Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Announces NEW Home Hub 5 with Built in VDSL modem  (Read 16570 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
BT Announces NEW Home Hub 5 with Built in VDSL modem
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »

BT has today announced yet another new HomeHub 5 router that includes special support for their superfast broadband (FTTC) based BTInfinity packages by adding a built-in VDSL2 modem, the latest ultrafast Gigabit capable 802.11ac WiFi technology and 4 GigE (1000Mbps Ethernet) ports.

The new kit follows hot on the heels of BT’s recent Hub 4 launch in May 2013 (here), which is visually almost identical to the new Home Hub 5 except for the extra wizardry inside. In particular the newly integrated VDSL2 modem means that BTInfinity customers will no longer need a separate Openreach modem to connect via an FTTC line (a tactic that’s also just been adopted by EE).

Originally from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/uk-isp-bt-unveils-new-home-hub-5-vdsl2-broadband-wireless-router.html.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Announces NEW Home Hub 5 with Built in VDSL modem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »

Excellent :)

An all in one box that actually seems to have everything that it should. :thumbs:
Hopefully the other ISPs may soon start following this practice too  :fingers:

Some router manufacturers need to start also looking at what people need and bring out a decent box too.  ATM the choice is far too limited or too expensive, & the BiPac is let down by the fact that it only has ethernet ports not GigE

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »

The Huawei HG622 is another (fairly basic) one box solution for VDSL2 or ADSL connections & we can at least use the monitoring programs with it to harvest & graph connection stats.

I very strongly suspect the HH5 will be very tightly locked down as for some strange reason, BT seem rather reluctant to allow us users to see how well (or poorly) our connections actually perform in the real world.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »

Sadly I think you may be right about the BT box. :(

>> The Huawei HG622

Are any of these still available?   I may need to try and get my paws on one  ;)

..  and also on a side note I'd seen mention that perhaps the sync isnt quite as good when using them, can someone confirm if that was more of a one off?   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:36 AM »

Another possible option is the HG612, although it only has two ethernet ports and no wireless.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

..  and also on a side note I'd seen mention that perhaps the sync isnt quite as good when using them, can someone confirm if that was more of a one off?

I have tested a HG622 against my HG612 (connected to a Huawei DSLAM) & saw very little difference between them in terms of performance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »

>>> two ethernet ports and no wireless.

A big minus for me Im afraid - wireless is imperative and Id need to add on a switch and WAP, which negates the all in one solution  :(

>>> I have tested a HG622 against my HG612 (connected to a Huawei DSLAM) & saw very little difference between them in terms of performance.

Thank you BE for that confirmation,  with not having FTTC myself,  Id not been following too closely other than see a brief mention.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

Just a thought BE. 

When the engineer installs, is it worth trying to get a HG612 if he has one on his van...  or will I be best with the ECI since my cab DSLAM is ECI.

---
Scratch that, as I think the HG612's can be obtained fairly cheaply on ebay, so Im possibly best sticking with an ECI if thats what I get?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:27:35 PM by kitz »
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

Scratch that, as I think the HG612's can be obtained fairly cheaply on ebay, so Im possibly best sticking with an ECI if thats what I get?

From what I can gather, engineers are currently instructed to only install ECI modems, regardless of the type of DSLAM.

Perhaps BS could confirm the current position?

A cynic might think that was purely because BT know it's much harder for users to get reliable stats from an ECI modem, even when unlocked  :-\

There does seem to be a very slight incompatibility between HG612 modems & ECI DSLAMS (particularly on longer D-side connections), but in my opinion not sufficient to outweigh the ability to obtain & graph connection stats.

I would recommend obtaining a HG612, even if it is for very occasional use for 'snapshot' connection stats harvesting/graphing.

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »

It was my understanding a built in VDSL modem/router is currently against Openreach's FTTC specifications? I guess we can see this being changed soon...

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »

It was my understanding a built in VDSL modem/router is currently against Openreach's FTTC specifications? I guess we can see this being changed soon...

The rules were changed at the end of last year.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »

From what I can gather, engineers are currently instructed to only install ECI modems, regardless of the type of DSLAM.

Perhaps BS could confirm the current position?

A cynic might think that was purely because BT know it's much harder for users to get reliable stats from an ECI modem, even when unlocked  :-\

There does seem to be a very slight incompatibility between HG612 modems & ECI DSLAMS (particularly on longer D-side connections), but in my opinion not sufficient to outweigh the ability to obtain & graph connection stats.

I would recommend obtaining a HG612, even if it is for very occasional use for 'snapshot' connection stats harvesting/graphing.

