Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Billion 7800DXL + HH5 ??  (Read 11968 times)

OldTimer

Billion 7800DXL + HH5 ??
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »

Hi,

I should be getting Infinity installed Wednesday, 18th June. I understood from the BT Sales guy (who was very helpful) that the Huawei made Openreach Modem is now no longer supplied to new fibre customers. Now I love my fibre ready 7800DXL and have been very happy with it since I bought it some months ago. I would have preferred the Huawei modem, but now that as it would seem I'm about to get the HH5, can someone confirm that the HH5 and my 7800DXL can be linked together? Is it the HH5 that is connected to the socket in the box on the wall, and then the HH5 then links into the 7800DXL.

I much prefer the flexibility of information from the Billion 7800DXL, so given the above scenario, whichever way round, which box provides the line stats?

Regards,

Oldtimer

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Billion 7800DXL + HH5 ??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »

You've got a few options...

1. Use the HH5 as the modem, DHCP server and the 7800DXL essentially runs as a wireless access point
2. Disable the HH5 DHCP server, WiFi, etc. and run it solely as a modem, with the 7800DXL doing everything else (the line stats will become unavailable if you do that I would think)
3. Buy a VDSL modem from eBay (such as the Huawei HG612), connect it to the 7800DXL, with the HG612 simply acting as a modem and the 7800DXL doing everything else.

I'm sure there are other options too, but those are the ones I could come up with.

OldTimer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »

Apologies for the slightly delayed response, but forgive me if I ask for a little further clarification.

I admit to being no technical wiz, but it would seem that the HH5 is not everybody's favourite cup of tea so-to-speak. I know that some of this may be about personal preferences as well as hardware reliability, but various forum posts that I have read, chiefly on BT's own forum, make me reluctant to rely totally on the HH5, especially as my purchase of the Billion BiPac 7800DXL is quite recent, it is reliable, and I do like it. My ultimate personal choice would be to have the Huawei HG612 as the modem, with it then connecting to the 7800DXL, which, as I understand it would then enable me to utilse the 7800DXL for line stats etc..

I am however, for the time being at least in a bit of a cleft stick, with limited options. If my anticipated connection to Fibre supplied broadband is activated on Wednesday, as BT have advised it should be, then I have little choice but to use the HH5 in some capacity initially.

Let me just explain what I have that needs a connection to broadband:

1: My laptop (Wireless)
2: My desktop PC (Wireless - via BT dual-band dongle)
3: Daughter's laptop (Wireless)
4: Wife's iPad (Wireless)
5: Smart TV (by Ethernet cable)

I am unsure as to how much the engineer will do when he comes on Wednesday. Tell me if I'm wrong, but is it probable that he will not be allowed to 'disable' anything in the HH5 (as would seem necessary if item 2 was adopted). If that is the case then maybe all I will be left with is option 1, namely using the HH5 as the modem, DHCP server with the 7800DXL running as a wireless access point. If that is so, then which piece of kit provides me with my line stats?

I would welcome any further thoughts on the above that would help me get the right configuration.

With grateful thanks,

Alan (aka OldTimer)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

the device connected to the line supplies the stats.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:13:56 AM »

What type of installation are you scheduled to receive, OT? If it is a managed installation, then the installing engineer should ensure that (at least) one device operates correctly. If it is an ordinary (i.e. unmanaged) installation, the task built will be just to perform the necessary jumpering in the PCP, fit a SSFP (a centralised filter) to the NTE5/A and ensure that the modem achieves synchronisation with the cabinet DSLAM.

Personally, I would put the HH5 out of sight in a cupboard, leave the 7800DXL in view and ask the engineer if he has a HG612 in his van which he could leave for use with the 7800DXL.  :)

The offer of tea or coffee, chocolate biscuits or a bacon sandwich may also be advantageous!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

OldTimer

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »

What type of installation are you scheduled to receive, OT? If it is a managed installation, then the installing engineer should ensure that (at least) one device operates correctly. If it is an ordinary (i.e. unmanaged) installation, the task built will be just to perform the necessary jumpering in the PCP, fit a SSFP (a centralised filter) to the NTE5/A and ensure that the modem achieves synchronisation with the cabinet DSLAM.

Hi there,

This is where I expose even more of my lack of technical understanding. I'm not totally sure what you mean by an OT installation, or managed/unmanaged installation. All I know is that I was advised bt Sales when I placed the order that I needed an engineer to install/activate the Infinity service (one-off £30 charge). I do however already have an SSFP socket in place. It was fitted by another engineer on a previous visit. My understanding, as it was explained to me by the engineer, is that it is ready for fibre, with the dedicated broadband socket at the top. I have no extensions currently wired in.

Personally, I would put the HH5 out of sight in a cupboard, leave the 7800DXL in view and ask the engineer if he has a HG612 in his van which he could leave for use with the 7800DXL.  :)

Great idea, I will give it a try. I'll also have a plentiful supply of choccie biccys, tea, coffee - even de-caff should he require it, although I don't know about the bacon sandwich!  ;)

Regards,

Alan

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »

It looks as if you have misread my typing / misinterpreted my meaning . . .

What type of installation are you scheduled to receive, OT? If it is a managed installation, <snip>

The question I asked was "What type of installation are you scheduled to receive?" and I appended the OT, nothing more than an abbreviation of your identity, OldTimer, to make the question more . . . er . . . personal. I guess I could have typed --

"What type of installation are you scheduled to receive, Alan?"

It reads to me as if BT Residential (what was previously BT Retail) have put you down for a managed install and then decided you should pay £30 for the privilege! I do hope you get an Openreach technician and not a subcontractor from Kelly Communications or M J Quinn:-X

OldTimer

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »

There are occasions when you feel a right numpty, and I guess this is one of them! Here's me looking for the technical and complicated and the explanation was so simple I missed it completely. Still, look on the bright side, my mistake even made me smile  :) Thanks for your clarification.

I didn't realise that BT put Infinity installations out to contract, so as you suggest I would hope for an Openreach engineer, but whoever comes I would prefer somebody who knows what he is doing, is susceptible to chocolate biscuits, and carries a surplus HG612 in his van ;)

Thanks again,

OT (...... a.k.a .... Alan)

OldTimer

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:09:36 PM »

Well would you Adam & Eve it? Two engineer visits were planned for this week, firstly today from a Broadband engineer to deal with an issue discussed at some length in another thread, and on Wednesday, to deal with the Infinity installation. Today's engineer was more than helpful, and in a friendly conversation the subject of the HH5 vs Openreach (Huawei HG612) modem cropped up. My HH5 was delivered today in advance of Wednesday's appointment, but when I mentioned my preference for the HG612 my very helpful engineer today said "I've got one on the van if you want one"! Wonderful, marvellous I said to myself, and he didn't even want a cup of tea, a chocolate biscuit or even a bacon sarnie. What a nice man! :thumbs:

EDITED PS:
I am adding this after my original post as having looked at the box containing the modem that the engineer left, I don't think that it is a HG612, but an ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B . I think the guy was genuinely trying to be helpful, but simply mistook the model he had on the van. I would welcome any comment on this, although I will search the forum in a moment. Just as a further thought, I 'think' that the Fibre street cabinet is an ECI cabinet, as I seem to remember having seen images of the Huawei & ECI cabinets somewhere, I will also try and find that again as well .

Just as an additional matter of interest the really helpful chap today seemed to think that the engineer on Wednesday would likely be from one of the contract firms. If so, is there anything I particularly need to be aware of, or to ask him?

Regards,

OT  ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:59:37 PM by OldTimer »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »

To identify the modem at a glance -- look at the RJ45 sockets labelled LAN1 & LAN2. If a yellow surround is visible, it is an ECI B-FOCuS. If a metallic surround is visible, it is an Huawei HG612.

To identify the modem precisely -- look at the label on its underside.

It is possible that an Huawei modem has been put in an ECI box (and vice-versa).

There are various images around and about of the different types of cabinet. However it might be simplest if you could photograph the one through which your circuit will be connected and then post the image here. I've attached for reference, below, photographs of an ECI and a large Huawei cabinets.

