Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving to Fibre and need a router/modem - advice needed  (Read 1398 times)

jstallan

Moving to Fibre and need a router/modem - advice needed
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »

Hi all,

Finally taken the plunge and moved to Fibre. Being a long time PlusNet user and happy with their service I opted to stay with them (plus they gave me a little discount) and therefore they dispatched one or their PlusNet Hub One units. Although Fibre hasn't been activated yet I though I'd spend some time setting up the new device to fit into my network and therefore just resulting in a cable swap over on the 'big day'.

Over the years I've relied heavily on the Think Broadband Quality Monitor (TBQM) to field the normal family questions of "Damm internet is down", "internet is slow" etc etc whilst I'm away from home (work). Seems the PN Hub One doesn't support ICMP so the TBQM is a sea of red right now.

Can someone recommend me a device or pair of devices (don't mind separate modem / router) to fit my needs - gigabit Ethernet, Wireless AC (if poss) and ICMP ?

Thanks in advance

John

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Moving to Fibre and need a router/modem - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »

If I've remembered the model number correctly, then a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A may be appropriate for your needs.

You might find it helpful to spend some time reviewing the "stickied" posts under the Broadband Hardware heading.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jstallan

Re: Moving to Fibre and need a router/modem - advice needed
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:05:28 PM »

Thanks. I did start to look at those but kinda 'glazed over' after a while. Lot of info to take in, but appreciate people take time and effort in compiling that data.