Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ONT mains surge protection  (Read 1995 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ONT mains surge protection
« on: January 20, 2023, 08:25:24 AM »

What do you do to protect your ONT from lightning damage via the mains?

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: ONT mains surge protection
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »

A UPS and a backup 4G and/or FTTC connection.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 09:35:53 AM »

What do you do to protect your ONT from lightning damage via the mains?

I use the wall-wart UPS you recommended.  The ONT only uses 2.5W max so should last ages on that.  Of course wont do me much good given the router and switch only have 10-15 minutes.  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 09:43:06 AM »

Well - does an ONT really need UPS coverage? It's not like a FTTC where maintaining a constant connection is desirable.

Can't wait to be rid of FTTC but, not a lot of choice.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 10:17:59 AM »

YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 10:26:13 AM »

Well - does an ONT really need UPS coverage?
You may want to maintain your network during a planned/unplanned power outage, eg check your DNO's website for faults during a power outage? I have had to do that twice recently, as my 4G reception is not brilliant indoors.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 10:30:45 AM »

Well - does an ONT really need UPS coverage? It's not like a FTTC where maintaining a constant connection is desirable.

Can't wait to be rid of FTTC but, not a lot of choice.

If you want VoIP to work during a prelonged power cut where the cell towers run out of juice, then yeah. ;)  Its unlikely to happen, but worth considering for some.  Or if someone is working using cloud applications using their laptop, could be useful to have a few minutes to tidy up what you were doing.

Its rather too complicated for me given my setup, as the router only gets 15 minutes power anyway (I don't have the physical space for a higher capacity UPS).  I should probably find an old router and configure it for Zen as a backup anyway though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 10:56:35 AM »

Course, VoIP.

I'd just use my mobile so wouldn't worry about keeping my VoIP running - same problem with DECT though - base needs power to operate and I haven't owned a corded telephone since... who even knows... :) Not that would be of any use as I've no landline to make calls off anymore :)

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »

I use the wall-wart UPS you recommended.  The ONT only uses 2.5W max so should last ages on that.  Of course wont do me much good given the router and switch only have 10-15 minutes.  ::)

As I'm all about the detail and just FYI, Weaver, my 4 port Huawei HG8240H draws 3.6 watts at peak hunger and my YouFibre Adtran 622v 6.6 watts. The Adtran is almost certainly using a smaller fabrication process for the chips however the XGSPON laser is a little more power hungry than a GPON one and 10GBase-T is notorious for power consumption relative to alternatives.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 02:02:33 PM »

An 'online' UPS, but some other devices are also connected to the UPS. It should last around an hour or so assuming all of the currently connected devices remain connected. After that there's my petrol generator which is handy in the event of an extended power outage.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 02:05:02 PM by Ixel »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 01:13:36 PM »

As I'm all about the detail and just FYI, Weaver, my 4 port Huawei HG8240H draws 3.6 watts at peak hunger and my YouFibre Adtran 622v 6.6 watts. The Adtran is almost certainly using a smaller fabrication process for the chips however the XGSPON laser is a little more power hungry than a GPON one and 10GBase-T is notorious for power consumption relative to alternatives.

Its my understanding 10GBase-T will pull at least 2W raising up to 5W depending on cable length with Gigabit more like half a watt.

I can't find the numbers for 2.5G and 5G but its clearly much lower given both can run off a 5v 900mA USB adapter, though I wonder if that impacts the max cable length?

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »

The 10GBase-T SFP+ connected to the ONT is... toasty.

It actually triggers the router's fans. Look at the delta between CPU temperature and that module  :'(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 01:20:37 PM by XGS_Is_On »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 02:22:22 PM »

Yeah I notice my Aquantia AQC107 NIC gets pretty toasty, some people were claiming it was crashing due to heat though I found it only had issues on Windows and updating the firmware (touch wood) so far seems to have solved it.

Although idle:
Code: [Select]
enp6s0-pci-0600
Adapter: PCI adapter
PHY Temperature:  +82.9°C 
MAC Temperature:  +79.8°C

Under load:
enp6s0-pci-0600
PHY Temperature:  +84.3°C 
MAC Temperature:  +81.0°C

ASUS really should have used TiM on these, instead they have a stupid thermal pad which clearly is struggling.

Oh interesting, forcing EEE on with ethtool:

IDLE:
enp6s0-pci-0600
PHY Temperature:  +77.3°C 
MAC Temperature:  +74.7°C

LOAD:
enp6s0-pci-0600
PHY Temperature:  +80.8°C 
MAC Temperature:  +77.4°C

Rather annoying that Aquantia do not mention the maximum chip temperature, only operating temperature of 55C which clearly must mean inside the case as they mention passive.  It also seems rather unrealistic given the above in an actively cooled case, but I guess they weren't counting on ASUS making a card with a crap interface and heatsink.

To be fair I've not had any performance problems with it (unlike the same card in my Windows 11 box) and I would have gone Intel but I only have a 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:01:07 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Robbie

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 07:01:20 PM »

I use an Eaton 3S Mini for my ONT power; I used the same unit for my G.fast modem before it. 

I also have a PoE splitter that I can use from my main rack UPS... should outages become more protracted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eaton-3S-Mini-black-white/dp/B092TG9M7C

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 12:01:12 PM »

The 10GBase-T SFP+ connected to the ONT is... toasty.

It actually triggers the router's fans. Look at the delta between CPU temperature and that module  :'(

I have some small fans blowing over my S+RJ10's in the switch, each with a rather small heatsink on the top side of them. My most active one seems to be around 64C to 65C at the moment, room temperature is currently 24.5 C.

Every little helps I guess :D, but yeah they do get a little warm. Even the onboard LANs on both of my Threadripper systems do, quite a bit hotter than 65C if I don't have any cooling fans running in the case.
Pages: [1] 2

anything