Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upset DLM  (Read 5079 times)

jamesfoley

Upset DLM
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »

I had some painting done in the house this weekend which required me to remove my HH5 from the room, though once re-connected the next day I'm seeing a slightly lower download and upload speed, along with a ping about twice as high as I was getting before. The higher ping is the annoying part about it.

Is it possible the DLM has stuck interleaving on the line? I always made sure to wait at least half an hour before removing any hardware.

Not sure if its worth noting but my noise margin also seems to have dropped.

Thanks in advance.

Code: [Select]
Data rate:         19999 / 76123
Maximum data rate: 24199 / 101846
Noise margin:         6.4 / 8.2
Line attenuation:       8.8 / 11.0
Signal attenuation: 8.8 / 11.0

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Upset DLM
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »

Looks like it has.

I don't think the half hour observance is a factor, you did the right thing, it's just that iDLM had an opportunity to apply the settings it was wanting to apply when you resynced.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:04:54 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »

mind you, your connection is very good (and your target SNRM is not high) so I'm a bit surprised that it felt that interleaving was needed.

jamesfoley

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »

Ah thats annoying, I'm assuming the recommended action now is to leave everything alone for a couple of weeks and hope it sorts itself out?

I'd really like to get my unlocked HG612 working as a modem for my router as well as being able to see the line stats, but I've not quite figured it out yet.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Are you connected to a Huawei cab or an ECI cab?

jamesfoley

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »

I believe its an ECI cabinet.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »

That's a shame. I would get the HG612 and MDWS up and running as soon as anyway.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:29:10 AM »

Indeed.

Mind you, your connection is extremely good, and interleave is increasing your sync rate (=speed/throughput) so it's a good thing, although you don't like the latency.

If your ISP is sufficiently clued up, they can disable interleave for you (I think, true for adsl1 on BTW 20CN anyway). If you succeed in getting them to do it, you will have a less reliable and slower connection.

There are things you can do to improve your connection quality and hence speed. Internal house wiring, good faceplate microfilter, outstanding short Tandy rj11-rj11 cable from modem to microfilter on wallsocket, mains purification, keeping mains cables away from other cables. The usual range of things that you will have seen too many times in my earlier posts.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:41:31 AM by Weaver »

jamesfoley

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »

It's actually lowering my overall speed both up and down, though not by much, but it's the ping that is the annoying part. I was sitting at around 7ms to most local servers, which has jumped to the low 20s.

Hopefully the interleaving doesn't stick around for too long.

As for the HG612, whats the best way to have this configured? I'm guessing LAN1 to WAN on the router and LAN2 to any other port on the router. At the moment its just running as a modem as it would when it was new with the router handling the connection.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »

As for the HG612, whats the best way to have this configured? I'm guessing LAN1 to WAN on the router and LAN2 to any other port on the router.
Yes that will work and give access to your modem stats from any device on the network.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »

If your ISP is sufficiently clued up, they can disable interleave for you
No they can't.

jamesfoley

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

Yes that will work and give access to your modem stats from any device on the network.

Alright, sweet. I'll reflash the unlocked firmware on the HG612 tonight and try and get DSLstats working.

I'm assuming both the modem and router need to be on the same network but with different addresses? Eg, 192.168.1.1 for the HG612 and 192.168.1.2 for my RT-AC66U. I'm not really sure how it works as I guess the HG612 will give my wan port a 192.168.1.x address?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »

Yes, it's best to have them on the same LAN. The WAN port won't get a LAN address as the HG612 is acting as a bridge, I think the router gets the WAN address from the ISP.

AFAIK the router gets a WAN address and a LAN address and routes traffic between the two.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:37:34 AM by Dray »

jamesfoley

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

Hmm, interesting. When I unlocked the HG612 initially and set it up, it was actually handling the connection itself rather than the router, so I factory reset it so it would work as I expected it to. But after I did this, if I stuck a cable into the LAN2 port it would cut the connection to the router through LAN1.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »

The HG612 can be configured in several ways, including as a bridge or as a router. If it's configured as a bridge, it will be invisible to the Internet. However, once when I had mine configured as a router I had the firewall settings too low and I could access the configuration pages from the Internet  :-[
Pages: [1] 2

anything