Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: low connection speed after Tiscali upgrade  (Read 21109 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: low connection speed after Tiscali upgrade
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »

Hi
I have spoken to the Scottish version of help desk and the lady assured me I was on IPSTREAM  ???
regards Jeff
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »

Hi
I have spoken to the Scottish version of help desk and the lady assured me I was on IPSTREAM  ???
regards Jeff

Tiscali's IP Stream network is highly congested and has been for years! lol

They are apparently migrating customers off it and onto either DataStream or LLU.

I am on LLU, and there don't seem to be any congestion issues, and always get the max throughput from the sync I am connected at.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2008, 03:15:26 AM »

Your exchange according to tiscali's records is definitely reporting datastream.  ???

Not being to access the BTw test which you couldnt is normally indication that youre not on IPStream...
The way to check for sure is see if you can access the Tiscali test login I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »

Hi
 I tried to connect to the tiscalli test login .I couldn't I made a mess of changing the modem settings  or something I couldn't connect to anything . I have never changed Modem settings before so probably got it wrong!! ???
There is something odd though . When I talked to the Tech person  she did say something that I didn't really understand . "If I had low download speed and my connection was OK , then disconnect and try again . That I might connect to a better PIPE ?" or something like that .
does that make sense ? :(

It is also strange that this last 3/4 and this weekend for the most part my downloads as shown on Speedtest.net have been above 4Mbps with a low of 1.2Mbps , except for the my first connection after my attempt at going to the test site that was 300Kbps according to Speedtest.net. I disconnected and reconnected and now at 1.2Mbps.Yet the previous week during peak times I was lucky to get 500Kbps .

By the way did you get Drspeedtouch ?
Regards Jeff :)

zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »

>> That I might connect to a better PIPE ?" or something like that .   does that make sense ?

Yes it does..   IP stream ISPs use something called Central pipes and its often where congestion occurs at the ISP side of things.  If you reconnect you sometimes will get on another Central - or pipe- which may be less contended.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/contention.htm
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/BTCentrals.htm

>> By the way did you get Drspeedtouch ?

No I haven't received it.. :(  thought you perhaps hadnt sent it yet ....   me goes to check filtered spam.

[edit to add]
Dont appear to have received it Im afraid  :'(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:16:34 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 02:39:54 PM »

Hi Kitz
sorted by other means !!.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this problem . connecting anything between 6.0Mbps and 7.1Mbps :)
 I Think this thread can be closed now .
I may have some other issues with contention but I will raise these separately :(
To anyone who reads this . This site is well worth supporting ;D
Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything