Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TP-Link TD-W8980 won't stay connected after SNR reset  (Read 3566 times)

remondo

• Just arrived
TP-Link TD-W8980 won't stay connected after SNR reset
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »

Hi, so a little backstory...

I have had this ADSL2+ line from BT for around 3 years. After experiencing disconnects when searching for online game servers via the BT Homehub 3, I purchased a TD-W8980 router which was great for a while. After a few months my speed dropped as a result of my noise margin increasing for an unknown reason. This has happened before with the Homehub so I reported the issue and an engineer reset my noise margin. Immediately after this happened, my TP-Link router will not hold a DSL connection. The PPPoA connection will connect briefly for a few seconds then it will disconnect. The hub control panel will become unresponsive for a minute or two then the process will repeat. The settings have not changed in the router, this just started happening this afternoon after the phone call with the engineer.

I've plugged the homehub in and that connects fine. I've cross referenced the settings in the homehub and made sure they are correct in the TP-Link router. I've tried a factory reset and deleted all connections and recreated. I've contacted BT 'tech support' and they said the connection is fine, which I know because the homehub connects. The firmware on the router is the latest version. I do not want to use the homehub router for the reasons stated above.

Here are the settings when it briefly connects (I grabbed the screenshot just as it disconnected):

After a few seconds it will disconnect then attempt to reconnect, then this repeats infinitely:

It's worth noting that the noise margin on the homehub is notably different than the TP-Link router:

I've tried alternative settings and was able to hold a connection with the G.DMT modulation type but that's ADSL1 (<8mbps) and I have an ADSL2+ connection (~18mbps).

Could a noise margin reset have altered the connection settings? Could it have broken something in my router? It's very strange.

Perhaps the TP-Link router will work in a few days when the connection settles down?

The only other mention of this issue I could find online was here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131504.0.html/ for a different ISP. I notice that kitz actually responded to that post but there was no solution.

Any help is much appreciated, the TP-Link router was much better than the homehub before this.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:00:33 PM by remondo »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TP-Link TD-W8980 won't stay connected after SNR reset
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »

Similar to the other thread, Im wondering if for some reason soon after sync there is a short noise burst, which knocks your TPlink offline.    When you had a higher target SNRm, that may have just been sufficient to keep the line connected.   The lack of line monitoring tools for the TPlink means that its impossible for us to diagnose if this is the case or not.

It may be worthwhile dropping a line to TP-link support advising them that the TD8980 immediately drops out after sync.    Ive found that usually they are quite pro-active...  and they also have a lantiq tool that they may which can monitor and record whats happening which may help them solve the issue.
The fact that something similar is happening on both yours and eddieg's line may also be a glitch in the f/w if the SNRm is too low.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything