Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 330Mbps v 1000Mbps FTTP Availability  (Read 1599 times)

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: 330Mbps v 1000Mbps FTTP Availability
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 10:54:00 AM »

I've been having interesting conversations with talktalk business fttp provisioning as a talktalk business partner, they don't allow you to order until their backhaul is in place. Which can take a minimum of six weeks after it goes live with BT wholesale.

I notice something similar with residential service on new FTTP rollout. I checked daily after seeing the CBT on the pole that my line is connected to. As soon as BTW checker said FTTP was available at 1000Mbps, I could have ordered a 900 service with BT & Zen, but neither TT or Sky were not offering FTTP straight away. A while later my neighbour was able to upgrade his Sky connection, but the maximum Sky could offer him was 500. I think I checked TT at the time, and it was similar, neither Sky or TT were offering 900. I just checked now Sky are offering 900 service on the postcode. This does suggest there is a lag with Sky/TT vs BTW.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »

There's no lag. They can sell it whenever they want and at whatever speed they want.
Sky only recently launched the 900Mb product. Their max was 500Mb for quite a while.

There are some areas that Sky or Talktalk are live before BT Wholesale. BTW don't have any preferential treatment at all. They just have a much larger customer base so can afford to get the 10Gb GEA cablelinks orders in earlier and at more exchanges.
They all use the same Openreach availability database to update their own customer availability checkers.
Sky was the only provider able to offer me FTTP for the 1st few weeks.

Some exchanges with very little FTTP it still makes no financial sense for Sky/Talktalk to sell higher tier FTTP.
They can sell the lower tiers on the same 1Gb cablelinks as FTTC customer.
Openreach now have FTTP only L2S which complicates things a little further.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 01:54:52 PM »

Thanks for clarification J0hn.
There's no lag. They can sell it whenever they want and at whatever speed they want.
When I said 'lag' I was implying lag in the internal systems of the ISP. As you say, its up to them when they start marketing and selling, as soon as they are ready.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2022, 04:01:29 PM »

Thanks for clarification J0hn.When I said 'lag' I was implying lag in the internal systems of the ISP. As you say, its up to them when they start marketing and selling, as soon as they are ready.

*cough*

we provide FTTP services as NAMS shows OGHP is in ordered status (Which means the cable link to provide TalkTalk service to the exchange is not currently live. It is currently in an ordered state and we expect to have availability for your order in the next 27 working days assuming no major issues. Services will have to be placed after we have the availability.
Pages: 1 [2]