Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poorly Keyboard  (Read 7460 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Poorly Keyboard
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »

Hi all, hope you are having a good christmas.

Unfortunately I was enojying a lowering pint of ale when my arm clipped it causing some spillage over my keyboard.

Thankfully the pint was recovered without much loss, however the keyboard didnt really work correctly afterwards and after being drained off is now under a radiator recovering.

Only time will tell if it will work again. Its a shame, it was a decent Cherry USB keyboard I bought to use instead of this tacky dell one (now in use).

At the time I had to reset the PC as when a replacement keyboard was plugged it that failed to operate correctly, as indeed the mouse insisted on misbehaving dispite being physically unaffected. Oh how my blood boiled. The dell keyboar was puched a couple of times before I decided to interupt iTunes by ripping out the power cord and starting again.

Thankfully on powering up again all is well, and the Dell keyboard is slim and flimsy enough to be unaffected by my short lived and half hearted outburst.

As for the decent keyboard, only time will tell if it will work again.

Re: Poorly Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:12:26 PM »

It won't work well unless you wash it.

The way to sort it out (I have extensive experience of spilling beer on keyboards :D) is to prise each key off and then wash them. Prise them off using a knife or something thin and sharp - put it under the corner of the letter/number and gently pop it off. Wash them all in warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, rinse and allow to dry for a day or so somewhere warm like an airing cupboard.

In the meantime take your keyboard and immerse it in WARM (not hot) soapy water - dishwashing liquid in your bath is ideal. Yes REALLY :) Give it a good soak for at least an hour then drain. Repeat the process with warm water with no soap until there isn't any soapy residue. Then put it in COLD water overnight and then put it somewhere warm to dry for at least a week. If you can remove the back EASILY then do so prior to the wash as it will dry much faster but don't force it as most keyboards are held together with plastic clips which are easily broken - and superglue doesn't work on most of these plastics.

If you have a dishwasher then a 35C (no hotter than that) wash with no dishwasher powder usually works well but DON'T put it on a cycle where heat is applied to dry it as in most cases this will melt part of the keypad membrane.

HTH.

Edit - do make sure you know where the keys go on the keyboard before taking it to bits. A quick piccie on a digital camera helps loads here ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:14:48 PM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »

I so sympathise.

Several years ago... new laptop....   :cry2:

I eventually had to get a new one :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:50:11 PM »

Indeed it has dried out for a few hours and doesn't work properly.

I will indeed follow the detailed instructions provided by rizla and see if i am able to properly wash it out.

It wasn't an expensive keyboard but it is of excellent build quality (made in Germany) and the particular model is no longer readily available to buy.

At least it isnt such an inconvenience or so problematic as kitz's laptop looks to have been.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:48:37 AM »

Sing along:

What shall we do with the drunken keyboard?
Early in the morning.

Hey ho, and up we prises.
Spacebar and all letters.

Soak it in the bath until it's sober.
Early in the morning.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:55:18 PM »

It's probably to late now as it has either dried out or started to dry out.
But in the past I have had mixed success with tea/coffee spillages with the office keyboards.

Whilst still wet, give it a good run under cold water, (no need to remove any keys etc) just plenty of cold water.
Then, leave it standing on it's bottom edge so the water can drain off as quick as possible (IE: space-bar at the bottom, DO NOT leave it lying flat as the water has nowhere to run off to).

Then leave at least a couple of days or even longer in the warm to dry.

CAUTION with some some keyboards if you take the back cover off, a million and one springs (okay, a 100+) all fly out, and putting it back again is a very time consuming job.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »

That's good advice - get to it before it dries into a sticky mess :)

I tend to find that if I've spilt beer on it then I'm probably not in a condition to mess about with it though :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »

How often do you guys spill coffee and beer on your keyboards? :lol:
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:14:17 AM »

How often you guys spilt coffee and beer on your keyboards!

Never, but there's always a first time.  :angel:

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »

Hardly ever now but when I was a gamer then about once a month :lol:

Edit - I managed to short out one of the original PS/2 IBM keyboards once. What a pain that was - IBM keyboards used to make the next best on the market look like kids toys :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »

heh - I remember what must have been back in the early 90's and the branch manager spilling a cup of coffee over his keyboard.
The repair bill back then was £150+ from Olivetti.  Good job it was him who did it and not me :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:44:58 PM »

Ah the IBM PS/2 keyboards were a joy. I probably sound like some sort of weirdo to most of your readers but the key travel, click and return travel made them an absolute joy to work on. ALL the keyboards on the mass market now are total junk compared to it.

That lappie must have hurt kitz. A Celeron - my word that brings back memories of the so-called "rubbish" Celeron 300A. No L2 cache so it overclocked like a demon - gamers choice every time. I had one that ran at 528MHz with air cooling - an overclock of 76% with no mods. One lunatic I knew had it up around 700MHz with water cooling :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 01:38:04 AM »

>> That lappie must have hurt kitz.

It did... Was a damn good lil lappy for the few months I had it in 2005 :(

Despite being a Celly - believe it or not, it was actually a far better spec than most other machines at the time.  Cant remember the exact though now Im afraid but it had one of the first mobile processors... and was bleedin fast for a lappy at the time with just about everything about from a "proper pentium" chip.

Edit just found the specs  FJS V2000D

In the end it was the spillage on the mobo which seemed to kill it.  :'(
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 07:58:45 AM »

Ah the IBM PS/2 keyboards were a joy. I probably sound like some sort of weirdo to most of your readers but the key travel, click and return travel made them an absolute joy to work on. ALL the keyboards on the mass market now are total junk compared to it.

Not a weirdo at all (not in this respect anyway :) ). I'm typing on one of those wonderful IBM keyboards right now, and it's a real pleasure. It's heavy enough to give you a hernia picking it up, so it doesn't walk around the desk when you're using it.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 08:20:46 AM »

I used to have a Celeron 300A clocked to 450mhz - ran like a dream till i reached round the back of the machine to unplug a usb device and pulled the ps2 keyboard out by mistake which blew the celery  :(

never could find another 1 after that so it was an almost complete upgrade to a sempron 700 - WOW !!

Paul
Pages: [1] 2

anything