Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Amazon and UK VISA Credit Cards  (Read 3224 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Amazon and UK VISA Credit Cards
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »

apparently if you switch your amazon account to a business one you can continue to keep using Visa credit cards after the January date.

Any disadvantages of switching a personal account to a business one, I'm not a business.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »

I have added my VISA debit card as my primary one and got £20 credit  ;D spent 15.99 on some stuff I needed anyway so £4.01 left  ;)

I have no idea about the business account but would be suspicious about using one.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »

I have added my VISA debit card as my primary one ...

Stuart

I'd still want a credit card as my primary as you get legal protection on any purchases over £100, which is not the case with a debit card.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »

For reference i deliberately kept my visa credit as primary and even used it to pay for the order as I noticed is another box begging me to change the default, I am hoping if I leave it long enough and the visa dispute doesnt end maybe they will pay me to change the default. :)

They paid me £20 to add the card, not to set it as default, I will do it for another £20.

If the issue doesnt get resolved, I luckily do have a master card credit card I can use for large purchases.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:52:22 PM by Chrysalis »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »

I'll only use the debit card for low cost purchases. The stuff I want which is over £100 I'll use the credit card until or if it is resolved. If the spat is not resolved then I wont buy anything expensive, I'll go elsewhere.

Stuart

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2021, 04:30:22 PM »

Ironically it set my debit card as default and for some reason my bank just refused the transaction, so I switched it back to the credit card.

I'll only use the debit card for low cost purchases. The stuff I want which is over £100 I'll use the credit card until or if it is resolved. If the spat is not resolved then I wont buy anything expensive, I'll go elsewhere.

Stuart

Exactly.  Fortunately I was lucky to have mostly paid off that credit card this month so will likely have more money in my bank account than I have for a long while, but its the principle of the thing.  I don't have a credit card to NOT use it, what Visa does and does not do is not my concern unless companies start charging me that fee (which they might now we do not have EU law to stop it).

I often use Amazon just because its easier and I've had good experiences when a product fails years down the line, supposedly under manufacturer warranty but the manufacturer is being awkward, or expecting me to pay to ship the product to Europe for RMA.  Plus the not having to mess around entering payment details into a retailer I haven't used before, if they sell the same item on Amazon.  Sometimes the same retailer even charges less on Amazon.  But if I can't use my credit card, those benefits are largely nullified.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:33:49 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2021, 08:14:58 PM »

I guess the reason the card companies charges to the suppliers like Amazon are high is because of users like me. I haven't paid any interest on either of my cards for nearly 20 years. Then you have the people who bounce their credit from card to card.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 08:39:16 PM »

I guess the reason the card companies charges to the suppliers like Amazon are high is because of users like me. I haven't paid any interest on either of my cards for nearly 20 years. Then you have the people who bounce their credit from card to card.

Not to worry, I've probably paid your share. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »

I first got my credit card in the early 70's when Barclays just sent them to their customers and I thought great and spent up to my credit limit of £200  ::) then the government upped the minimum pay back which I could not initially afford, eventually within about a year I paid it off and since that day I have always paid in full every month without fail. Hard lesson to learn and one I've never forgotten. I've also never had an overdraft  ::) Anything we have wanted over the years has always been saved for, the only debt I had for 25 years was a mortgage!

Stuart

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2021, 10:02:33 PM »

I wonder if the banks are going to say anything about this. My bank changed to Visa a few years ago, so its visa debit and visa credit cards.

So this decision just cut the visa credit card out of trade. I noticed even mastercard are attacking amazon too.

I'll hang on until the last moment before I change things.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »

Yes the banks will change card issuer if the fees go too high. My bank appears to have done exactly that.

RBS is changing from Visa to MasterCard. I assume NatWest will be doing the same. They sent me a letter informing me about 2 weeks ago.
No idea if it's related to this increase in fees but I've had the account coming on 20 years and think it's always been with Visa.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2021, 11:48:48 PM »

I've also never paid interest on credit cards. We did some major renovations a few years back and the costs went on the credit card, and then I moved it to a 0% card, I still have circa £10k on a credit card, at 0% of course and the money is sat in premium bonds (earning me about 1.5% a year) should I need to pay it off in a hurry. When the 0% runs out I just move it to another 0% card  ;D

You do have to be on the ball though, otherwise it could get very expensive very quickly.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2021, 11:56:35 PM »

I guess the reason the card companies charges to the suppliers like Amazon are high is because of users like me.

Card issuers still make money from retailers, even if you don't pay any interest

RBS is changing from Visa to MasterCard. I assume NatWest will be doing the same. They sent me a letter informing me about 2 weeks ago.
No idea if it's related to this increase in fees but I've had the account coming on 20 years and think it's always been with Visa.

Yes, both Natwest and RBS are in the process of moving their debit cards to MasterCard. Most banks change issuer from time to time when the competition offers them a better deal.

The Natwest Group used Switch debit cards between 1988-2002, at which point Switch merged with Maestro (owned by MasterCard) and then started issuing Visa debit cards from 2009 (along with most other UK banks which had previously used Switch/Maestro)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »

I've also never paid interest on credit cards. We did some major renovations a few years back and the costs went on the credit card, and then I moved it to a 0% card, I still have circa £10k on a credit card, at 0% of course and the money is sat in premium bonds (earning me about 1.5% a year) should I need to pay it off in a hurry. When the 0% runs out I just move it to another 0% card  ;D

You do have to be on the ball though, otherwise it could get very expensive very quickly.

Not just on the ball, once you've trashed your credit rating like I did when I got my first job, its hard to go back as the only CCs you can get with a bad rating are high interest without those 0% deals.  Although Barclaycard did offer me a 0% balance transfer last year after I'd paid off that card, but that card doesn't have nearly a high enough credit limit to transfer everything off my main card at the time.  Still, it helped.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2021, 07:03:39 PM »

Indeed they have other costs as well.

When the EU capped charges, it coincided with a glut of 0% offers been removed from the market.

The costs Amazon pay even at the rate they moaning about is still low, they get lower costs vs smaller retailers.  I believe if they moved their financial hub for UK sales into the UK they wouldnt have the problem, correct me if I am wrong. :)

I still think this will get resolved, Amazon just flexing its muscles to push Visa into a backdown, I expect both companies will compromise a bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything