Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: FTTP Technical issues - looking for insight  (Read 18069 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Technical issues - looking for insight
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2023, 05:52:36 PM »

AFAIK its always working days when dealing with any business.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2023, 05:55:04 PM »

AFAIK its always working days when dealing with any business.
Fair, but they would normally say working days. Either way, not long now (hopefully)  :fingers: - clearly they are running it down to the wire!  :lol:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2023, 06:01:52 PM »

Fair, but they would normally say working days. Either way, not long now (hopefully)  :fingers: - clearly they are running it down to the wire!  :lol:

I'd be shocked if the official line is not "Openreach normally do this within 10 working days", its not like time frames are ever set in stone.  I'm more curious if they will remember to tag the line to not be migrated again.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2023, 06:51:30 PM »

I'd be shocked if the official line is not "Openreach normally do this within 10 working days", its not like time frames are ever set in stone.  I'm more curious if they will remember to tag the line to not be migrated again.

You and me both. Maybe I should run a sweepstake on how long it will be before a migration takes me back. Winner gets a packet of digestives or something  :D

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2023, 08:31:12 AM »

Maybe you have briefly been migrated back to BT wholesale already, but then 'accidently' automatically migrated back again to Zen back haul.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2023, 11:03:27 AM »

Maybe you have briefly been migrated back to BT wholesale already, but then 'accidently' automatically migrated back again to Zen back haul.
That would be cruel.  I got at least 3 weeks... :)

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2023, 07:30:24 AM »

2 weeks / 10 working days later - they've done something, because I've not had any internet since 2am. Now need to wait until they are open to get through to them  :-\

I've got a fibre link, but failing authentication. This is ridiculous. How can they secretly, and seamlessly (not withstanding the following issues) perform a migration from Wholesale to Zen GEA with no fuss, not a whimper, no downtime but make such a massive meal of doing it the other way?

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2023, 08:22:19 AM »

I think this i read about this in one of the other similar cases, when you get switched back something related to the authentication changes and you will need Zen to sort it out for you.

Hopefully this is a good sign that your awful experience is shortly coming to an end.

Best of luck for when technical services opens :)

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2023, 05:42:42 PM »

So far so good. After 45 mins this morning with Tech support, and then Orders I was back online by 0915. Apparently OR had marked it complete in one system/portal, but not the other, so Zen had to 'nudge' them.

Apart from 2 minor blips early on, I have seen consistent speeds all day >850Mb/s. The longest I ever had on the Zen GEA was a few hours every now and then, with periods of hours at <100Mb/s, or even <5Mb/s.

Packet loss as seen on the TBB BQM has vanished.

Ping has increased from 6ms on the Zen GEA to around 9-10ms on Wholesale but that's fine - I can finally use the internet again!

For interest/comparison Purposes - see attached my plot for the last 48Hours on the Zen GEA - absolutely abysmal.

Sunday/Monday I will post up 48 hours back on Wholesale to compare - my hopes are high - let's hope it sticks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 04:48:05 PM by Jasonkruys »

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2023, 09:10:36 PM »

I'm delighted to hear that you are seeing a better quality of service now you are off Zen Gea and I hope that it continues.

I'm sure Zen have lots of satisfied customers on their fttp Gea product, but there have now been enough of these examples to frighten me off and I'll probably go with aaisp if/when fttp becomes available here as whilst I've been very happy with zen for over a decade, they either don't seem to know how to fix this problem or the fix is so complex or expensive that they won't fix it and I don't want to run the slight risk of ending up in the same predicament that you and a handful of other users have as a non functional connection for 4-6 weeks would significantly impact my work.

Thank you so much for the updates and l hope that this will be a permanent fix for you.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2023, 01:38:43 AM »

2 weeks / 10 working days later - they've done something, because I've not had any internet since 2am. Now need to wait until they are open to get through to them  :-\

I've got a fibre link, but failing authentication. This is ridiculous. How can they secretly, and seamlessly (not withstanding the following issues) perform a migration from Wholesale to Zen GEA with no fuss, not a whimper, no downtime but make such a massive meal of doing it the other way?
Standard.  Happened to me both migrations after the initial migration, in both directions (Zen -> BTW and BTW -> Zen). Zen have systems held together with wet string.  They have separate login systems for the authentication and they have to move your login from one to the other is what I understand. 

Good luck!  Glad you are back up to speed now though.  Long may it continue.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2023, 01:53:23 AM »

Standard.  Happened to me both migrations after the initial migration, in both directions (Zen -> BTW and BTW -> Zen). Zen have systems held together with wet string.  They have separate login systems for the authentication and they have to move your login from one to the other is what I understand. 

Which is utterly bizarre, as isn't the whole point of sticking with PPP in order to make authentication easier?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2023, 10:16:44 AM »

Plusnet were a nightmare for some time, between that and them pioneering traffic shaping which was outright broken for me - it used to throttle my Usenet 24/7 when it was supposed to only kick in after a given amount of data per month.

What I was talking about wasn't an ISP at blame problem, the Ellacoyas had long gone.  Congestion was at the BTw MSILs and PN did have sufficient capacity on their host links. That MSIL problem dragged on for months with BTw denying there was an issue.  Personally Ive had far more problems with BTw congestion than I ever have had with PN.  My post was saying that BTw/Openreach weren't always on the ball when it comes to monitoring for congestion. 

I'm not quite sure how it would work though if there was some sort of issue on the BTw side before handover to Zen at the L2 switches, there will obviously be different routing and paths.   I dont think Im explaining it very well but the Zen pipes are likely going to be smaller than the BTw pipes...  and we all know that even if the contention ratio is exactly the same, the smaller the pipe then any sign of congestion is far less forgiving.   Whatever, there is something going wrong.  It's scattered nationwide but doesnt affect all of them.  BTw let PN carry the can for months when the problem was actually congestion at their side.  I think Zen need to keep pushing Openreach for answers because its nots doing their reputation any good.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2023, 10:22:01 AM »

@Jasonkeys

Congrats on the successful migration back.  \o/

I do hope that Zen dont think this is fully resolved though as theres still other cases that are rumbling away in the background.   Whilst it may have sorted your problem for now.   What ever it is that is causing it hasnt really been fully resolved and could rear its head again for other customers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2023, 01:27:50 PM »

@Jasonkeys

Congrats on the successful migration back.  \o/

I do hope that Zen dont think this is fully resolved though as theres still other cases that are rumbling away in the background.   Whilst it may have sorted your problem for now.   What ever it is that is causing it hasnt really been fully resolved and could rear its head again for other customers.
Be interesting to know if it has behaved over the weekend.
I think whatever may be the technical reasons behind it, the saddest bit is that Zen seem ineffective in getting them resolved; here we have close to 2 months elapsed.  It seems frankly ludicrous, though I'm fully aware that's the way it is, as I had even longer with my line (albeit it wasn't as broken as the OP's).  It seems almost unfathomable that these issues are isolated to a single user at a given exchange, so while it's "good" that eventually people who complain enough manage to get migrated off, the general "smell" is terrible. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8