Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: No Connection  (Read 72232 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: No Connection
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »

I have had an update from Tiscali today and they have told me that they are running even MORE tests on the line!

That is ridiculous..  Its over a month and they are still playing around.
I think I now what my own re-action would be at this point :/ 

Theyve had more than enough time to sort it.
As Ezzer (who is a BT engineer) says  "unless the problem which caused it in the first place has been resolved, then resetting the profile can easly cause the drop of sync's which you seem to be suffering from".

Sorry but they are just messing you around now and doing anything to avoid calling out an engineer  :'(
You have been very patient so far, so perhaps a "gentle prod" saying something along the lines of

"You have had over one month to sort this problem.  Due to your failure to progress the fault and you not being able to provide me with satisfactory service, I hereby request that you release me from any contract and provide me with my MAC key without penalty so I can take my account to an ISP willing to escalate and resolve my line fault. "

(obviously Im not aware if youre in a contract but if you are make sure you say without penalty)
You could if you wish  give them another 7 days and say that if the fault is not resolved within the next 7 days then you will expect your MAC without penalty blah blah blah
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »

Hi kitz,

I have just reinstated Sky and am very tempted to leave Tiscali BB and Talk and pop over to Sky!

However I will most likely need to get the BT line reconnected and that will cost an absolute fortune.

One question, their 16meg package uses ADSL2 does it?

According to the SkyUser checker I should be able to get speeds between 15meg - 16meg on my 30dB atten line?

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »

Sky actually use ADSL2+ but just dont have line profiles for customers that sync above 16mbit, this is actually a nice change as is a more realistic sync rate than selling an upto 24mbit package that almost no one will ever see.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »

>> According to the SkyUser checker I should be able to get speeds between 15meg - 16meg on my 30dB atten line?

Hmmmm 

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »

Ah,

Sorry, the SkyUser must use the Sync Rates then?

13meg is better than 3!!!

I am currently synced at 4567kbps with a 9dB snr margin.

I swear there must be a fault as this is rubbish for my line, as you and others have spent time and time again!

Regards

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2008, 07:56:08 PM »

Naw the checker says you should sync at around 15-16 Mb, - we both come to the same conclusion on that.. but your actual throughput after allowing for overheads (real speed) would be around 13.5Mb.

The hmmmm  was for another reason
reminds self to get rid of the javascript and code in php :/
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

Hi kitz,

Thought I would update you, and it isn't good news  :(

This is what I have been told today:-
Hi,

We have performed thorough tests on your line and the results show nothing wrong with it. There is nothing further we can do with this.

I don't really know what to do know?

Could I cancel and go to Sky?

Or would I need to cancel and then pay a fortune to BT to reconnect my line, and then go to Sky?

I feel that they just haven't done enough?

Regards

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »

>> Or would I need to cancel and then pay a fortune to BT to reconnect my line,

I didnt realise that tiscali had your phone line too :/
The cost involved in going back to BT is expensive and what a lot of people dont realise when the FMP LLU providers take over the broadband and line.

It may be worthwhile ringing up BT and asking if they can do a deal for bringing the phone line back to BT.  Aside from that I believe Plusnet is about the cheapest for bringing back phone to BT, but then that would mean Plusnet for adsl too.

I'm not sure what to advise now since the cost has to be factored in and therefore it leaves you a bit stuck, therefore a choice that only you can make.

I dont feel that tiscali have done enough on this for you, and unfortunately your experience has been just another example of why so many rate tiscali as amongst the worst ISP.

You obviously have a fault somewhere that needs looking into and all tiscali seem to be doing is passing you from pillar to post.

Are you sure that tiscali fully have your phone line?
I'll pass you a link via PM for something Im working on.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »

Hi,

Yes I do have Tiscali Max Broadband with Anytime Talk II which includes Line Rental.

The BT 1571 has been removed and my line has been fully taken over by Tiscali.

I looked at the 'thing' you sent and it said exactly, No Info in DB.

Hence why I am convinced this is something to do with the switch to their LLU service.

I am now going to be writing a letter to them regarding this and will be mentioning 30dB line and that I am convinced there is a line fault somewhere, if they still will not do anything, I will have to consider another provider or maybe going back to BT and getting another Broadband service such as O2.

Regards

jid

Many thanks for the PM, I will take a look now  ;D

Regards

jid
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:01:04 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »

This thread reminds me of this radio4 broadcast on the now show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGibVROSPr8

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »

>>  it said exactly, No Info in DB.

Youre on Full Metallic Path LLU, which means that both the line and adsl is fully owned by Tiscali, so there will be a fee to move elsewhere as BT will have to take ownership of the line again.

I wanted to make sure since some ISPs will do all the line billing etc, but using something called WLR, but its still a "BT line" and therefore easier to move back.  For eg my mum moved back from Sky WLR to BT and it didnt cost her anything.
- According to this its only £2 for WLR transfers.  I cant seem to find a price though from FMPF.

Edit
Ofcom seems to say £50.70 - linky but I dont know if thats just the adsl element... as Ive heard some cases of well over £100.  Best contacting BT really to see how much it is before you decide anything further.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »

OT Alert!

This thread reminds me of this radio4 broadcast on the now show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGibVROSPr8

Nice guitar being played lapstyle at 0:45 :)
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »

Hi kitz,

So that should mean that as the line is fully owned by Tiscali, resolving faults should be an easier process!

I will be writing a letter to see what that brings mentioning that I should be receiving speeds which they obviously can't provide, or that there is a fault that they cannot fix.

Also could I ask, what throughput and sync speed should I be getting on my 30dB line? Approx?

Many Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »

I have also just found this on BTs website which may mean that I will not have to pay to be reconnected:-

This is a one-off connection charge. If your home has had telephone service from BT in the recent past, and the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has dialling tone, it's likely you won't need to pay this connection charge. But where there is no suitable BT telephone line available in your property a connection charge of £124.99 may apply. This fee covers engineering work in your exchange or your property in order to connect the line. We'll confirm if the charge applies after you have placed your order as we need to check the details of your property before we can confirm this. If it does apply it will be added to your first BT bill.

I think I will be best keeping with BT for calls and then going with Be* or even Sky Max?

Regards

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »

>> So that should mean that as the line is fully owned by Tiscali, resolving faults should be an easier process!

It could well explain why they dont want to get a BT engineer involved though :/
Even though they "own" the line and the broadband". The "final mile" copper pair from the exchange to your home is still "owned" by BTOpenreach.  If theres any faults on this part of the line (which is where we suspect yours is) then its BTOpenreach's responsibility to fix it.  But that could involve a bill being sent to Tiscali, depending on the nature of the fault, and possibly something they dont want to risk.

Youve checked all you can from your end.. theyve tried messing with the profiles which is under their control, but the bit which we are saying needs checking is the bit still owned by Openreach - hence why we say it needs a BT engineer.

>> Also could I ask, what throughput and sync speed should I be getting on my 30dB line? Approx?

This is a conservative - on the safe side - estimation.
You should be getting a sync speed of 8Mb and throughput of around 6.5 - 7Mbps.

-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

anything