Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible hardware problem - your views please  (Read 3199 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Possible hardware problem - your views please
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »

Currently, and since around 5:40 this morning, I appear to be having a problem with DSLstats and my router / modem combination. I'm using the Plusnet supplied router (TG582N) and an unlocked HG612, which has been running without any problems for many weeks, until this morning. I've restarted the router, power cycled everything including the PC, and still the message 'No response from router' appears in the top status line of DSLstats. Tried telnet to address 192.168.1.1 which times out after around 2 minutes, although I can open the GUI on the TG582N via my browser. I am still able to browse the net and collect email without any difficulty, but I just cannot get DSLstats to connect successfully - any ideas what else I might try.

In addition to this hardware, I recently bought a Technicolor TG589vnv3, which didn't come with a setup CD, and I have not yet connected it to the line, but have checked that it powers up and I get lots of BLINKENLIGHTS.

Any suggestions gratefully received

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Possible hardware problem - your views please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

Sounds to me like your HG612 possibly got updated as per this thread.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »

Hello Stuart,

Yes, I did wonder if that might be the case. Do you know if it is recoverable, i.e. by reapplying the 'unlocked' software. I'll have to dig out the docs that I used before.

I'd like to prevent this happening again, but at the moment I don't seem able to get access to the modem, via the GUI or telnet.

Thanks for replying,

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »

If you can restore the previous unlocked firmware you can then disable the BT agent processes which support remote updating. You can do this manually by typing a command in the CLI, or you can set up DSLstats to do it automatically. The image below shows how to do it in DSLstats. (Don't worry about the messages in the output window, they just mean that the BT agent processes have already been killed).
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »

Thanks for that Eric.

I'll give it a go tomorrow, if I can find the 'unlocking' docs and a suitable firmware.

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »

I'll give it a go tomorrow, if I can find the 'unlocking' docs and a suitable firmware.

Still available from Asbokid's blog [1]. Just look in the right hand panel and scroll down a little.

[1] http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything