Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Campaign Forces Openreach to Remove Fibre Poles in Fife Village  (Read 3791 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/07/campaign-forces-openreach-to-remove-fibre-poles-in-fife-village.html

This should never be allowed, petitioning to remove poles. What a bunch of prats

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: Campaign Forces Openreach to Remove Fibre Poles in Fife Village
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 02:50:58 PM »

All I can think is that maybe if you’ve never lived with them, they must draw the eye somewhat.

But then, I’ve only ever lived in places where telegraph poles are the norm.  Barely even notice them.  Although during high winds I’ll instinctively look to the drop wires to check if they’re bouncing around.  If so, that’s quite a gale!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 03:39:42 PM »

Intriguing ?? This comment ....

Sometimes the cost of going underground would simply be too high for a build to be viable, which is where poles come in. Such poles are typically built using Permitted Development (PD) rights, which means they don’t have to go through the usual planning process and can pop up quite quickly, often without residents getting much of a say, which adds to the frustrations of those who oppose them.

I think Scotland work differently to England, but whenever a pole is planned south of the borders a regulation 5 notice has to go into the council requesting permission to stand said pole at the co-ordinates given, along with a photograph of the 'Notice of intent' that will be on show to the general public in the same location the pole is to be stood, informing them that they have 28 days in which to complain.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 05:34:40 PM »

along with a photograph of the 'Notice of intent' that will be on show to the general public in the same location the pole is to be stood, informing them that they have 28 days in which to complain.

In my case presumably a photo of BEFORE the crazy fools put a protection shield over the fibre, covering the notice of intent.

I'd have reported it but I didn't want to delay my fibre. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 05:40:37 PM »

In my case presumably a photo of BEFORE the crazy fools put a protection shield over the fibre, covering the notice of intent.

I'd have reported it but I didn't want to delay my fibre. ;)

I'm slightly lost there, AA, no surprise there like  :-[

By protection shield, do you mean a large steel capping that attaches to a pole ?? If so, does that mean the pole was already stood ?? In that case, it wasn't  a notice of intent that was being covered, just a pole notice indicating when the pole was stood, by who, etc .........

The intent period has passed, if the pole is stood.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 05:46:30 PM »

I'm slightly lost there, AA, no surprise there like  :-[

By protection shield, do you mean a large steel capping that attaches to a pole ?? If so, does that mean the pole was already stood ?? In that case, it wasn't  a notice of intent that was being covered, just a pole notice indicating when the pole was stood, by who, etc .........

The intent period has passed, if the pole is stood.

It was a brand new pole they put up to avoid having to dig new ducting across the road (plus some mix up with the contractors who had already started the ducting but supposedly used VM ducting instead of OR confusing everyone).  They put up the notice on the empty pole, then when they came back later to fit the fibre they put the steel capping OVER the notice.

Seems they took the "do not remove" too literally, as logically you'd think they would remove it first then put it back again when finished.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:48:42 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 08:57:52 PM »

They'll be complaining next that they've got poor internet speeds, and that's devalued their house's  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 09:34:48 PM »

Seeing as I was talking to my visiting OR engineer, I found out today that some of the remotest parts of North Skye now have FTTP, I asked my engineer if it was all deployed on poles. I was surprised to be told no, some is underground. That must be a nightmare with wild uneven land surface with bare rock in many places. Try that in East Harris, around, say, Cuidinis, where there are so many rocks it’s like an alien planet.

(I heard it, but couldn’t believe it. Seems there is hope. There was some campaigning for an alt-net, so maybe that had an effect politically. What a waste of money that would have been seeing that it was going to be coming shortly from BTOR anyway.)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 10:21:15 PM »

It shows how society as moved on (or backwards) that now people are complaining about infrastructure being an eye sore.

Back in the day people accepted they lived in a society and that some things individually they might not like. But for the greater good they put up with it. Now its become a me, me, me society. I can't really say things have gone backwards. Because people back then wouldn't be complaining.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 09:18:43 AM »

Honestly if I had FTTP and then residents whinged and it was removed, I'd be absolutely livid and would probably move.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 11:27:49 AM »

It was a brand new pole they put up to avoid having to dig new ducting across the road (plus some mix up with the contractors who had already started the ducting but supposedly used VM ducting instead of OR confusing everyone).  They put up the notice on the empty pole, then when they came back later to fit the fibre they put the steel capping OVER the notice.

Seems they took the "do not remove" too literally, as logically you'd think they would remove it first then put it back again when finished.

The notice about a new pole goes on adjacent existing pole. Said notice should not be covered up until the expiry of the comments/objections period to the Pole Objection Team.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 12:21:43 PM »

The notice about a new pole goes on adjacent existing pole. Said notice should not be covered up until the expiry of the comments/objections period to the Pole Objection Team.

In this case it was a new pole to replace a DiG cable under the road, so there would be nowhere adjacent to put a notice.

Its in a boggy patch of land so I only hope they put it deep enough to not topple over.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 05:09:11 PM »

Do they have lamp posts? because if you can tolerate them, I am not sure why you cant tolerate poles, if I was BT I would have removed poles but also removed FTTP along with it.  They lucky they getting a rollout (which is likely unprofitable been a village) which millions of people are not.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 07:06:39 PM »

I particurlarly smile at the title - Campaign Forces Openreach to Remove Fibre Poles in Fife Village - what a MSM headline.

Take it from myself, OR bend over backwards and accommodate complaints like it was your own children putting them in. 'Forces' - pmsl.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 07:08:50 PM »

I wonder if this is a commercial build or if it's under R100
Pages: [1] 2

anything