Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I want to set up DSLStats for someone with TG582N  (Read 6226 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I want to set up DSLStats for someone with TG582N
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

I'll lay odds, it has come up before, but lengthy cold and throat, let alone memory is playing me up.

A friend continues to complain about his connection dropping, so I am thinking of  trying to see what happens.
 would like extended syslog data. Am I on track that DSLStats is configurable to permanently record and save the entries?

If wrong in thinking how else might it be done?

G.DMT

Re: I want to set up DSLStats for someone with TG582N
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »

I have one of these and it appears to me that the firmware loaded on these units (which are very cheaply availble, given out by ISPs and very good performers) has been deliberately restricted to not give all of the information and options that the chipset is capable of.

I happen to have these links bookmarked, so there you go.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#61

Telnet Commands for a Thomson / Technicolor Router
Tested on a TG587n V2 but may work on other Thomson routers
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:33:45 PM by G.DMT »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »

The TG582n should work straight out of the box with DSLstats.  Just select TG582n from the dropdown box.   I used to use a TG582n with DLSstats when on adsl2+ :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »

As Kitz says, it should work out of the box. The only slight proviso is that I'm not sure if the Plusnet-supplied TG582n is locked down.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 02:13:04 AM »

The only slight proviso is that I'm not sure if the Plusnet-supplied TG582n is locked down.

Its Plusnet branded but not locked down, afaik any limitations of the CLI is the usual thomson ones of no access to the Busybox shell and the Thomson version of the CLI.    The problem with the TG582n is that Technicolor (aka Thomson/whatever) only now supposedly sell direct to ISPs and such which is why they are often branded, but PN dont seem to have messed with the f/w too much other than slap their name on the box and in the webGUI.   I believe its quite hard these days (ie practically impossible) to get hold of the standard and unbranded f/w for it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »

Put the necessary commands in "Custom Commands"; might that be the way to get the router logs kept permanently?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by the "router logs". All the stats data gathered by DSLstats can be saved automatically in text and/or graphical form using the snapshot capability.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »

The TG582n should work straight out of the box with DSLstats.  Just select TG582n from the dropdown box. 
Mine does.  :graduate:
I'm using DSLstats version 5.01 and there's a specific option for TG582N (PlusNet). I think earlier versions didn't offer that specifically just a generic TG582N which nonetheless worked OK.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »

Put the necessary commands in "Custom Commands"; might that be the way to get the router logs kept permanently?

Oh I think I understand what you mean now - you want this sort of data to be saved permanently

Code: [Select]
2014 Oct 17 20:53:16 PPPoE notice PPPoE ACK, ifName:ppp1.1, assigned ip= gateway=195.166.128.183 nameserver=212.159.6.9,212.159.6.10 lastConnectionError=ERROR_NONE servicename=
2 2014 Oct 17 20:53:16 PPPoE notice PPP: ppp1.1 Connection Up.
3 2014 Oct 17 20:53:15 PPPoE notice IPCP Opening.
4 2014 Oct 17 20:53:15 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Up.
5 2014 Oct 17 20:53:15 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Down. Reason:0 lower down
6 2014 Oct 17 20:53:14 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Up.
7 2014 Oct 17 20:53:11 PPPoE notice Receive PADS
8 2014 Oct 17 20:53:11 PPPoE notice Send PADR
9 2014 Oct 17 20:53:11 PPPoE notice PADO received
10 2014 Oct 17 20:53:08 PPPoE notice Send PADI

Unfortunately DSLstats cant do that.   TBH Im not sure how you would do that with any of the routers.    There may be a command somewhere to output to a text file but its not anything Ive ever gone looking for.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

Mine does.  :graduate:
I'm using DSLstats version 5.01 and there's a specific option for TG582N (PlusNet). I think earlier versions didn't offer that specifically just a generic TG582N which nonetheless worked OK.

lol I hadnt noticed that.  Now Im curious..   Is it just because of the login details ie Administrator/admin & blank v the router SN ?
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

To be honest, I can't remember why I added the Plusnet version, as they both set up the same configuration. It might, as you say, be to do with the default password being different.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »

Thanks Eric.   It probably is that, because afaik the only difference between them is that PN appears to have made the login more secure for their customers. 
By default its Administrator/blank. Whereas the PN f/w uses admin and the router SN for password.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »

That could well be it. I've changed my router admin password anyway so had to enter it in the Configuration on all versions.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »

Sorry for not coming back sooner, but decided I needed to get out for an hour, having been confined for a week plus.
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:07:00 PM » Yes something like that only for ADSL2+: things like timeserver info, system up/down, info on PPP drops etc etc. My idea is to have a complete history of the router's activity as well as the info DSJStats produces

While I was out I received an email from the friend,following in edited precis
I am sending you a photograph of the socket at the point at which it enters the property.  This was fitted by BT a couple of months ago in response to an earlier complaint I raised with ISP.  Originally the telephone wire came into the property at the apex of the roof, but the BT engineer moved it to come in at ground level opposite the socket in the photograph at skirting board level in the study.  It has made no difference to the line dropping out on a random basis.
The telephone service is not affected in any way i.e. there is no hissing or crackling, corded phone used as you suggested, plugged into the socket as in the photograph.
. A photo of the installed box is in attached photo. I do not recognise it, and ahce also asked him to take a shot of the box behind the the right.

He is tending to want further contact with ISP, but  I wonder if what he calls drops are definitely caused by BT side and want to exclude his wiring provided his config allows that.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »

That's a mark 2 SSFP (Service Specific FacePlate). It's where the modem should be connected.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2