Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Worse Zen FTTP 900 performance following GEA migration  (Read 22613 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Worse Zen FTTP 900 performance following GEA migration
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2022, 05:56:06 PM »

For anyone interested, moving my WAN connection to the ONT from the built-in 2.5G copper WAN interface on the UDM-Pro SE to a UF-RJ45-1G SFP 1G SFP module in the 10G SFP+ slot took the performance with medium IDS/IPS settings from 750-800Mbps back up to full line rate - now hitting 918/110 even with high IPS/IDS settings.

Thank you for your latest update.

That is an interesting result, which shows there are at least two different "lanes" towards the internals of the UDM-Pro SE. One used by the 2.5Gbps metallic interface and a second used by the 10Gbps SFP+ interface.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2022, 06:15:41 PM »

Thank you for your latest update.

That is an interesting result, which shows there are at least two different "lanes" towards the internals of the UDM-Pro SE. One used by the 2.5Gbps metallic interface and a second used by the 10Gbps SFP+ interface.
I did do a bit of digging at the command line.  The SFP connections are connected direct to the SOC from AnnaPurnaLabs - you can see they use the AnnaPurnaLabs driver.  The 2.5G copper is a Realtek 8125 PCI express LAN chip. The internal 1G switch is another Realtek device, but connected directly to the SOC via MII or similar I think...

I don't think this difference in hookups makes a huge difference, but it's enough to go from quite a bit below line rate to line rate with IDS/IPS enabled.  Logging into the unit and monitoring it I can see that with IDS/IPS enabled during speed testing the unit is passing traffic at line rate but the CPU is pretty maxed out >95% on some cores.

I'm sure if I was making extensive use of things like the network video recording functionality in the UDM that I'd probably once again not quite reach line rate.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2022, 06:29:51 PM »

I guess the reputation of Realtek NICs having higher CPU overhead is still true.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2022, 07:19:58 AM »

Well, this is the gift that keeps on giving!

After a couple of weeks of stellar performance from BTW connection, "something" has happened which appears to have spread the lacklustre performance onto the BTW connection now.

What's odd is that max performance achieved has simultaneously increased.  So whereas I was pegged at 918Mbps previous, I'm now hitting up to 932Mbps to some particular segment or similar - that Norwich speedtest server 9060, for instance, but most other places are no-where near line rate.

Anyone else on Zen seeing similar?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »

Its looking really consistent here at 915, right now at least.  I was even able to hit 855 over Wireguard.

I can't really comment on real-world as the only thing I know of that allows line rate are Steam downloads.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2022, 04:04:48 PM »

Its looking really consistent here at 915, right now at least.  I was even able to hit 855 over Wireguard.

I can't really comment on real-world as the only thing I know of that allows line rate are Steam downloads.
Ho hum, will have another look this evening.  Do you know what gateway you're on at the moment?
Cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2022, 04:38:05 PM »

Ho hum, will have another look this evening.  Do you know what gateway you're on at the moment?
Cheers

vt1.cor2.lond2.ptn.zen.net.uk

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2022, 05:42:28 PM »

Sorry for jumping in :-)

This is a bit of a concern, as repeated nightly outages would be very unusual - I can take a look if you like? PM me (either via forum or on our IRC) if you like...

As for Zen's network, I'd not be surprised if they connect to CityFibre at multiple local POPs around the country and then run that traffic over their own national network to reach their core POPs. We're smaller, so rather than having multiple links we have a connection to CityFibre in London and CityFibre give us access to their (English) network via that link.

Yep sure I will PM you, sorry only just noticed this.

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2022, 07:15:50 PM »

Well, this is the gift that keeps on giving!

After a couple of weeks of stellar performance from BTW connection, "something" has happened which appears to have spread the lacklustre performance onto the BTW connection now.

What's odd is that max performance achieved has simultaneously increased.  So whereas I was pegged at 918Mbps previous, I'm now hitting up to 932Mbps to some particular segment or similar - that Norwich speedtest server 9060, for instance, but most other places are no-where near line rate.

Anyone else on Zen seeing similar?

Not seeing any issues on my service (btw) & since implementing zen's static ipv6 config opnsense has been perfect. Using dhcp ipv6 I was constantly losing ipv6. Now 2 weeks static for ipv6 not one issue. No loss of London gateway either.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2022, 06:25:42 PM »

vt1.cor2.lond2.ptn.zen.net.uk
Thanks.  I was on that gateway at the time and was getting poor results.
After a few gateway drops and reconnects I finally picked up one that appears to be doing line rate to most places for me.
lo0-0.bng1.ixn-lon.zen.net.uk

I don't know where exactly the issue is, but I'm getting pretty sick of it.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2022, 11:41:44 PM »

You honestly can't make this up.  My performance took a dirt dive tonight back to about half line rate, I rebooted the router and it wouldn't connect up over PPPoE, and neither would a laptop.  Called Zen, after a while on hold they reset something, and it went back to working (albeit still slow).

Did a bit of gateway hopping, and couldn't seem to get on the gateways I was expecting to see...  Log in to Zen portal, and sure enough, I've just been migrated BACK to the GEA service from BTW....  A new unrequested migration order has appeared in my account.

Unbelievable. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2022, 12:25:10 AM »

Log in to Zen portal, and sure enough, I've just been migrated BACK to the GEA service from BTW....  A new unrequested migration order has appeared in my account.

Unbelievable.

If that had happened to me, it would now be a "Goodbye Zen and don't try to charge me" letter, sent to the company's registered address.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »

If that had happened to me, it would now be a "Goodbye Zen and don't try to charge me" letter, sent to the company's registered address.
The email's gone in to their cancellations team already.  If the response isn't positive it's going "postal"...

It's not bad enough that they moved me back onto GEA, but that their systems for doing it obviously didn't do a full job, leaving me without valid authentication into some of their servers, is just the cherry on the cake. 

Obviously I'm not going to say everyone's experience of Zen is going to be like this, as clearly from other posters that isn't the case; but I think it merits a very clear BUYER BEWARE.  As far as I can see at least some of it looks to be held together with chewing gum.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »

Very disappointing (to put it mildly), it rather suggests when there is a problem they have no way to block the automatic migration from going through again.  Your account should absolutely have been flagged for not making any changes without consulting you first, at the very least.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2022, 02:11:22 PM »

Very disappointing (to put it mildly), it rather suggests when there is a problem they have no way to block the automatic migration from going through again.  Your account should absolutely have been flagged for not making any changes without consulting you first, at the very least.
Or maybe they do have such an ability and just forgot to enable it on my account.  Who knows.  It's all pretty ludicrous, though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16