Author Topic: Kindle  (Read 7398 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Kindle
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

I love books, and I read a lot. The trouble is that my bookshelves are groaning under the weight, and our local library is not at all well stocked.

So I've been toying with the idea of getting a Kindle. Has anyone here got one, or have any thoughts on the subject?
  Eric

scottiesmum

Re: Kindle
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »

Eric,   I am thinking exactly the same thing and have been for some time now.     I think they are a marvellous idea.   My brother bought one for his mother-in-law who has MS, as she can't hold heavy books and he highly recommends them.     In preparation for mine, I have downloaded a programme called Calibre  ...   and this very clever programme converts the different formats of e -books available to match the type of reader.    This you don't have to buy just Kindle  titles, they can be much cheaper in other formats.   I've done a lot of research  ;D    I have collected several free e-books  .....and have them stored in my Calibre programme.      I have been holding back from pressing the buy button, because I thought as they became more popular they would reduce in price  ... but that hasn't worked up to now  ;D    However, I am almost pressing the button a "as we speak"   :D

For me personally, I think one would-be extremely convenient for when I go on my sole lunchy outings  ....I find some books a little cumbersome, but a Kindle  would be ideal, as well as for holidays, etc... and would save the building of more shelves   ;D

Go for it Eric  ;D

This is a link to  Calibre in case you are interested.   :)         http://calibre-ebook.com/

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »

I still prefer reading from a book, however I do know a few people that have bought Kindle and they are very pleased with them. The obvious advantage is when travelling you can take plenty of "books" without the weight or bulk.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:58:24 PM »

There are two types....Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G.

The 3G one is £41 more than the the wi-fi one...ask yourself is it worth the extra £41 just to allow you to download books when out of wi-fi range.I would think that you can easily download enough books to keep you happy when away from home .

The prices of kindle books aren't that much cheaper than paper editions.

And then what do you do with the vast library of books you already have.........

Kindle (Wi-Fi) is a great choice if you already have a high-speed internet connection and wireless router setup at home, and do not want the added convenience of a 3G connection which enables you to download books anytime, anywhere on the go. If you do not have Wi-Fi setup in your home, Kindle 3G would be a better option.

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers. Check 3G coverage area.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002LVUWFE/ref=amb_link_160345967_3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1EYM4V5609Z0AZXAV9ZV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=244824387&pf_rd_i=468294

Apparently there is a £20 off code(3G version) via MSE (Money Saving Expert)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-ebook-readers-kindles
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:09:14 PM by UncleUB »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »

We (the kids & I) clubbed together and got SWMBO a Kindle (non-3G) for her birthday (yesterday).
I had the task of setting it up (in secret) and "pre-loading" it, which is a bit of a PITA as once it's linked to an Amazon account and you've bought stuff you can't reassign it.
(so we had to set up a secret Amazon account, fortunately she hadn't got one already)

Nice bit of kit, and you can also send other documents & pictures to it by email for free (or pay if you want to shortcut the process in some situations) - they get automatically converted from several formats including MS Word.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not much of a traveller, so the 3G version has little or no interest for me. And I can't get a mobile signal at all where I live. I can certainly download all the books I want using my home WiFi.

I can feel my credit card twitching...
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »

I don't normally post in chat.

But I have been thinking of getting wife one of these (she nearly had one last christmas) but got a pandora bracelet instead :)

I tried one out in Dixons the other day and thought it was quite good.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:37:16 PM by BritBrat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »

Well, I've given in to the temptation, and bought one from Currys this morning. I had a little bother setting up the WiFi connection, but switching off other WiFi devices (as suggested in the Kindle users' forum) fixed the problem. Registering it with my Amazon account was easy (apart from the fiddly keyboard :) ). Books can be bought and delivered to the Kindle using a PC, which is by far the most comfortable way to do it as far as I'm concerned. I've bought a couple of 49p books to test it out.

Kate, thanks for your suggestion of Calibre. I was pleased to see that they do a Linux version, and I've installed it, and it's going to be really useful.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:57:39 PM »

I've bought a couple of 49p books to test it out.

Sounds fun Eric.  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »

I missed that one. ;D
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »

I missed that one. ;D

:D.........

Was Currys price the same as what Amazon charge........?

There doesn't seem to be much movement/discount on prices across various retailers.

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

Ooooooooooooo    lovely Eric....... :clap: :clap:    have fun !       I'm so pleased you like the Calibre programme I think it is ever so clever; you can also search for e-books through Calibre and it searches out the cheapest.    I was delighted the other day, to find East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Wood   (one of my favourites that I read again, and again)  as a free download  ....   it is now sitting, waiting to be   ' Kindled'.

Also Eric, I don't know if you like the classics or not, but you can get those for free at several  safe places on the internet   .....  I have just downloaded a Tale of Two Cities and a favourite from my childhood  !!!    Little Women  :(   (I'm not suggesting you might like Little Women Eric      :lol:   )

I too will get the one that you download books  through the computer   .....as you say, you can stock up quite easily.

:lol:  @ Unc's book post ......   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

Was Currys price the same as what Amazon charge........?

There doesn't seem to be much movement/discount on prices across various retailers.

As far as I can tell, everyone charges exactly the same - £111 for the WiFi version. And I thought price fixing was illegal...
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

(I'm not suggesting you might like Little Women Eric      :lol:   )

I prefer big women... :lol:
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »

:lol: :lol:    that will make me giggle all afternoon .......

Because I don't live in the UK  i can't buy one from Amazon UK, having instead to use Amazon.com   .....   but then there's an import tax from the USA   :'(   so that brings the total to 140€ which is equivalent, on today's exchange rate, to £124     :-X   

I think I'm going to contact Amazon UK and see what they have to say   ...  it's not my fault they won't provide me with one from the UK is it 
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything