Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ONT mains surge protection  (Read 1995 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: ONT mains surge protection
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 02:07:30 PM »

The AQC107 seems particularly bad, there are reports of even the ones on motherboards dropping out from overheating.  I think their data sheet was wildly optimistic about cooling, although the manufacturers must have done some really poor testing also.

It would be interesting to test an ONT with a NBASE-T port that supports 10Gbit and see what the power draw difference is between 1,2.5,5 and 10.  As the ONT itself should draw very little, it should be easier to guesstimate what the NIC is consuming.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 10:52:58 AM »

I have some small fans blowing over my S+RJ10's in the switch, each with a rather small heatsink on the top side of them. My most active one seems to be around 64C to 65C at the moment, room temperature is currently 24.5 C.

Not a bad idea, I've some USB fans that'll hit the spot, however it's a case of where I can get the air onto the module. It's in SFP 3 of one of these:

https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_images/2118_hi_res.png
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 12:17:44 PM »

Ixel you are a legend. Have a USB fan precariously aimed at the module from underneath and it's brought temperature down to the point where the router's switched its fans off.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 01:06:21 PM »

I think most of these posts are missing the point of the original question, which wasn't related to retaining service during a power cut, but preventing damage to the ONT from a surge owing to lightning strike.  I think to be honest you're going to have bigger issues than your ONT if you receive an equipment damaging lighting strike to the house - the ONT doesn't have a conductive path to the phone network, so it's no more or less likely to be damaged than any other device in the home connected to the mains; plus it's one of the few devices that aren't even your responsibility to replace if it is damaged (that falls to Openreach).  If you were really worried about it and planning for the absolute worst; I suppose what you'd want is a fibre-ethernet converter on the ethernet port of the ONT, with the ONT and the fibre ethernet device being battery powered during storms...

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 02:57:25 PM »

Ixel you are a legend. Have a USB fan precariously aimed at the module from underneath and it's brought temperature down to the point where the router's switched its fans off.

Nice and you're welcome! :thumbs:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2023, 11:33:24 PM »

I think most of these posts are missing the point of the original question, which wasn't related to retaining service during a power cut, but preventing damage to the ONT from a surge owing to lightning strike.

Not at all, I mentioned the UPS as unless I am mis-remembering something it has surge protection built in, pretty standard for most if not all UPS I think.  I can't remember if its lightening grade or not, but then if its a direct enough strike on the mains its unlikely anything will protect it.

Of course the beauty of an ONT is you don't have any metal coming into the property, there are support wires in the drop cable for rigidity but that ends at box outside.

When our chimney got hit it was the phone line it did the most damage from, although there was enough residual to leave smoke in the utility room where the breakers were and blow up a neon on a switch - but nothing seemed to get damaged from the mains itself.

We did drift off into talk of 10Gbit though, after we all came the same conclusion of using a UPS.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 11:49:34 PM »

I’m glad to hear that your ONT is voltage and current-compatible with the mini lion DC UPS’s that I have already. I have two that are not in use any more as my WAPs were powered by them but are now POE. Even though I realise that the likelihood of lightning strike would be ridiculously low with FTTP, this is such an extremely bad place here, so high and exposed. I would want UPS power as well anyway, until we can start our generator. We have another UPS for the router, modems, switches and WAPs, but I’m worried about the runtime, so I ought to do an experiment.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »

I’m glad to hear that your ONT is voltage and current-compatible with the mini lion DC UPS’s that I have already. I have two that are not in use any more as my WAPs were powered by them but are now POE. Even though I realise that the likelihood of lightning strike would be ridiculously low with FTTP, this is such an extremely bad place here, so high and exposed. I would want UPS power as well anyway, until we can start our generator. We have another UPS for the router, modems, switches and WAPs, but I’m worried about the runtime, so I ought to do an experiment.

Yeah the only problem was the DC jack, it had to go through two adapters which I don't like (and I can't remember if its ones that particular UPS came with or I scavenged from the adapters I've collected from other 12V UPS devices).  But then we now know they are rolling out a different ONT, so maybe that will have a different jack again?
Pages: 1 [2]

anything