Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Orange LLU  (Read 6656 times)

Old_nick

• Just arrived
Re: Orange LLU
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:44 AM »

The router stats graphs are just straight lines, nothing changes for days in between resyncs.  Er, plus I can't seem to copy and paste 'um?! {edit - now I see how to do it!}.

What really bothers me is that my Rx sync rate is Soooo much less than it used to be.  I don't understand why?  Today it is 2645, back in Jan '07 it was 6720, Nov '07 is was 6176, April '08 it was 5716 and August '08 it was 3383.

I get the impression that the ISP can manipulate SNR, down and up stream rates, but I thought sync speed was uncontrollable.  Is this right?  What would cause sync rate to reduce over time?

There are more questions than answers, ooo that could be another song Kitz  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:17:17 AM by Old_nick »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »

>> The router stats graphs are just straight lines, nothing changes for days in between resyncs

Your resync figure wont change between syncs.   Its your target SNR that dictates your sync speed...  which is taken into account only when you perform a resync.

Its your SNR Margin that needs to be monitored.

>> I get the impression that the ISP can manipulate SNR, down and up stream rates, but I thought sync speed was uncontrollable.

Nope SNRMargin is the Signal to Noise Ratio and this entirely depends upon the condition of your phone line and any local interference (Noise).
The ISP can change your Target SNR, which is what your SNRM should be at when you sync up.. which in turn can affect your sync speed.

>> What would cause sync rate to reduce over time?

One of the causes - Deterioration of the SNR ie reduction in signal strength/increase in Noise... or fault on the line.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Old_nick

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »

Thanks for that Kitz

The SNR does not change much either.  In fact over the past 18 months the SNR and Attainable Rates reported by the Livebox router have remained at a very consistent figures.

Fault on the line, BT and Orange say No.

Does LLU kit have Target SNR?

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »

>> The SNR does not change much either.

That line is lovely and straight.  If it stays like that all the time then your line is excellent.  All lines are expected to see some sort of fluctuation, and it is usual to see dips particularly in the evenings.  If its only moving a few dB then all is good.

>> Does LLU kit have Target SNR?

Yes - all rate adaptive lines will have a Target SNR set on them.  The LLU ISPs have different DLM systems than BTw, but this setting is an important part of what speed your line will sync at and for helping stability of a line which isnt fixed rate.

Because your sync speed fluctuates (even just a tiny bit) each time you sync, then you are not on a fixed line. Fixed rate lines will alwayssync at exactly the same rate.

Its my guess that your line is fairly stable hence why it always syncs at around similarish figures.
* Although I havent yet seen a set of linestats immediately after a resync, so I cant be 100% certain, but from what youve said so far, it would be fair to make the assumption that Orange has you on a 12dB Target SNR.

It may be worth while contacting them stating that you have been monitoring your linestats and it would appear that you have a target SNR of 12dB*.  You could say that your line is rock steady and the SNR hardly fluctuates and would it be possible for Orange to reduce your target SNR profile, in order for you to negotiate a higher sync speed
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Old_nick

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »

Thanks Kitz, all your comments are gratefully received!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »

yw
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything