Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Observations of the FTTC DLM ES threshold  (Read 104342 times)

JustAnother

Re: Observations of the FTTC DLM ES threshold
« Reply #240 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

Mentioning here as I know people are watching MDWS - I'm 'JustAnothe', had a line fault where the leg back from the 'junction point' (?) to my house had started to break down, introducing static and popping on the line suddenly, a few days back. I had a real BT engineer visit (not from Kelly Communications) who diagnosed the issue - but importantly completely swapped the line as it turned out we have a spare properly ducted line into the property (compared to unprotected 'armoured cable' of the original line).

So now I have an almost error-free line synching at a much better upstream rate (downstream too but I'm not too bothered by that) - he also reset the DLM properly, so I suddenly have no interleaving or banding or anything. So don't think that my stats reflect normal behaviour of DLM, aside from when things went to hell earlier ;)

He did a really good job and was genuinelly interested in sorting the problem - initially I was going to have to wait months to have the fault diagnosed and the line dug up to be replaced.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #241 on: December 17, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »

It's nice to read a story which ended well.

I had a real BT engineer visit (not from Kelly Communications) who diagnosed the issue
<snip>
He did a really good job and was genuinelly interested in sorting the problem
<snip>

Clearly one from Black Sheep's flock.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #242 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »

B*Cat,  :blush: :blush: :blush: ......... still a good few of us knocking around, here and there.  ;D ;D ;D. Great result, Justanother. May I ask, what part of the country do you reside in (Just the County will do), it's just it sounds very similar to one I've been on recently ?? Cheers.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »

I am looking at JustAnothe on MDWS and to me the errored seconds look worse than it was 3 days ago :-\

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:45:01 PM by NewtronStar »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

While the ES are "worse" they are now with interleaving off.  It was on before so you can't really compare them.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

While the ES are "worse" they are now with interleaving off.  It was on before so you can't really compare them.

Your quite right of course, should have taken that into consideration while looking back into stat's

JustAnother

« Reply #246 on: December 17, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »

My secret headquarters are somewhere in the Midlands ;) It was an AM slot today for the record.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »

Alas, nowhere near you my friend. No worries, hopefully the issue has been fully resolved. Cheers. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »

Your quite right of course, should have taken that into consideration while looking back into stat's

given he is now staying within the DLM threshold, I would agree with him the line is now performing better.  As obviously the line was previously bad enough to get interleaved.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #249 on: December 17, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »

Alas, nowhere near you my friend. No worries, hopefully the issue has been fully resolved. Cheers. :)

you think its good when we get pair swaps then? :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #250 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »

On a 'Garden Leader' (from kerb to premises), it's common-place to perform a pair-swap if the new pair tests OK. It saves potential ground-works on the EU's premises (anything from a small garden front, to a palatial spread). This is in regard to 'Direct in ground' (Armoured) cable

It's rare for a 'Ducted cable' to have a faulty pair, I've personally only known one, which was down to a rat chewing on it. There is always the very rare occasion that there could be split-pairs (Causing poor AC Bal), but this doesn't seem to be what the forum member is talking about ?
However you want to view it, we weren't there on-site and not privy to the full details and as such, any comments are pure speculation and personal opinions only. :)

JustAnother

« Reply #251 on: December 17, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »

He said that a proper ducted pair was like gold dust here, so I'm lucky that the line was put in for my father's work (paid for by his company), which then went unused some years later.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #252 on: December 17, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »

given he is now staying within the DLM threshold,

Yeah but then it means there are two different thresholds one for Interleaved and non Interleaved and still both of those values are still in the grey area, yet there is a constant here and that is to reset the DLM to obtain a non Interleaved line when the DLM get's stuck.

The above will of course put a strain on BT Openreach resources yet JustAnother got there line issue sorted out in two days from fault to fix that's impressive  :)

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #253 on: December 18, 2014, 07:56:11 AM »

I notice that this morning my connection went interleaved.   ???  I am surprised at this.  It was running along with about 250ES/per day and one or two SES. I can't see any obvious reason at all in my stats which are now 24/7.  I think the only possibility is the something to do with my cable tidy up yesterday.  When doing this I accidentally pulled the power supply cable from the modem.  However I was surprised to see a reason 1 Resync though so maybe I did more than this or did it in a way which caused errors before the power down. After this I deliberately disconnected for about 40 minutes in order to do a good tidy up job without the same thing happening again.

For now I am treating it as an experiment and will see again if I really notice any difference.  My speed cap is still in place but having almost no effect as the snrms are close to 6.  It confirms my judgment that I was capping at about the interleave sync speed. If get more than a few ES I will cap the speed a bit lower.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #254 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »

Well les-70 I left my sync speed cap at 26000 kbps for 14 days and still not interleaved, so have given up hope so reset the HG612 (power off for 30 mins) there is no point in trying to fool the DLM  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20