Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thats Rubbish  (Read 1590 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Thats Rubbish
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:26:52 AM »

If it's true it's an insult to council tax payers, as the article says. As far as I can see, it's not about improving efficiency, it's about making more difficulties for householders. >:(
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »

Bury  Council  !!    this was the one one where Labour won control, in the last election, by drawing straws     !!!! :'(     It looks like it's the local ratepayers who pulled the short straw in this case !

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:55:25 AM »

If the council does implement this crackpot idea,then all rate payers should withhold their council tax until the council come to their senses

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

I understand folks' suspicions when it comes to local authority spending but actually, in this instance, I can see some merit in the proposal... at least as it would apply to my neighbourhood (which isn't Bury).

My own home is inaccessible to the big wheelie-bin lorries and so when wheelie bins were introduced  special arrangements were agreed for me to leave the bins at an alternative location on some ancillary land of mine that abuts the main road, rather than the usual 'just outside the gate'.  Similar things, but different, arrangements apply to other folks in the lane.  One couple are elderly with poor mobility, so they won a concession that the collection crews will actually walk (100 yards) up to their house to collect the wheelie bins.

All well and good, but it proved very difficult for the managers to convey all these 'special cases' to the collection crews, and my bins went uncollected for the first few weeks.  Thereafter, there's been regular glitches when the crews forgot the special arrangements, maybe because there's a stand-in driver or whatever.   Each time my bins go uncollected, I have to grump at the council.  the council in turn then grump at the refuse company, and then the crew needs to make an extra trip, outside normal hours, to catch up on the missed bins.  Clearly, all that must be costing money.

If the electronic organisers were to cut down on missed collections, as seems to me to be the aim, then it may indeed be cost-effective overall.  And I'd have one less thing to be grumpy about, but that can't be helped :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »

@ 7LM.........we have to put our bins by the kerb edge for collection,but if you are a pensioner or disabled then they will fetch your bin down your path,empty it and then return it.

I am disbled but decline this offer as my OH is fit and able to do it.

You just phone the council and they forward your details to the collection crews....no fancy i-pads or whatever required,no doubt they have a list in the cab that suffices as they always get the collections correct.

My point is you can still implement a system without spending thousands of pounds on computer tablets,that will be very easy to damage in the rigours of refuse collection

anything