Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice sought please ...  (Read 1628 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Advice sought please ...
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »

Hoping some of the well-travelled amongst us can offer some input here ???

My wife and I are looking to travel to one of the Greek Islands (or elsewhere if a good recommendation) for a few weeks at the beginning of September. As we usually holiday in winter time and tend to go to Goa/Maldives/Egypt, we are not clued up on Greece really. We've visited Corfu and Crete and found them both pretty, but a bit too 'touristy' if you know what I mean ??

We're basically looking for a quietish resort (not completely void of life though), where lager-louts are few, if any. Preferably, transfer times would be under an hour, and obviously the accomodation would need to be very good.

I've looked at quite a few suggestions via the Net, but haven't found that one that 'grabs you' as yet. Do any of your goodselves have personal reccommendations you would like to share, in the hope that I can get this damned holiday booked !! ;D Many thanks in anticipation.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Advice sought please ...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »

Loads, would you consider the mainland as well?
And are you travelling independently or want a package?

Dare I ask what sort of age group you prefer to mix with?

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »

Hi HP. Thanks for replying so soon.

Errm, not sure about mainland really tbh ?? Think we'd prefer one of the islands if I'm honest. A package would be best suited for us, as imo it has it's assurances and insurances  :).

I think the age group would have to be over 30's, but we can 'get down with the kids' if pushed. I'd just rather have intelligent conversation over a glass or two of beer.

Cheers mate.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

Has HP gone on holiday ??  ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »

Nope, still here.

A couple of companies we've dealt with in recent years and respect are Greek Options and Sunvil.
The people at Greek Options are particularly knowledgeable and helpful - it's a small outfit, so give them a call.
http://www.greekoptions.co.uk/
http://www.sunvil.co.uk/

I asked about the mainland because we go there as often as to the islands; it's a different way of life and less touristy but if you like getting out and about there are endless places to explore (by car). It helps if you can at least read a bit of Greek as there are fewer tourist-oriented facilities, though if you're in a "resort" it won't be a problem locally. The Peloponnese is an area we've been to quite a lot, but there are some nice places further North, e.g. near Preveza/Parga in the West or Volos/Thessaloniki in the East.

As for islands, the far NW of Corfu, opposite Albania, has some wonderful spots away from the usual hordes. Or try Skopelos/Skiathos/Alonnissos?
SWMBO has Karpathos on her list, but it's difficult to get to.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

Hi HP.

Thanks for reply bud. Will have a look-see at those sites later as just popped in to here whilst making our tea (or 'Dinner', if you're south of Birmingham  ;D).

Thanks for the info,

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »

One of the most enjoyable places we went to was Agios Iannis in the Pelion peninsula (mainland). The firm we used no longer exists though.
It was dead quiet when we arrived midweek but a few days later filled up with fairly well-off Greek families from Athens and Thessaloniki on their summer holidays - most entertaining!
Only a few "foreign" tourists, though we were made very welcome.
I think the whole place is only open for a few weeks in the summer and it's a bit of a "mission" to get there as you go over very high mountains by bus, passing all the ski slopes that operate in winter.

The only downside was the Greek Air Force who used the mountains for low flying practice and used to come very low overhead without warning, though they probably can't afford to fly their supersonic fighters these days. Ah yes, they didn't have any rules (unlike the RAF) about staying subsonc over land, so you did get some extreme bangs at times! A fighter at mach 1.5 and 200ft overhead is VERY loud.