Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Real world download speeds vs TT speed tester speeds.  (Read 867 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Real world download speeds vs TT speed tester speeds.
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »

Prior to being away I was having very significant slow down on my FTTC connection when compared to my sync speed which showed in speed testers like speedof.me but when I tested using the TT speed tester yes it was slower than expected but probably twice as fast as speedof.me was measuring.

Now on my return I have been running a few tests of actual download times to try to see how they compare with what I could be getting if it was running at full sync speed of 64Mbps. I reckon that downloading a half hour program from the BBC site should take somewhere in the region of about 1 minute to download if I get 50Mbps (a file of about 330-350Mbytes). Now at various times I tried my actual download times for these files all come out at between 4 and 5 minutes which relates to an actual download speed of ~16Mbps and each time I did these tests the TT speed tester came out with a speed probably close to what I should expect for my actual sync speed.

Now I am not unreasonable and do not expect to see real world speeds of 64Mbps especially at peak times but I would have expected at least one or two of my tests to complete in something like 1 or 1.5 minutes at times when I'd expect it not to be really busy. However it seems 4-5 minutes is the norm at all times.

My issue is that as far as TT are concerned if their speed tester say I'm getting maybe 55-58Mbps then they dont have an issue, however I think that their test is unreasonable for real world expectation. I would have expected downloads from the BBC servers to be quite fast at least at non-peak times. Also my tests on other testers usually come out slower than the TT test site which I suspect may have a high priority path through their network!

Anyone any ideas? Obviously as TT rely on their test site I will be unable to get them to take anything I suggest seriously  >:(

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP