Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pole & Duct share  (Read 1715 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Pole & Duct share
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

Openreach is trialling new, simplified duct and pole sharing processes with five UK communications providers (CPs).

The trials could see new fibre broadband networks built across the country, as they give companies the ability to carry out more work themselves, without seeking permission from Openreach.

Clive Selley says: “This is an important step which gives greater access to our network and encourages other companies to join Openreach in building better, broader and faster communications services for the whole UK.

The trials are open to every provider under the same terms, throughout the country.

“Our ducts and poles have been open to these companies for several years, and Ofcom has been clear that the price to access them is in line with international comparisons, but they haven’t been used on a large scale to date,” says Clive.

“We hope these new, simpler processes – which have been designed and developed in partnership with the industry – will encourage more companies to invest, particularly in parts of the UK that aren’t already served by high-speed networks.”

Openreach is separately working to create new digital maps to chart its UK network infrastructure and further support any CPs looking to plan and deploy their own new fibre networks.

Given the scale of these trials, the programme already represents the largest third-party use of Openreach ducts and poles to date.

Stand back and watch the cherry-picking commence.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Pole & Duct share
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »

I thought things were bad enough with the meddling in the local access network by operatives from Kelly Communications and M J Quinn.  :-X

My prediction is that a whole area will be "knocked off the network" -- both telephony and broadband data -- by the actions of one of those five CPs and it will take significant time to recover, at considerable cost to the entity responsible. Once such an event has occurred -- in a great blaze of publicity -- it will then be used as clear justification that such a "sharing" scheme is unworkable and Ofcom's ideas / meddlings be totally rejected.

(Perhaps some good will come out of it in the form of significant overtime opportunities, for those of Black Sheep's flock, to fix the "pigs' ear" so created!  :)  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:11:05 PM »

LOL ...... believe me Mr Cat ...... there has never been a time I can remember when OT wasn't rife. I digress, they usually have a spell of 4 weeks into the new fiscal year (April) when they try to cut-back on OT, then it comes to bite them up the ass and the floodgates open again !!!
I've said it here before, BT have been a great employer over the years in a financial sense. I see the new starters and the engineers with young kids doing what I did all those years ago, working as much as they can. The EWTD has ensured there is a cap to the limit they can work, but 48hrs a week ensures a decent bunce for them.

Regarding the sharing, I think this is a 'gesture' we have made to appease certain parties, and as I mentioned above .... the only ducts that may get shared will be the highly lucrative ones. Methinks this is partially dead-in-the-water before it begins.  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:00:27 AM »

Yay, no more sending in requests by fax.

anything