Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky's new SR102 ?  (Read 9758 times)

kTiz12

• Just arrived
Sky's new SR102 ?
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »

Has anyone got one of the new Sky Sr102 VDSL modem/routers and made a start on extracting the firmware for modding/hacking ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sky's new SR102 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »

Funny enough I was looking myself last w/e, but I believe that so far, neither of the new sky hubs have been hackable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AdriHD

• I drank WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »

Ive had a look at mine and there appears to be a 12 pin (or 10, can't remember) header on the board. I wouldn't be shocked if this is a JTAG header. When I get some time I'll see what I get outta the pins from the scope.
Holy chatrooms batman! To the MODmobile!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »

Sky will supply you the source code if you write to them (yes really, they try to make it that difficult). Legally they have no choice as its a modded Busybox so is pretty much all open source GPL.

That should allow you to build your own kernel.

The header is JTAG.

Edit - however do remember that Sky recently changed their T&Cs to compel customers to use only hardware supplied by Sky for all VDSL2 ("fibre") services. My understanding of this change is that it is related to vectoring & is likely to become more widespread amongst all ISPs. You run the danger that if you disable TR069 (for example) on the Sky router then the MAC address will become blacklisted after several attempts to remotely update the f/w are made & fail. Hasn't happened yet but I'm fairly sure it will as BTO will inevitably have to compel ISPs to disconnect EU equipment which doesn't support vectoring so the ISPs will have to push updates out to clients.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:36:17 PM by rizla »

Matt1234123

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »

Hello, I looked at my Sky router a while ago and got bord, attached is the Serial interface pinout I found.
You can connect to it (standard console), to see the "other software" running on the router.
I think the JTAG pins are on the other side, where the connections are too small (for me) to connect to.

I can't quite remember - but the line username/password is stored in one of the top partitions, so you can use them on a different router.

CompanionCube

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »

Can you get a picture of this console? I'm not into hardware hacking, but I am into software hacking - over at the SkyUser forum I've been working on a custom firmware. Here's the link: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/57470-custom-firmware-sr102.html. I would appreciate any ideas for the issue mentioned in the last post, as well.