Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone pro II and local dhcp  (Read 2183 times)

timdf911

Vodafone pro II and local dhcp
« on: May 20, 2023, 11:55:11 AM »

Hi

I'm hoping someone can kindly as this question.

I've just signed up for Vodafone pro II 900 (due to be installed 8th June) and will need to bind a number of devices to a fixed ip address based on their mac address for my local network.

Using DHCP would cause major problems.  I have about 85 devices on my network and approx 30 need fixed ip in the form 192.168.1.xx

Is there a way to allocated these address by using the router admin page much like I currently do with the THG3000 ?

The setup 'app'  for wifi doesn't seem to offer this facility and I'm hoping the router admin page hasn't been crippled.

Not being able to bind mac to ip would be a deal breaker for me and would cause me to down grade to basic 900 fibre and use an after market router etc.

Any help gratefully received.

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Vodafone pro II and local dhcp
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 09:49:43 AM »

Are you not going to be using your current THG3000? Just use the WAN port to connect? job done.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

timdf911

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 09:28:57 PM »

Hi Parkdale

thanks for the reply, but one of the reasons I went for Pro II is the ultra hub and it's mesh wifi.
I had though about simply using the wan port on the THG with wifi turned off, but the THG gui sucks and was hoping the Ultra hub might be better plus have the cpu power to handle 900m fttp.
As a fall back I've built a pihole and loaded it with all my static leases etc so all I'd need to do is disable the dhcp on the new router.
Regards Tim

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 03:52:48 PM »

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't support static leases.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

timdf911

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 08:39:19 PM »

Hi Alex
me too I expect the gui will support setting up static IP leases, but as it turns out I've set up a pihole configured to handle all my static devices and block ads at the dns level.
So my plan is to retain the pihole for DHCP / static along with ad blocking - so all I'll have to do on the new router when it arrives is to disable its dhcp server and set up port forwarding as it is now.
Had a visit from OR today to run the fibre in readiness fir the install, but duct was blocked so now have an overhead fibre instead.