Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed inconsistencies G.FAST  (Read 3732 times)

Bo

• Just arrived
Speed inconsistencies G.FAST
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

Ok, I might get shouted at for this but her goes.  I had an install address on my house where my current Infinity 2 is connected to on an address that didn't exist on earth so it stopped me placing orders for upgrades.  That was sorted eventually with ORDI request.  Now I want to place an order for Ultrafast 2 but got some issues.  I live in a development of about 90 flats consisting of about 7 blocks.  Below are my stats according to Tags on the Line:

According to hte BT Checker against my address I get the below: This is also the same kind of stats against my UPRN on Tags

This is just 1 example of where my next door neighbor whos wall I can touch gets the below.  These stats are the same for someone who lives below me and similar to someone on the ground floor - I can go on with more examples seems something is going wrong here....

BT are lost and no idea what to do and have palmed this off to Openreach to look at (3 weeks later still no further)  But I'm really lost!  How Do I fix this?  Would changing my number or installing a new line help?

Cheers
Shane

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:36:17 AM by Bo »

andyfitter

• Reg Member
Re: Speed inconsistencies G.FAST
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »

Maybe I’m half asleep still but after reading all that I’m not sure you’ve described what the problem actually is?

Bo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »

Ah I should have been more clear, sorry.  Basically I want to know why I am getting such a difference between Tagsontheline for my number against the BT Ultrafast checker on BT and why all the neighbors in my area in my flat (above me, below me and next door) get double the speed :(

Shane

bkehoe

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »

So the BT checker says all is good; are you unable to complete an order?

Bo

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »

Well it's more to it than that.  BT Website which uses full address details shows c314mb UF2 availability where as I can only order according to Tagsontheline as 140mb with a worse upload than my current Infinity2.  And then their is the issue with the neighbors all around me in my block of flats who all can get 330mb according to their phone number.

I want to order the best speed I can get but dont understand how I am getting much worse compared to the people all around me who are only a wall with away from me - not sure how to resolve it so I can get the Ultrafast 2 that BT postcode checker shows.  Does that clear things up?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »

I've not seen that 'Tags on the line' thing before but it seems to be have basically the same data as the normal BT Wholesale availability checker but gives some more information, what does this link give you, try the phone number and address options.
 https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

The checker only gives estimates, doesn't affect the service you can order and is sometimes wrong, particularly if you have had address database problems in the past. If your neighbours estimates are showing full speed you should get the same, if you are in a block of flats it is unlikely that your phone line goes by some different route to the others in the building. You should be OK to place an order, you will get the best your line can achieve, whatever the checker says. :)

Bo

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »

I've not seen that 'Tags on the line' thing before but it seems to be have basically the same data as the normal BT Wholesale availability checker but gives some more information, what does this link give you, try the phone number and address options.
 https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

The checker only gives estimates, doesn't affect the service you can order and is sometimes wrong, particularly if you have had address database problems in the past. If your neighbours estimates are showing full speed you should get the same, if you are in a block of flats it is unlikely that your phone line goes by some different route to the others in the building. You should be OK to place an order, you will get the best your line can achieve, whatever the checker says. :)

Cheers for that!  Yeah that checker shows the same results.  Address shoes 329.7mb with UPRN and phone number gives 146mb.  - really confusing but they wont let me order UF2 (UF1 stops at 152mb)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »

If the address is showing what you presume to be correct then I suspect a new line would allow you to order UF2.

Other way to get it sorted is to email the CEO of Openreach explaining there seems to be a database error, giving all your details, along with neighbours, and your low estimate is preventing you ordering UF2 where's your neighbours can.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:23:32 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

My checker thing has always shown FTTPoD:

Yet I've never found a way to order it :s

Bo

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »

If the address is showing what you presume to be correct then I suspect a new line would allow you to order UF2.

Other way to get it sorted is to email the CEO of Openreach explaining there seems to be a database error, giving all your details, along with neighbours, and your low estimate is preventing you ordering UF2 where's your neighbours can.

I really am getting nowhere with Openreach via BT!  It's crackers that its form after form that needs to go through to get some answer and I can't speak to the case manager looking after the complaint without them calling me....

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »

That is frustrating, the estimates shouldn't affect what you can order but ISPs have different ideas and computer says no. Could you order the lower speed and upgrade when you can see what the attainable speed is. I think some PlusNet customers did this on FTTC when they wouldn't allow an order for the 80/20 service because of an estimate below 40Mbps. Another way is to contact Andrew Ferguson aka Mr Saffron on the Thinkbroadband forum, he has contacts in Openreach and can often sort this type of problem.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »

Forgive my ignorance.

What is Ultrafast 2, is that some BT retail term? And just so I understand does ‘fibre’ mean copper as it so often does with BT bull, or actual fibre optics ie FTTx?

Bo

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »

Yeah it is, its a BT reailt thing for GFast utpo 330/50.  Its not FTTP, still used copper for the last connection

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »

Yeah it is, its a BT reailt thing for GFast utpo 330/50.  Its not FTTP, still used copper for the last connection

FTTP is also retailed as UltraFast now, with the higher upload to match G.Fast.

My checker thing has always shown FTTPoD:

Yet I've never found a way to order it :s

That's FTTPod (on demand)
You can order it from any ISP who sells it.
It tends to average around £20k if you're that interested.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:37:47 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Speed inconsistencies G.FASTEE
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »

I really am getting nowhere with Openreach via BT!  It's crackers that its form after form that needs to go through to get some answer and I can't speak to the case manager looking after the complaint without them calling me....

Hence why I said email the CEO of Openreach explaining everything, it will be sorted out quickly.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything