Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: No Connection  (Read 71327 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: No Connection
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »

OK, Thanks Ezzer.

Much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Nothing Further They Can Do?
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »

Latest
There is nothing further that we can do for you. Your speeds are acceptable for your line. The BT engineer reported back that there is no fault found and that the readings are good. We have checked everything we can from here and so can offer no further assistance.
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »

After just having read the relevant thread on the tiscali forums about your problems, and the tiscali replies (including one of them from the person whom I contacted), they appear to have totally washed their hands of this case - not that they ever did much than play around with your profiles anyhow.

Im not sure but looking at that thread - when the engineer visited it looks like you may have been on one of their low profiles (eg the fixed 256 upstream) which is why the engineer may not have seen many problems when he tired to sync.  The reality is a 30dB line should be performing much better than yours does

Looking at the assistance you have got from them its not much help and often repetitive. 
I'm afraid theres not much I can do either if the ISP wont play ball... its only your ISP that can request the engineers visit..

I'm afraid theres nothing more I can suggest either... Other than do something I suggested about 6 weeks ago

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=2247.msg71713#msg71713
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »

Well I think your hunch of a line fault is still correct.

The phone and broadband has gone down but broadband has just returned. This still looks like a BT Engineer job.

2 weeks may bring out a fault as BT should be monitoring my stats.
Kind Regards
Jamie

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »

Are you going to demand your MAC without penalty, as Kitz suggested? I think I would have done by now.
Chris

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »

Well, I am on LLU, so a MAC won't be an option.

I may have to pay to be reconnected to BT, then go to another provider.

Although as I may go to Sky, there maybe a chance of just switching LLU directly? I don't know, could someone advise me on that?
Kind Regards
Jamie

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »

An LLU MAC IS an option, otherwise we wouldn't have suggested it. I think Sky accepts these.

Also, I'm pretty sure you won't have to pay to get back onto BT - the only time you pay is if the line is physically disconnected and you go to cable, for example. You're still getting phone and broadband through the BT-owned phone line, just connected to someone else's equipment in the exchange.
Chris

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »

Other thing is, how would I get around keeping my Tiscali email addresses?

Could I downgrade it to Dial Up? My father doesn't want to loose his email address as all of his accounts etc use that email address?

I didn't know there were LLU MACs? Thats interesting? hmmm

Thanks mr_chris  :)

Kind Regards
Jamie

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't know Tiscali's stance on keeping email addresses after you're not a customer anymore. Perhaps you can downgrade the account to dialup, but I really don't have the foggiest, to be honest!

That's why I bought a domain name and use that for all my email - so it doesn't matter which ISP I'm with.
Chris

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't know Tiscali's stance on keeping email addresses after you're not a customer anymore. Perhaps you can downgrade the account to dialup, but I really don't have the foggiest, to be honest!

That's why I bought a domain name and use that for all my email - so it doesn't matter which ISP I'm with.

Thing I want to save money, hence why I went with Tiscali's phone package. I was on their normal DataStream product, so I upgraded.
Kind Regards
Jamie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »

My father doesn't want to loose his email address as all of his accounts etc use that email address?

If you move house you have to notify everyone of your new home address.
Set up a Gmail account and it does not matter how many times you change ISP it stays.
It will simply mean sending everyone in his address an email notification.

Gmail can now be changed to https secure so no problems there.

dave

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »

My father doesn't want to loose his email address as all of his accounts etc use that email address?

If you move house you have to notify everyone of your new home address.
Set up a Gmail account and it does not matter how many times you change ISP it stays.
It will simply mean sending everyone in his address an email notification.

Gmail can now be changed to https secure so no problems there.

dave

Thing is what about all of the online services and banks that his email address is in, he signs up to everything lol

Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently been in contact with your department with regards to my Slow and now Unstable internet connection.

I recently wrote a letter (reference 213688) regarding my Slow Speeds and have received a Phone Call and a Letter regarding the matter. You Technical Support advisor went through some line profiles and eventually found that a 6meg profile was as high as my line would support. (Ticket UKHD00001908661).

After the profile being set to a Fixed setting, my line became unstable, constantly dropping out and the SNR readings being very low, in the region of 0dB to -1dB.

I then decided to contact your Forums team regarding the matter (Ticket 1964643), they went through all of the usual tests and even sent out test filters to rule out my own, there was still no change and my line was still unstable. After these checks, they changed my Line Profile from Fixed to an Adaptive rate setting, capping that to 6meg, as this is apparently all my line would support? This failed to rectify the problem and I was still getting drop outs of the connection. I was then told my line would only support 5.5megs? However I had been receiving speeds of 6.5megs and sync speeds of 7000 – 7500 kbps and have a 30dB line?

I was then told that I have been put on a 4meg profile, this caused my connection speed to drop dramatically but still, the drop outs continued and my SNR stayed in the 2dB to -1dB range. On the 9th August, it was decided that a BT Engineer would be sent our to test my line, I accepted and a visit was then booked for 18th August AM. I was still on a 4meg profile and understood that as the engineer would only connect his equipment for a short while, the SNR would be in the region of around 18dB, of course, the engineer couldn’t see anything wrong at the time, as the SNR was stable.

The engineer left and confirmed that there was nothing found on the line and no faults were detected. He confirmed that the line would then be monitored for two weeks and if the line was still underperforming, another Engineer would be in touch to attempt to improve the line.

I feel that since I switched to your Line Rental service (LLU), I have experienced nothing but trouble with it. I have been a Tiscali customer for 5years with no problems and feel that this has been a big let down to your service.

I believe that there is either a fault with my Phone Line or equipment in the Telephone exchange and this needs to be investigated more thoroughly.

I do hope that this issue can be resolved.

That is the email I am going to send, please do have a read and any suggestions would be appreciated :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »

Thing is what about all of the online services and banks that his email address is in, he signs up to everything

What happens when you finally move from Tiscali because it is blindingly obvious that they are not interested in sorting out your problems?
He will still have to notify everyone who uses his email addy and rather than do it everytime you are not happy with an ISP just do it once.
It shouldn't take a fortnight to notify everyone. Even Mr G Brown doesn't have that many online services and banks.

Why is it that no matter what advise is given on here, you always find an excuse for not doing it?
If you are not happy with what has been suggested, and Kitz offered you the best advice on the 3rd July and six weeks later you are still umming and arrring as to what to do and asking for more help.
With 11 pages and 150+ posts in this thread, surely you must have got the message by now that Tiscali are not really interested in you, and to change to someone else.
If you do not want to change email addresses because it would involve notifying a few people and companies, then stick with the address and ISP that you have, but stop ask for anymore help and then not doing it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:48:04 PM by dave.m »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »

I am not trying to avoid taking your advice.

I take everyone's advice on board. Thing is, I will be doing GCSEs next year and wanted an easier router than changing ISP, with all the work I will have, do you seriously think I have time to go around webpages changing email addresses and sending upto 300 people notifications?

They obviously are interested, 10 minutes ago I had a call from, after I reported a fault, them asking whether my Broadband & Phone was working, they even hung up to let me try outgoings and then rang back? Hardly not interested is it?

Sorry if I was a bit rude Dave but I had to get the message across.  :o
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:58:20 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17