudden drop to 0 and then back up to 12db.  It re-sync'd at 1.6mb at the same time.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:27 AM »

That's not real (well it sort of is), it's just Routerstats not getting a sample during the re-sync.  ;)

markthomas

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »

Yeah I agree.... I have a feeling that the SN margin drop was caused by the re-sync (not sure what caused that though...).

As I am still seeing constant +/-3db fluctuations in the SN margin if re-syncs whilst the SN margin is lower then it connects at 1.6mb, if it re-syncs when it's normal (12-13db) then it connects at 2.3mb.  I have just waited for the SN margin to go back to normal and re-sync'd in the DMT tool and it's reconnected at 2.3mb again.

I'm hoping that there is still more work to be done by Wessex Water to correct the REIN being generated by the pumping station, should find out when I speak to them tomorrow.

Mark.

markthomas

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »

Had an update from BT today via UKOnline.  They have stated that the issue is not yet resolved and they are continuing to work with Wessex Water to fix it.  The target date for resolution is now tomorrow.

IP Profile now 1250 so things looking up  ;D.  Sync still dropping from 2.1mb to 1.6mb for some reason, I'll wait until it's all sorted and see if this is still happening.

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »

Lets hope theres some more news tomorrow.
-----

markthomas

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

Not heard anything from BT or Wessex water yet...

However I did get another re-sync at 6:25am this morning which dropped the sync speed down to 1.6mb.  Here is what router stats reported:

Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:23:24,    Noise Margin= 12.0, Sync Speed= 2176, 0 days, 11:36:09
Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:23:39,    Noise Margin= 7.5, Sync Speed= 2176, 0 days, 11:36:24
Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:23:54,    Noise Margin= -8.4294, Sync Speed= 2176, 0 days, 11:36:39
Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:24:09,    Noise Margin= , Sync Speed= , 3  401
Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:24:24,    Noise Margin= , Sync Speed= , 3  401
Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:24:39,    Noise Margin= 13.0, Sync Speed= 1600, 0 days, 0:00:07

I'm trying to work out whether it was a massive change in the noise margin which caused the re-sync or whether the data being reported is just a result of the line dropping for some other reason.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »

Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:23:54,    Noise Margin= -8.4294, Sync Speed= 2176, 0 days, 11:36:39
Tue 18 Nov 2008  06:24:09,    Noise Margin= , Sync Speed= , 3  401

Thats the strange one really, because your sync speed has increased.

If the drop out was followed by a lower sync speed, then it would normally be the case that your SNRM has decreased to the point whereby you router 'has been forced' to resync to get a more stable speed.

Its very rare to see an auto resync to get a higher speed.
So either the router/routerstats or massive noise spikes all over the show. Whats the SRNM like in between?

Those resyncs are going to be playing havoc with the DLM :/
-----

markthomas

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »

I'm not sure the sync speed increased... I thought it decreased!  It was sync'd at 2176, disconnected and then re-sync'd at 1600, unless I'm reading the data wrong.  I have a feeling that whatever has caused this is completely separate to the other noise issues being caused by the pumping station.  It happened again this morning just after we got up and again tonight when we came home from work.  Sounds like I might have something else in the house causing REIN  :(.

I had an update from BT and Wessex Water today about the pumping station.  BT has implemented some form of filtering to reduce to affects of the REIN being generated by the pumping station.  These improvements are now allowing me to sync at 2mb, although the REIN from the pumping station is still clearly visible in routerstats it is reduced.

Wessex Water have not started the work on the pumping station yet.  It sounds like there is quite a bit of work to do which may take 4-6 weeks to complete.

Mark.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »

Sorry if I've misinterpreted.  I was looking at the bit I'd highlighted/quoted in my post above..  which seems to show s sync of 2176 and then a resync a bit later at 3401, which does seem to be an increase in speed.   ???

At least you know they are still working on a solution.
-----

markthomas

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »

I switched back to my Netgear 834G V3 last night and it didn't resync this morning or tonight as it has done for the past couple of days.  Early days but it's looking better. 

IP Profile now 1750k  ;D.  Much better than the 350k I used to have.  Hopefully it will go up to 2000k at some point, although I am sync'd at 2208kbps at the moment I and I think I need 2272kbps.

Mark.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

anything