Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel Web Configurator - Java?  (Read 2131 times)

polymath

Zyxel Web Configurator - Java?
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »

I have been doing some research ahead of buying a new router/modem. Looking at the user manuals for the Zyxel VMB1312-B series, they state that to use the "Web Configurator" management interface the following should be allowed:

pop-up windows

javascript

java permissions.

Is java really used by the Zyxel web configurator? Has anyone used the Zyxel web interface without java installed?

I gave up on java a couple of years ago because of its chronic security vulnerabilities and in a long time, not coming across any web sites that use it. It was a challenge to eradicate all traces of java and if I can I want to avoid re-installing java.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Zyxel Web Configurator - Java?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »

I dont know about the VMG1312, but I could access my VMG8324 using my ipad/galaxy tab - neither have java. 

Everything seemed to work ok, but then again I didn't do much configuring in it because things like that are best done via a keyboard rather than a small touch screen.

From what I have seen the GUI interfaces between the 2 are very similar, except the VMG8324 has an additional  (javascript) popup menu for VoIP.   You definitely need javascript.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

I would be very surprised if any modem/router would require java to be installed on the equipment being used to configure it.

Javascript -- yes; java -- no.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

polymath

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »

Thanks for the quick, re-assuring replies.

I have looked at the User Manual for the VMG8324-B10A and the same 3 requirements for the web configurator are listed in Section 2, 2.1 Overview. There is even Appendix D which shows how to enable pop-ups, javascript and java in Internet Explorer.