Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Double standards ??  (Read 2899 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Double standards ??
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:50:16 AM »

I've just received an e-mail from one of the forum mods (Who was just doing their job I hasten to add), informing me that a joke I posted had had a few complaints that it 'may' upset younger readers. What a load of absolute rubbish !!! The joke contained the word 'castration' ...... wow !! There was no swear words or double-entendres, just a good, honest 'before the watershed' type joke.

Whereas this, http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9737.0.html on the other hand, is full of double-entendres that can be construed as bordering on very sexual if one wanted.

I've a feeling I kmow who the 'offended' may be. I think they must live on Button Moon.  >:( :no:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Double standards ??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »

Seeing as you see fit to post a link to one of my threads I will tell you now that it isn't me that has made the complaint to the forum admin.
I also give the admin the authority to state that it isn't me.

So as you seem to think who the offender is..I suggest you think again.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »

There are no double standards, just a small team of people doing our best to maintain the forum as a safe and comfortable place for anyone to participate, whether they're 5 or 105. As to who complained, that's between us and the persons concerned, but what action is taken is our decision alone.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »

Tbh Eric I feel the OP's comments are aimed at me,(although the OP won't admit that)and that is not right when it isn't me.

a)  don't even now what the original post was

and

b).If I had felt that the content was unsuitable I would have posted on the OP's original thread,NOT gone behind his back to the admin.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:42:51 AM by UncleUB »

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »

Tbh Eric I feel the OP's comments are aimed at me,(although the OP won't admit that)and that is not right when it isn't me.

a)  don't even now what the original post was

and

b).If I had felt that the content was unsuitable I would have posted on the OP's original thread,NOT gone behind his back to the admin.

Calm down Uncle. My post wasn't aimed at you at all. I posted your link as an example of the double-standards some mods operate, or a forced to operate. I don't know for sure who is the complainant, but have been on here long enough to hazard a guess.

Whatever, the issue is there was nothing wrong with that joke that could offend anybody. Truth be known ... my 76yr old mother sent it to me in an e-mail for crying out loud.

This is the most over-the-top moderation I've seen yet on this forum. Absolutely ridiculous.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »

Calm down Uncle. My post wasn't aimed at you at all. I posted your link as an example of the double-standards some mods operate, or a forced to operate. I don't know for sure who is the complainant, but have been on here long enough to hazard a guess.

Its not a case of 'calming down'......its all about setting the record straight.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »

I regret that this thread was started. Any and all forum members are of course perfectly entitled to object to Moderation or Admin. decisions, but it would be appropriate to do so via the medium of PM........we do try to maintain the forum on a friendly basis and to keep any disputes out of public gaze.

As to double standards.well, I cannot see any correlation between the removed post in question and the earlier post linked to as an example of "double standards"........some innuendo did creep into that example, but the deleted joke was explicit. The words used in it are not of themselves objectionable.....but the tenor of the joke is.

The decision to remove the post was mine, and I was under no constraint from Admin. to do so.......as stated above, we endeavour to keep the forum suitable and friendly...... and appropriate for all ages, sexes, colours and creeds.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

Uncle .... consider the record well and truly set straight then.

T.Duck ...... I did say in my OP that I'm not blaming the mods per-se, as you have received a complaint according to your PM to me, and have acted according to how you see fit. However, you say "Some innuendo did creep in to ...." the other thread I've used as an example ??!! Have you gone mad ?? SOME ??? It's riddled with innuendo from the word go.

Being an adult though, I thought I'd have a chuckle at it, rather than be some over-sensitive soul who thinks their aim in life is to set their own moral standards on the rest of us. I reiterate again .... there was NOTHING wrong with that joke, no swearing, no rudeness, no crassness, nothing but humour. Uncle's post about 'His plums' on the other hand, is something that should be deleted instantly if you are going to employ the same moral compass !!!!

Most of us know there's an elite clique on here, and that's how things go. I am in a clique on another forum I frequent. But I do genuinely feel that certain other older members (as in the time on this site, not age) get preferential treatment over what others may.

I've said it before, being treated like a naughty child is most off-putting, and I've better things to do than argue the toss with a few folk who have all day to spend on here being all righteous on one hand, and contradictory on the other. I will re-post the joke for Kitz to view if she requires, to see that the actual content would pass an audit from Joe Pasquale.

As I say, i can hazard a guess as to who the 'complainant' probably is, and I thought this board was predominantly concerned with all things Broadband/PC/Fibre. I think I bring a lot to the table in this arena, far more than what the complainant does !!!!!! Yes I'm annoyed, again !!. Take it or leave it, life's to short. >:(

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »

Give me strength ............ :no:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »

Look......you posted a joke,someone complained to the admin/mods about,it was removed.Now I personally didn't see it so can't comment,but you should have vented your disapproval via a pm instead of moaning publicly on here about it and in the process bringing another thread up,which has absolutely nothing to do with your grievance.

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »

Blimey, I thought The News of The World had closed down.  ::)

Razpag, I saw your joke and did wonder how long it would stay in place. It was not the wording but the "theme" that I suspect caused TD o remove it.

I admin on a couple of family friendly sites and recently removed the exact same joke as some parents felt it was not within the child friendly guidelines............ simple.

If I see anything on this forum I think is OTT or needs attention I PM Roseway or TD, what they do then is their choice , discussions take place in private not in public and as they are the staff here I respect their decision.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »

Look......you posted a joke,someone complained to the admin/mods about,it was removed.Now I personally didn't see it so can't comment,but you should have vented your disapproval via a pm instead of moaning publicly on here about it and in the process bringing another thread up,which has absolutely nothing to do with your grievance.

You look Uncle ... I don't 'do' fannying around PM'ing people tellling tales if you like. Got a problem, speak to me directly and publicly. I've nothing to hide.

You seem upset about your plums ?? I take it you don't want your plums removing ?? How would you feel if Eric or TD discarded your plums ?? The point I'm obviously labouring to make, to you in particular Unc, is I was drawing a comparison. Do you understand that ?? I couldn't have said A.N Other thread on here was 'near to the knuckle' in my opinion, there's thousands of threads, so I had to draw attention to it to make my point valid.

If your getting all upset about it, go and have a chomp on one of your plums . Oooer missus.  ;)

Adrian H, bit of a joker yerself aren't you ?? 'News of the World' comments on this thread, pointing the finger at me on another thread (The airplane one) about how I'd basically have to be thick (or words to that effect) to open up that particular e-mail. I shan't put a complaint in about you though Adrian, I left school some time back.

In closing, I won't be PM'ing you, now or in the future regarding futile subjects. I'll stay on here giving advice on topics where I feel I can be of assistance if Kitz deems she still wants that, if not, then for most folk on here it's been my pleasure. Life is way, way, way too short to be mucking about with discussions on this kind of tripe.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

Here come the boys now. Jeff's typing as we speak.  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »

That's enough. I'm locking the thread now. Thank you for turning the forum into a circus.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

Just adding my 2p (because I can).   Im not 100% certain what all this is about, because I was rushed into A+E this w/e so havent been around.

For the records Im stating my own opinion, please use your common sense and I will refer you to this post
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,6103.msg150362.html#msg150362

At the end of the day, my mods do a fantastic job of keeping the forum clean.   If something is reported then they do their best to act on it....  and to those reporting I say keep it along the lines off BBC TV before the watershed.

I would however take this opportunity that there seems to be a few certain words that can get us blacklisted with certain service providers.  I never did get to the bottom of what caused orange to be censoring us :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything