Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Negative / positive ion distribution in office environments  (Read 1118 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Negative / positive ion distribution in office environments
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »

Not sure what to make of this but it seems like there *may* be something in it.

In short, lots of extra positive ions are bad and negative ones might be good.

Here's some blurb:

http://www.electrostatics.net/articles/air%20ion%20effects.htm

Reported evidence concerning the effects of air ions on human performance and health

The possibility that air ions may affect human health has been suggested since the beginning of the 20th century. In the 1930's Yaglou et al published a series of papers demonstrating physiological effects of air ions and showing that air ion concentrations varied with diurnal and seasonal patterns. Yaglou suggested that air ion control should be considered an important part of indoor air conditioning.

Studies in the 1950's and 1960's indicated that human health, performance and mood were affected by certain weather conditions. In particular warm dry winds such as the Sirrocco (Italy), Sharkije (Egypt), Santa Ana (California), Hamsin or Sharav (Middle East) or the Foehn ((Central Europe), are associated with a sudden increase in morbidity (health problems). During these winds about 30% of the population were reported to suffer from migraine, depression, moodiness, lethargy or respiratory symptoms. Behaviour changes were reported to result in an increase in accidents and psychological illness. A further 30% suffered less, and about 40% suffered no effects. According to Sulman (Israel) and Kreuger (California) there was some evidence that these health changes were due to atmospheric electrical changes, in particular air ion concentrations, and the ion polarity ratio (the balance between positive to negative air ion concentrations).

Some technical blurb:

http://www.hese-project.org/hese-uk/en/papers/jamieson_who_pragueposter.pdf

Apparently, Russia has an official thingy about all this too:

SanPiN 2003. Ministry of Health of Russian Federation / Russian Ministry of Health
Protection, SanPiN (Sanitary and Epidemiological Norms)

Thoughts? :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Negative / positive ion distribution in office environments
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »

Years ago I made an ioniser from a design in an electronics magazine. I never convinced myself that it did anything for the family's health, but it certainly removed a lot of smut from the air, depositing it on the nearby wall. :)
  Eric

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »

Awesome! :D

Any idea how to measure it? I can't seem to find much on it...

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:24 PM »

I remember something similar reported years ago and (I think) it made the cillas in the nasal passages beat faster. Conclusion was yes it did something beneficial but not clear cut possibly because other things could have more effect.   

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »

I bought one from a shop many years back, and my experience was similar to Roseway's , the nearby wall got gradually covered with very fine dirt/soot from the air.  So I suppose it was achieving something!  :D

I also worked in an office where the secretary had one of these near her computer, and when some fault developed on said PC, the ioniser was blamed and removed.  Could well have been a case of "blame the nearest unusual thing" though.

Ian

anything