Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Pledge to “Significantly” Boost UK Rollout of Ultrafast FTTP Broadband  (Read 1203 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

BT Pledge to “Significantly” Boost UK Rollout of Ultrafast FTTP Broadband

The CEO of BT Group, Gavin Patterson, has confirmed to the ‘Media & Telecoms 2016 & Beyond‘ conference in London that he will “significantly … accelerate the deployment” of their ultrafast 330Mbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband technology. But the details remain wafer thin.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

phi2008

• Reg Member

"Significantly" is a great word, I prefer facts and figures.  :hmm:

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member

Adding 10,000 to 200,000 can be significant....

niemand

• Kitizen

I have been hearing encouraging noises, however until they actually JFDI this is FTTPR - Fibre to the Press Release.

Given their past record of claiming a large FTTP rollout then deciding a hybrid fibre solution would be good enough people should be forgiven for approaching this with cynicism.

I am hopeful that this time the cheap and fast option is taken away from Openreach and that they will be forced by competitive pressure to spend some serious money.  :)

(For clarity, the capital expenditure, and it's important to separated this from the operational expenditure, on the 66% commercial deployment sounds a lot but when broken down and stated per home passed it's really not. Virgin Media spend similar amounts per home passed just upgrading their existing network over the course of a few years let alone on the new builds.)