Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Billion 7800DXL + HH5 ??  (Read 12031 times)

OldTimer

Re: Billion 7800DXL + HH5 ??
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »

Hello again,

Just a quick follow-up from my last post - I have been able to source a new unused Huawei HG612 from Ebay, so I have decided to put up with the HH5 until my HG612 arrives next week.

What I then want to do is to use the HG612 as the modem and link it in to my Billion 7800DXL. I understand that I will then be in a position to use DSLstats to monitor my line stats. I admit to have found DSLstats immensely useful on adsl2, so now that fibre has been activated on my line it will be good to keep an eye on that as well.

What I would find really helpful is to know the basic HG612>7800DXL configuration in advance so that I can be prepared for when the HG612 arrives. Can someone point me to where such settings might be found, or give me some suggestions to consider?

Has anyone configured these two boxes to work together, if so I am sure that your advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

OT

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

I can only give you some general guidance.

As I am sure you know, each device has its own IP address to which it responds and when connecting two devices together they must have distinct, non-clashing addresses on the same sub-net. The default IPv4 address of a Huawei HG612 is 192.168.1.1 so it is important that your Billion 7800DXL is configured to use an address on the 192.168.1.X sub-net. I would recommend using 192.168.1.254 which is the uppermost available address that can be used.

When you receive the HG612 I assume you will update the firmware to the latest unlocked version. To perform that task, you will need to use an Ethernet patch lead to connect the modem to a computer and then follow the unlocking guide. The modem should not be connected to the line carrying the VDSL2 service whilst it is being unlocked.

At this point, you should connect the computer to one of the LAN ports of the 7800DXL and enter its GUI. Check to what its default IPv4 address is set and if it will conflict with the HG612's address of 192.168.1.1 or is not on the the 192.168.1.X sub-net, modify it accordingly. The 7800DXL should be set to PPPoE mode and the login credentials for your broadband service should be set to that which is currently used by the HH5. The 7800DXL should also be set to act as a local DHCP server and a DNS server. Other settings should be appropriate for all your local devices. Once all the preliminary configuration is done, you are ready to check that the HG612 itself is accessible from a device connected to your LAN.

I will now suggest that you have the HG612 (disconnected from the VDSL2 service) connected via its LAN1 port, using an Ethernet patch cable, to the EWAN port of the 7800DXL. You then should connect the LAN2 port of the HG612 to a free LAN port of the 7800DXL. Finally connect the computer to another one of the 7800DXL's LAN ports. With the HG612 still disconnected from the VDSL2 service, you should now be able to interrogate the HG612's GUI by pointing your web-browser to 192.168.1.1 and the 7800DXL's GUI by point your web-browser to 192.168.1.254 (if that is the address you have configured the 7800DXL to use -- see above).

If all the above has been successful, connect the WAN port of the HG612 to the VDSL2 service with an RJ11 plug to RJ11 plug lead. Within a minute the modem should indicate that it has synchronised with the cabinet DSLAM by displaying a solid green LED. Once that has been achieved, then you should see the 7800DXL establish a PPPoE session with your ISP/CP by the lighting of its appropriate LED(s).

It all looks complicated and I have probably missed something out . . . but I hope it is sufficient for you to see what needs to be performed. If you run into a problem, I am sure that other members of the forum will try to assist. I am at the limit of my knowledge because (1) I do not have any experience of a Billion 7800DXL (2) I do not have a VDSL2 based Broadband service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

OldTimer

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »

burakkucat, many thanks 'once again' for your exceedingly helpful guidance. I am a complete novice when it begins to get deeply technical, but with your notes, and with the downloaded unlocking guide I was able to successfully update the firmware on the HG612 to the latest unlocked version.

I proceeded slowly through the points in your note and to my absolute delight arrived at:

With the HG612 still disconnected from the VDSL2 service, you should now be able to interrogate the HG612's GUI by pointing your web-browser to 192.168.1.1 and the 7800DXL's GUI by point your web-browser to 192.168.1.254

Here I was able, as you suggested, able to 'interrogate' both the HG612 and the 7800DXL.

After that I wasn't quite as successful. I can only conclude that I messed up somewhere with the configuration in the 7800DXL. The HG612 was connected to the VDSL2 service, and to the WAN port in the 7800DXL but I couldn't get an Internet connection. So it's back to the drawing board with that part of things when my head is a little clearer.

If anyone reads this who has a Billion 7800DXL and also uses a VDSL2 service (possibly utilising the HG612) I'm sure it's configuring the 7800DXL where I'm stuck, so I would really appreciate hearing from you, especially if you can 'walk me through' what the various setting should be.

Regards,

OT

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »

Oh, so close but not quite close enough!  :)

Assuming that:
  • the HG612 is showing synchronism with the cabinet based DSLAM
  • you can still interrogate the HG612 from a computer connected to a LAN port of the 7800DXL
  • you can still interrogate the 7800DXL from the same computer referenced in the preceding point
then I agree that it is just the 7800DXL which still needs some attention to its configuration.