What should be be aware of with reference to sub-contractors? They are paid per job they attend, they are not provided even with the basic test-equipment, they seem to have minimal training, they are a constant source of complaints -- both from end-users and Openreach technicians who end up having to "right the wrongs" and sort out the "messes & muddles" left behind.  :-X

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:24:23 AM »

Just to add to the above comment concerning contractors, if you do get a contractor then the best thing would be if they do as little as possible, which is what they want to do anyway. You already have an Openreach SSFP properly installed by OR, so the visiting installer doesn't need to mess with your internal wiring.
  Eric

OldTimer

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »

To identify the modem precisely -- look at the label on its underside.

....However it might be simplest if you could photograph the one through which your circuit will be connected and then post the image here. I've attached for reference, below, photographs of an ECI and a large Huawei cabinets.

I have checked the label on the underside and it is definately an ECI modem.

Photographs of the existing and new fibre cabinet are attached as suggested, and would seem to confirm that the cabinet that will supply my fibre connection is also an ECI cabinet (same as your image).

Does this imply that an ECI cabinet to an ECI modem will be advantageous, or should I still seek out an Huawei HG612?

Regards,

OT

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »

Thank you for posting those images. Yes, the new "fibre" cabinet is ECI equipped. Purely out of interest, what is the distance between the PCP and it's new fibre twin? (I note the same wall construction immediately behind each of them, so I suspect they are within "touching distance" . . . )

So you definitely have been given an ECI B-FOCuS modem. If you do not want to monitor your line statistics, then it will be the perfect partner with your Billion 7800DXL. The ECI modem will act as a VDSL2 to Ethernet bridge (& vice versa) and should have its LAN1 port connected to the EWAN port of the Billion router. The Billion 7800DXL should then be configured to provide the login credentials for the service and will provide all the normal facilities that one would expect (DHCP server, WAP, DNS server, etc). If my last sentence reads a little bit off-putting, do not worry. I am certain that other fellow Kitizens, who have been there before, with a VDSL2 service  will be willing to assist.

If you do wish to monitor your line statistics, either with Eric's DSLstats or with the Bald Eagle1 / Ronski collaboration, then sourcing an Huawei HG612 will be necessary.

OldTimer

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »

Purely out of interest, what is the distance between the PCP and it's new fibre twin?

The two cabinets are just outside the Baptist Church I attend, one either side of the gate, and are about 15ft apart.

If you do wish to monitor your line statistics, either with Eric's DSLstats or with the Bald Eagle1 / Ronski collaboration, then sourcing an Huawei HG612 will be necessary.

I will ask the engineer when he arrives tomorrow whether he has a Huawei HG612 on his van, if not, or if he is unwilling to say, then I will see if he will set me up with the ECI modem for the time being, and then try to get hold of an HG612 from elsewhere, as I have found monitoring my line stats extremely useful.

Just for interest's sake I will post what happens tomorrow.

Regards,

OT

OldTimer

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »

As promised here is my update post fibre installation...

The first thing to say is that it was a contract installer from M. J. Quinn. I wasn't able to get many words out of him, and he showed no interest in connecting the ECI modem the OE engineer left with me. Today's engineer insisted in installing the service via the HH5, commenting to the effect that it was a combined modem/router so I didn't need anything else. I asked him whether he carried a spare HG612 in his van, and received a mumbled answer in the negative.

What really surprised me is that he had to ask me where the new 'fibre' cabinet was. I suppose that it was fortunate that I knew the answer and was able to direct him.

The positive bit is that I am now connected to fibre and about 5 hrs after connection receiving downstream speeds of 37.5 Mbps, and upstream speeds of 9.45 Mbps.

In configuring laptops / desktop / phones , iPad etc... one issue to solve is that so far, although my iPad Air does say ''Connected' to the wireless signal, I have not yet been able use e-mail or the Internet via the iPad. All I get is "Unable to get results. Please check your network connection". I guess that I should post that query in another forum, but just in case you know the answer - any ideas?

I will definately try and source a HG612 from somewhere, but in the meantime I guess I have to decide whether to leave the HH5 as it is until the HG612 is available, or connect the ECI B-FOCuS modem. Should I decide to connect the ECI modem then what do I do so that it connects to my Billion 7800DXL ensuring that things are configured correctly?

Regards,

OT

Pages: [1] 2

anything