For what it's worth, we had a trial whereby only ECI modems were available from our 'Stores'. Would you Adam and Eve it ?? We can now only book out Huawei modems from 'Stores'. Both modems are still available to us using eASC, which is the on-line ordering system, as opposed to our 'walk in' Stores points.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »

For what it's worth, we had a trial whereby only ECI modems were available from our 'Stores'. Would you Adam and Eve it ?? We can now only book out Huawei modems from 'Stores'. Both modems are still available to us using eASC, which is the on-line ordering system, as opposed to our 'walk in' Stores points.

An enginer who visited my home on Saturday also confirmed that only HG612s are now being issued as van stores again.

He wasn't at all complimentary about ECI modems being used (in the Oldham area - all Huawei DSLAMS), saying that sometimes an ECI modem simply won't sync at all, particularly on longer connections.
However, the same connection would sync immediately when using a HG612 modem.

That was rather a problem for engineers when the ECI modem only trial was in force.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »

Some router manufacturers need to start also looking at what people need and bring out a decent box too.  ATM the choice is far too limited or too expensive, & the BiPac is let down by the fact that it only has ethernet ports not GigE
Well, I guess while OR insisted on its own soft NTE (modem) under its control for VDSL, there wasn't a great incentive for them to do that.

As for my tuppence-worth on the points in this thread that you have been musing:
>> The Huawei HG622
I think the basis of that quote is that both the HG622 and the 'new blob' for the HG612 are (i.e. have) different firmwares to the original HG612, and both of these firmware seem to take a slightly different approach to the use of the bins in the tone plan - at least on initial sync.  There has been some speculation that the newer firmwares tend to redistrbute the bit-loadings away from the shared tones.  However, once bit-swapping starts things change...  One point that has been demonstrated to me by both of these firmwares is that a consequence of this is that there can be (was in my case) a 2.5-4Mb/s lowering of the max attainable sync rates (presumably because of the above during training).  However, as both BE and Asbokid have said, once synced the performance (and the actual rate) is not materially different.

It was my understanding a built in VDSL modem/router is currently against Openreach's FTTC specifications?
Not so.  Cab-only installs, which BS trailed for us only a few months back, was the point at which OR accepted that ISPs could provide their own CPE kit, and so opened up the 'one-box' solution. As part of the same move, distributed filtering (as in the current ADSL dongle scheme) was approved too, for those that want it.  My experience is the effect on sync rates is comparable with the extra length of extension wiring exposed (assuming no 'bridged-tap' horrors).

>>> two ethernet ports and no wireless.

A big minus for me Im afraid - wireless is imperative and Id need to add on a switch and WAP, which negates the all in one solution
There are +/-s with both I'm afraid.  I suspect that (up to now) the reason why there haven't been a) many one-box soultions b) wireless c) Gig-E is down to the amount of processing power required to successfully do this while handling (potentially) up to 80Mb/s VDSL.  They will come I am sure and HH5 may have cracked this issue (while leaving us out in the cold monitoring wise), but for the moment, e.g. even the HG622 isn't GigE.
I seem to recall on your other thread that your currently (normally) quite happy with your TG582n on ADSL2+?  Are you taking the £5 PN TG582n FTTC?  It may be a good (cheap) interim solution, if you can put up with a two-box solution? PN have released a new TG582n FTTC firmware 10.2.5.2EO that supports 300Mb/s wireless and even tunnelled IPv6 (amongst other things) for those who are interested.  Combine this with the original HG612 (still available quite cheaply on Ebay), Asbo's firmware, and Eric and Pauls stats monitoring, and you will have a good performant system.
One of the things I did discover that VDSL exposed quite quickly was the fact that it can stress aging wireless networks which aren't up to handling those kinds of speeds - so watch out for increased retries on your wireless networks (unless everything is already .ac of course!).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »

>> both of these firmware seem to take a slightly different approach to the use of the bins in the tone plan - at least on initial sync.

Thank you for that info

>>> I suspect that (up to now) the reason why there haven't been a) many one-box soultions b) wireless c) Gig-E is down to the amount of processing power

I tend to agree, as processing power is the only reason I can think of why Gig-E isnt included in so many routers.  However since this is the 21st century and with broadband speeds now approaching 100Mb it seems sensible that routers should be future proofed. 
Ive for a long time - even going back to the days before maxdsl - dismissed the excuse of Gig-E switches not being included in routers because Gig-E switches cost more than 10/100.

>>> Are you taking the £5 PN TG582n FTTC?

Ummm I think so, as I appear to have one which turned up on Sat.   
I didnt specifically ask for it and they just ship it out for £5.99 to cover p&p as part of the normal sign up process?
I must admit I was surprised to see the TG582n arrive when my order tracking ticket said "Added components to account: (Netgear WNR1000 - FTTC)"

>>> Combine this with the original HG612

This is in hand and one was despatched to the kitz cattery only this morning, so I should hopefully get it within the next few days :)
-----
Pages: [1] 2