Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834Gv4 and PPPoE  (Read 4316 times)

sfxdude

Netgear DG834Gv4 and PPPoE
« on: June 03, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »

Hello!

I've recently had FTTC installed via Plusnet who are trialling it and am so far very impressed (anything is an improvement over 512k...!). As you know, openreach supply their own modem (a rebranded Huawei, HG612, and plusnet have provided a modified Thomson 585v7 to use PPPoE on port 4 of the router.

Now, I previously used a Netgear DG834Gv4 ADSL modem/router to connect to the internet, and from the specifications this also supports PPPoE. However, I am told that it needs to be able to do PPPoE over a WAN port for it to work...and I don't really know how to get it to work. I've flashed it with the DGTeam firmware but so far, no cigar. The status never changes from 'connecting' and I'm not sure it's configured properly to use the RJ45 sockets rather than the RJ11 (if you see what I mean). Interestingly if I connect the netgear box straight to the wall via the RJ11 cable, then it gets to 'negotiating', but no further than that. I'm fairly sure I still need to use the openreach box as the modem in order to sync properly anyway.

According to the guy at Plusnet some people have been successful in getting it working, and so it must be possible! (perhaps!)

Any help much appreciated!

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Netgear DG834Gv4 and PPPoE
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »

Hi

The V4 should connect to PPPoE . I do not use the DGteam firmware so cannot comment . Before fashasing with DGteam FW did you set up the Netgear  basic settings for PPPoE ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

sfxdude

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »

I did, yeah. Setting it to PPPoE it just sat on 'connecting', there's also no configuration to tell it which socket to use...

On the Thomson box you have to connect the openreach box to port 4 on the thomson router, but there's nothing that says connect it to port 4 on the netgear router...

sfxdude

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »

That seems to be just a 6 page info booklet, not the actual manual, but I have read the manual to no avail, it mentions nothing of specifics of how to (if its possible) to get PPPoE working on a WAN port.

I'm losing hope .. :(

anything