Taking a guess, I wonder if it the authentication step that is failing. You should ensure that the 7800DXL is using the same credentials (login/password) as set (by default) in the BT HH5.

b*cat climbs (using his inbuilt climbing spikes) to the top of the telephone pole and calls loudly for other Kitizens to please assist . . .

OldTimer

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »

burakkucat et al,

Well, at least I now have access to the Internet .... I found the place in the 7800DXL where you put the Broadband Username .... it was a little hidden, changed it to what it says in the HH5 and verily it works (so long as I plug the Ethernet cables into the correct ports)  ;) I need now to work out the Wireless connection settings, because currently I can only access the Internet with an ethernet cable plugged in to my laptop. Most of my work is done in a different room to where the line comes in, so I depend upon a wireless connection for several things that are on the network.

Thanks for climbing the pole burakkucat, if any one responds to you plea I'd still like to hear from them  :)

Regards,

OT

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »

Well this thread interests me, as I have a 7800 DXL and hope to continue using it when/if FTTC ever comes my way.

Per IP addresses, whilst I have mine configured differently, I believe the default is 192.168.1.254, as suggested by Burakkucat, so no change needed.  That may be worth confirming however, by navigating to Configuration->lan, and confirming 'ip address'.

You shoud also ensure the IP address of the modem is excluded from the range of the DHCP pool, defined by 'start IP ' and 'end IP' under 'DHCP' on the above config page.   I think by default, start is 192.168.1.100, so nothing should need changing.

One thing I'd expect to change, though may be mistaken, is on configuration->wan->Wan Service.

Under 'ATM interface', I wonder if PPPoA needs changed to PPPoE?   That can be changed by clicking edit, but not sure what then needs to be entered for remaining authentication details :-[

One thing I am not clear about...

I will now suggest that you have the HG612 (disconnected from the VDSL2 service) connected via its LAN1 port, using an Ethernet patch cable, to the EWAN port of the 7800DXL. You then should connect the LAN2 port of the HG612 to a free LAN port of the 7800DXL.

...Why is the second patch, from LAN2 to 7800 required?

Finally one more comment, that may be spurious.   It is a little known fact that the GUi for most modems (every one I have owned) can be reached by specifying the public IP address from the local premises,  even though 'remote admin' is disabled.   They are clever enough to no that the request was 'local', regardless of whether the public or private IP address is specified. ;)

PS I see that while I was composing the above, some progress was reported.   Good news. :)

I am cannot think of anything to contribute however, as to why wired should now work, but not wireless.  The 7800 is capable of highly adventurous configurations with multipe virtual lans but assuming you have stuck with defaults, the if 'wired' now works, I'd expect 'wireless' to work too. :-\
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:02:10 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »

There are rather a lot of option for Wireless of course. Just stick with 2.4G and apart from choosing an SSID name (anything you like) and setting up the security (use WPA2) there's not a lot you have to configure.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »

A purrfect result by OT and welcome post by 7LM.

Yes, that is a good point to ensure that the device's newly configured IP address is outside of the range of the DHCP pool. If 192.168.1.254 is the 7800XDL's default, then nothing needs to be done.

I'm sure I did make a brief mention of the requirement to set the device to PPPoE . . .  :-\

The HG612 is configured to act as a pure bridge. VDSL2 service at the "line" socket which accepts an RJ11 plug and Ethernet at the LAN1 socket. The LAN2 socket is the means by which the internal "gubbins" (sorry for the usage of such technical words  :D  ) is accessed. So by connecting the HG612's LAN2 port to a free LAN port on the router, any device on the LAN can access the HG612's internals by means of the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address.

I think Kitz has written up some details, complete with a diagram . . . but I can't find it.  :no:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »

There are rather a lot of option for Wireless of course. Just stick with 2.4G and apart from choosing an SSID name (anything you like) and setting up the security (use WPA2) there's not a lot you have to configure.

I was assuming WiFi was already working, before VDSL.   If not, then even more of my comments need to be ignored, and SSID/security will indeed need setting up.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:21 PM »

. So by connecting the HG612's LAN2 port to a free LAN port on the router, any device on the LAN can access the HG612's internals by means of the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address.

If that is the only reason for second patch then, when my turn comes, I will test my theory that the HG612 can alternatively be accessed without that patch, and by using its WAN IP address.   But for now, let's stick with B'cat's suggested config.   :)

PS again, a yes... pure bridge.   Pennies begin to drop.  :-[

Definitely stick with B'cat's config!   I'll start a separate thread if I feel the need for more detailed debate on this point.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:26:29 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »

There is a setting you should follow if this is your first time set-up to unlock the HG612 and it's this
3. Configure the ethernet NIC of your PC with IP address 192.168.1.100.

And this only needs to be done once.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:00:43 AM by NewtronStar »

OldTimer

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »

Feeling just a tad tired now, but I thought that before I finally go to bed (it's been a long day), I thought I would let you kind and generous kitizens know that my wireless connection is now working well. I'll look at how I managed it tomorrow, when my head is a little clearer  :)

Also got Eric's DSLstats reporting on on my VDSL2 connection as well, yipee!

TTFN,

OT
Pages: 1 [2]