Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: trouble with orange, 1meg profile. bad line??  (Read 9082 times)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: trouble with orange, 1meg profile. bad line??
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »

I think the new Orange DLM introduced at exchanges converted to ADSL2+ up to 20meg LLU has something to do with this.

It appears to function just like the BTw IPStream/WBC DLM and to make matters worse Orange have admitted there are teething problems with the software.

If it does function like BTw's then it has "stuck" juts like when the IP Profile gets stuck and requires manual intervention.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »

and there was no need for those last three words unlceUB..

I'm sorry?.......last 3 words?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »

Does this make any sense then? my livebox reports different figures

ADSL firmware version :     A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode :    G.DMT
Type :    Interleave
Noise margin (dB) :    32.9
Attenuation (dB) :    30.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) :    8512
ADSL status :    Connected

Downstream    Upstream
Rate (kbps)    1024    288

The 'attainable' rate is the estimate of the connection speed which could be achieved if it wasn't capped at 1024 kbps. The router is only syncing at 1024 kbps, so something is capping the speed. It may well be teething problems with the Orange DLM system as Oranged suggests.
  Eric

dabel

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »

firstly, uncleUB you said they have worst customer sevice for all ISP's - no need for the ISP bit, they just have the worst customer service :)

i havent gone into depths about my frustration with orange's DLM. i didnt want to bore people but it is DLM that is my problem, my speed dropped the day the equipment went in. coincedence?? no chance... but i listened to what they said and they told me that there was a line problem, which to be fair there was. since it was fixed i expected DLM to re-evaluate my line and increase my maximum stable rate from the 1.8 they told me it was... this hasnt happened after 3 days since it was fixed. I agree for some reason i think it is stuck. but to get orange to increase my profile manually just isnt going to happen. its like getting water out of a stone. i can see my line is capable of more than that and so did escalations hence the fob off of trying to use congestion as the issue... why cant they admit they have a problem and do something manually.

i shall give the different router a try just incase that was the reason for the stuck profile, and lack of change in the maximum stable rate figures. if that doesnt work after a few days then i'll phone and ask for my line to be regraded. hopefully DLM will then be re-started and i can start as if its a new connection. getting them to do that may be difficult as they have already done so prehaving my fault fixed.

thanks for your help. i now have routerstats working on my router so will watch carefully. i am yet to see any drops in my SNR it just seems maxed out, the same as my sync speed. the quiet line test on the phone proved i have no noise (unless its a different type of noise?) so intereference cannot really be blamed either.

every speed test and your advice shows my line is capable of more than orange's stated 1.8 meg max stable rate. so their DLM is not working as it should.

dabel

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:14 PM »

Oranged - usually when orange see a profile is stuck, the maximum stable rate shows higher than the profile they are stuck on. my problem getting orange to do anything about it is because my incorrect max rate is correct for my profile. they use that as a marker for manual intervention/getting someone to do anything about it. the bloke i spoke to didnt know much but he was fairly honest in the end.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »

Hi
quote : Does this make any sense then? my livebox reports different figures

There doesn't appear to be  any significant differences .

It just seems that no one at the orange help desk understand how ADSL works or they are taking a leaf out of the ex Tiscali manual "how to confuse and fob off customers "

Tom.Alexander@orange.co.uk  CEO for orange  for anyone who is interested.

Regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »

To be honest, I doubt that anyone in Orange (other than the contractor responsible for implementing the new DLM) knows precisely how it works.

Anybody you speak with in Orange has no direct involvement in the operations.

They would need to complete a work request and submit that to the contractors to carry out. That's why it's almost impossible for you to get manual intervention.

Frustrating I know....I've been there....now I'm with O2 and the future is blue rather than orange  :thumbs:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »

firstly, uncleUB you said they have worst customer sevice for all ISP's - no need for the ISP bit, they just have the worst customer service

8)  :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »

Hi

quote : I'm with O2 and the future is blue rather than orange

alright for some  ;D  but only those on LLU the remaider those on Access are not  :) they are  >:(

Regards Jeff  ;)

zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »

but only those on LLU the remaider those on Access are not

Surely there can't be that many left on Access.....unless they really enjoy pain being inflicted upon them  :o

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »

Hi
Perhaps they are masochists  :lol:
Regards Jeff
zen user

dabel

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »

whos the best of the low cost ISPs for customer service??

is there anyone available out there who is still ip stream based?? my first taste of LLU is not one i've enjoyed.

are other ISPs DLM software less aggressive/mental?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »

is there anyone available out there who is still ip stream based?? my first taste of LLU is not one i've enjoyed.

Unfortunately the better isp's are not cheap.Its like most things in life,you get what you pay for.What you really need is first class UK based technical support.

A few good ones are.

http://www.idnet.net/

http://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/ZenBroadband.aspx

http://www.newnet.co.uk/

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/

http://www.fast.co.uk/

All the above offer excellent UK customer support.

dabel

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »

thanks uncleUB short of moving back to someone with ipstream i dont know what else i could do. its either that or play the waiting game. no amount of getting in touch with orange will make any difference, and until i know its purely orange DLMs fault then i cant risk moving to another LLU based ISP if they've got DLM that also might not like my line.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »

are other ISPs DLM software less aggressive/mental?

I think it's only Sky LLU and Orange that seem to run their DLM after the intial training period.

O2 and BE don't. I don't believe TT and AOL do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything