Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: snr margin with BT  (Read 9538 times)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
Re: snr margin with BT
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »

The problem with this kinda thing is that BT are not obligated to ensure you have a broadband service a phone service yes because having a phone line can be a matter of life and death which is why they can't refuse to supply a phone line to anyone. So your kinda in the same position as myself. My broadband drops out due to aluminium cabling but i am generally getting a good speed. I have had 4 SFI engineers at the property who did give me an SSFP which will be coming with me when i move lol. Bottom line is BT won't pay to change the cabling that has been around since the 70's and basically told me to wait until FTTC and there isn't anything they can do which is understandable. I am connected to the belfast city exchange so i am hoping FTTC will be coming to that soon. I know balmoral, malone and bangor exchanges all have it (typical of bangor the golden coast they get everything lol). If there is a serious problem there just look at it this way "it will get worse before it gets better" and then at least you will have a case to go to BT about. If i was you just keep doing what your doing and gather evidence. Even try checking with your neighbours to see if they are having the same sort of issues you never know you could have a campaign to go on against BT to get them to do something about it.

Regards
Gary

strontium90

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

Hi....I see from your replies, that the chance of BTw doing anything about this are zero...It's so frustrating...after snr holding up well for a few days, this morning. about 11.30am, my snr suddenly dropped from 6dB to 4dB (see attached graph)...I guess this rules out the nightime avalanche of AM radio and the like....Nothing, switched itself on or off in the house at this time, so it must be a REIN issue outside the house, but I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is causing this...has anyone any suggestions and a possible course og action?

Also, on a side note...I see from the ADSL line checker that my estimated speed has risen from 2meg to 3meg this week, but also there is an amber portion...i.e.
 Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps available
 radsl:  512Kbps and 256Kbps available
 MAX:  ADSL Max is available
 TPON:  No info in database
 Check:  The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc
 What does this last section mean?...Cheers in advance

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »

Hi
The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.
It  has Identified your connection .
Regards Jeff
zen user

strontium90

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 03:24:54 PM »

Haha...cheers Jeff...it appears theres a low snr in my brain today :no:

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »

I live on a farm

Can it be presumed that there is nothing from this industry that may be affecting your connection ?

Eg generator, milking plant, water/sewage pumps etc

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »

Can you post an image of your bits/tone graph in Routerstats (It's in Telnet Router > Bits/tone > Bits & SNR/ Tone).

What kind of TV does your sister have?  Plasma televisions can sometimes cause problems with ADSL.  It's possible that there is some equipment in your sisters property that is causing the issue.

strontium90

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »

Theres nothing like that going on...just a few lights in cattle houses...the snr dropped yesterday at 11.00am...today it dropped from 7.2dB til 5.3dB at 10.15 am...I have been out all day and my sister and her hubby gone from 8.30am...so it's not them...am really sick of it...have adjusted my sync yesterday before the drop to 4032kps (ip profille 3500kps) with an snr of 7.6kps...however it's getting worse and the noise is starting at any time of day...could it be an issue with the exchange?
Bits tone graph included from 6.15pm

[attachment deleted by admin]

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »

Just a thought but do you have an electrical socket next to your master socket. Was speaking to an ex OR engineer today about REIN its one i work with and apparently there can be some noise fluctuations if you have an electrical socket to close to your master socket. Apparently this can be dangerous aswell (didn't make me feel happy since i do have an electricity socket next to my master) lol. What about electrical cables outside if these run parallel to your telephone line this can cause issues to (this is only if your OH cabling as opposed to UG).  There is clearly something there electrical causing these margins to fluctuate the way they do i wouldn't think it would be exchange related though but then again i could be wrong.

Regards
Gary

strontium90

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »

Thanks Gary...I have the router plugged into a socket about 3 feet away from the master socket...theres not much I can do about this as its the nearest one and I try to keep everything neat as people hoovering can sometimes disrupt your router if you know what I mean LOL....outside, is a crows nest of 3 phase running directly crossing over my phone line (though not parallel to it)....

Was down at my sisters there as I wanted them to use router-stats to see if the interference is affecting them at the same time as me...The 1st thing my bro in law noticed was that their connection had re-synced at 4192 (from 4700) so I think it is affecting them too...however , he wouldnt listen to me when I told him not to adjust their snr, and he did with routerstats v5.9...their dg834g did multiple reboots, and they are now syncing at 3122kps, snr 12.8dB....ooops!!!!...left discretely but bro in law thinks it will recover itself and that other people with 21cn connections are the problem??!!??...not in Castlewellan!!
Anyways...I am trying to get a balance between speed and stability because I think the chance of BTw doing anything is zilch
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:00:19 PM by strontium90 »
Pages: 1 [2]