Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Line Length Descrepancies  (Read 7499 times)

badwolf456

Line Length Descrepancies
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

Hello,

I wonder if someone could provide an answer to a problem I have. I am looking to move to Be Internet, as they are an LLU operator at my local exchange. Now, according to Be, they cannot provide me with a service as I live further than 7km from the exchange. However, according to Kist, Samknows, and my current telephone provider (who is not BT) I live 1.2km (straight line) from the exchange and 2.25km by road and that these figures were also the same on the BT database. When I queried this with Be, they stated that their information for line lengths was also obtained from BT, but if that is the case why the descrepancy of nearly 5km?

According to Be, I need to contact BT and tell them to change the line length data from 7km to 2.25km. So what on earth are Be reading?? My telco has already confirmed that they and BT show 2.25km, NOT 7km. At this point I seem to be running around in circles, chasing my own tail.

So, could anybody tell me who/what/where in BT I can contact to discuss this descrepancy with and get it sorted once & for all? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: Line Length Descrepancies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »

Hello,

I wonder if someone could provide an answer to a problem I have. I am looking to move to Be Internet, as they are an LLU operator at my local exchange. Now, according to Be, they cannot provide me with a service as I live further than 7km from the exchange. However, according to Kist, Samknows, and my current telephone provider (who is not BT) I live 1.2km (straight line) from the exchange and 2.25km by road and that these figures were also the same on the BT database. When I queried this with Be, they stated that their information for line lengths was also obtained from BT, but if that is the case why the descrepancy of nearly 5km?

According to Be, I need to contact BT and tell them to change the line length data from 7km to 2.25km. So what on earth are Be reading?? My telco has already confirmed that they and BT show 2.25km, NOT 7km. At this point I seem to be running around in circles, chasing my own tail.

So, could anybody tell me who/what/where in BT I can contact to discuss this descrepancy with and get it sorted once & for all? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Isn't the issue with Be ?? You say 3 checkers PLUS BT's database came back with the same results. I'm not sure, but do checkers like 'Sam Knows' also interact with BT's database ??

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

Hi and welcome,

Can you post your present router stats here, so we can assess what your actual line length is.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

Isn't the issue with Be ?? You say 3 checkers PLUS BT's database came back with the same results. I'm not sure, but do checkers like 'Sam Knows' also interact with BT's database ??

Yes, SamKnows and Kitz and other checkers use the BT database for their source of information.
  Eric

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »

Thanks for that Roseway ............ does it not therefore stand to reason that BE have got it wrong ??

badwolf456

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »

OK, my Draytek router stats:

Up Speed         832000
Down Speed    7616000
SNR Margin      7.5
Loop Att.         29.5

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »

Yup, you're close to the exchange mate. The checkers are right. get back on to BE and tell them they've got it wrong mate.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »

PS ...... dont know why you want to change providers ??? You've got a helluva speed right there.  ;D

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »

I'm guessing the zero's on the ends shouldn't be there ??

badwolf456

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »

I'm guessing the zero's on the ends shouldn't be there ??

Yes the zero's are correct its how the Draytek presents the speed!

Want to move as Be are an LLU operator in my town, and can offer speeds "up to 24Mbs". BT never upgraded the exchange to 21cn, so unless I go with Be, I am stuck at 8Mbs! I don't even have the choice of using cable, as my estate was never wired up for it (yet cabinets were put in place).

Be are just passing the buck! They are stating I should contact BT to get this sorted, yet surely they have more clout and resources to deal with this matter!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »

Hi

quote I'm guessing the zero's on the ends shouldn't be there ??

yes its bits not Kbits

regards Jeff
zen user

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »

Every day's a school day, I've never seen 'speed' presented like that from a router/hub.

Now then, the Upstream is higher than what a 20CN product can offer. It looks like its a 21CN product on the U/S, but granted, you should be seeing a damn site more on the D/S with your attenuation.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 07:08:22 PM »

Hi
Just to be sure about the distance can you provide your DS attenuation, should be around 35db. Then you may be able to speak to someone other than script readers  in Be that understands router stats .
Regards Jeff

edit  forget it  just realised loop att 29db  ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:12:05 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »

@badwolf456: Enter your phone number and postcode in the Kitz line checker and see what it says in the 'BT line speed estimation' section. This data comes from the BT database.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »

Hi
Just to be sure about the distance can you provide your DS attenuation, should be around 35db. Then you may be able to speak to someone other than script readers  in Be that understands router stats .
Regards Jeff

That's what the 'loop attenuation' figure is, i.e. 29.5 dB.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3