Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach Trial New FTTP Option for Copper Lines with Complex Faults  (Read 3347 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Openreach Trial New FTTP Option for Copper Lines with Complex Faults
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 08:50:40 PM »

It's a good idea.

People need to be encouraged to FTTP as much as they can be. If its possible.

At some point, if its not already happening, OR need to start making copper based products more costly to sell to customers, so ISP's will prioritise FTTP.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 09:51:17 PM »

It's a good idea.

At some point, if its not already happening, OR need to start making copper based products more costly to sell to customers, so ISP's will prioritise FTTP.

That's all well and good but not all of us can actually get FTTP yet - so yeah - as long as the money went back into FTTP locally? They'll argue it will be of course.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 09:54:06 PM by dee.jay »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 10:04:52 PM »

OR's copper prices are regulated but the stop-sell they introduce on copper products will have a similar effect

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 03:16:03 AM »

It's a good idea.

Remember some areas are and will remain copper only from Openreach.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »

Remember some areas are and will remain copper only from Openreach.

I thought it was rather implied that they meant "in areas where FTTP is available".  Of course, that's easier said than done as it makes ISP pricing a lot more tricky and especially having to deal with a customer who is in a FTTP area but their specific premises cannot get the service.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ad47uk

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 05:32:17 PM »

It's a good idea.

Why? It should be up to the consumer at the end of the day. Sure if everyone in a city is on fibre and there are only a few left on FTTC then maybe I agree with you, but until that happens, people should have the choice and not be forced to move by increasing prices for FTTC or making out that there is fault that can't be fixed.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 10:29:03 PM »

Why? It should be up to the consumer at the end of the day. Sure if everyone in a city is on fibre and there are only a few left on FTTC then maybe I agree with you, but until that happens, people should have the choice and not be forced to move by increasing prices for FTTC or making out that there is fault that can't be fixed.

Because it costs more to maintain a copper service and consumers are putting up with an inferior service without even realising it.  Plus there are faults that can't be fixed.

At the very least, customers should be warned if they are experiencing a slower FTTC service when FTTP is available to them for the same price.

By not pushing people to FTTP, especially people still using the phone line for calls, its just going to result in a really bad situation later when POTS is retired and they're trying to migrate people over to VoIP, some on FTTC connections that are saturated so will perform poorly on VoIP.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ad47uk

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 06:48:14 AM »

Because it costs more to maintain a copper service and consumers are putting up with an inferior service without even realising it.  Plus there are faults that can't be fixed.

At the very least, customers should be warned if they are experiencing a slower FTTC service when FTTP is available to them for the same price.

By not pushing people to FTTP, especially people still using the phone line for calls, its just going to result in a really bad situation later when POTS is retired and they're trying to migrate people over to VoIP, some on FTTC connections that are saturated so will perform poorly on VoIP.

Customers being told it is available, I have no problem with that as long as it is a one time thing and not blasting customers with emails.  I have VoIP already, had it for years and it works fine on FTTC, not that I use it so much these days.

FTTH is available here, via Openreach and Alt network, at the moment i am fine with FTTC, it does what I need.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 04:55:33 PM »

Oh goodie.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 04:59:47 PM »

Oh no.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 02:20:51 PM »

Oh goodie.

Indeed.
The anti FTTP / conspiracy theories are repetitive and beyond tiring.

That's 3 websites I need to read the same nonsense on now.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »

Then we have the flip-side complaining because they put new poles up in their area.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:14:33 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 06:11:18 PM »

Indeed.

Indeed

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 02:03:18 PM »

Indeed.

This forum has an ignore function. ISPR I just don't use anymore as the comments section there is cancerous. TBB I use far, far less than I used to as he seems to post about 1/3rd of the entire forum content and I don't read it so what's the point?

Pity. Been using ISPR and TBB / ADSLGuide for 20-odd years. Oh well, never mind.

I'm very much hoping that this trial will also be followed by expediting FTTP delivery to areas where there are many copper faults well above the median. Make FTTP available, refuse to maintain the copper anymore, the business case improves substantially both due to higher take up and no more copper truck rolls.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2