Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: trouble with orange, 1meg profile. bad line??  (Read 9117 times)

dabel

trouble with orange, 1meg profile. bad line??
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »

im hoping by starting this i could ask for some help in which state to leave my router in.

previous to BT coming out to fix a phone fault i was getting this.

Line mode: G.992.3 (ADSL2)
Maximum line rate: 1019 kbps (downstream) / 285 kbps (upstream)
Noise margin: 19 dB (downstream) / 19 dB (upstream)
Line attenuation: 44 dB (downstream) / 40 dB (upstream)
Output power: 16 dBm (downstream) / 11 dBm (upstream)

then after the fault being fixed im now getting

Line mode: G.992.3 (ADSL2)
Maximum line rate: 1019 kbps (downstream) / 285 kbps (upstream)
Noise margin: 31 dB (downstream) / 4294967281 dB (upstream)
Line attenuation: 29 dB (downstream) / 16 dB (upstream)
Output power: 17 dBm (downstream) / 11 dBm (upstream)

thats a huge difference in attenuation but my upstream noise margin has dropped through the floor. (with that ridiculous figure meaning a value between 0db and 1db. (or so i've read))

im already on a 1 meg profile thanks to DLM the first time which is when i found the phone fault, surely with 0db noise margin on my upstream soon i'll be getting asked to supply broadband to Orange once dlm kicks in again.

i have tried connecting via g.dmt and the upstream noise margin changes drastically

Line mode: G.992.1 (G.DMT)
Maximum line rate: 1024 kbps (downstream) / 288 kbps (upstream)
Noise margin: 31 dB (downstream) / 31 dB (upstream)
Line attenuation: 30 dB (downstream) / 16 dB (upstream)
Output power: 12 dBm (downstream) / 11 dBm (upstream)

is that now an acceptable level for my stats? im happy to leave it on G.DMT as im only after a stable connection of around 2-3 meg. if i leave it on this setting will dlm read my line and see that it is more than stable enough and increase my profile? or would that see a return to ADSL2 and that 0db figure and me being back where i started?

i do have a livebox which was replaced during the PPP server down days with the siemens im using now. i could try that but i really dont think i should be doing as much troubleshooting as i am in light of other posts... i just want to find a setting and leave it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: trouble with orange, 1meg profile. bad line??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:31:31 AM »

Hi and welcome.

Can you say exactly what Orange package you are on? It appears to be capped at 1 Mbps, but that's not the work of DLM. Your figures are all over the place, but your connection should certainly be capable of much better performance.

I'm rather suspicious that the line fault which you had, which is supposed to be fixed, is still present. Either that, or there's something badly wrong with your own internal wiring or the way things are connected. Do you have filters on all telephone equipment (including things like Sky boxes) and have you tried using different filters?

To start to get a handle on the problem, it would be good to do some basic troubleshooting. A place to start would be the troubleshooting guide which will help to find out where the fault really lies.

Eric

dabel

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »

thanks for getting back to me, i do appreciate any help i can get.

i have done all the basic troubleshooting and to no avail. I am on the 'up to 8 meg' package and prior to oranges equipment going in in my exchange i could get around 2.5-3 meg even before the phone line was fixed. As soon as i went LLU they capped me at 1 meg. I was told my phoneline could only supprt 1.9 meg and seen as they dont have a profile for that they said i'd have to stay on 1 meg.

The phone was fixed on tuesday and im waiting for DLM to take note of the better stats. Do you think cus of the profile cap i'll never be moving up profiles? even with a better line now then before??

i have no extensions and plug directly into the master socket. I have changed the leads, filters, removed the ring wire etc, and still no joy.

Based on the stats above what do you think i should be getting?

thanks again for your help. I want to move ISPs as orange's support is non-existent, but now i think i'd have this problem with any ISP.

dabel

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »

as for the line, the phone problem was solved instantly as my line didnt even recognise a phone was connected after BT came out. PLus the improvement in the stats suggested that i was onto a winner. But i agree with you entirely, i still think there is a problem there. I have done the quiet line test and it is very very quiet! no noise at all.

unfortunately the Siemens router i had didnt seem to want to work with routerstats as it as showing 572b of noise and 1kbps of sync speed. The only time that noise level would drop is when i logged into my router page. Very strange, but lead me to believe the two arent compatible.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »

Based on the stats above what do you think i should be getting?

well if you put your downstream attenuation (which looks between 29-30db) into here..

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

You will see you should be able to sync at around 7900kbps with an IP profile of 6500kbps.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »

What UncleUB says is right. I don't know anything about Orange's implementation of DLM, but I doubt very much that it will automatically remove a cap - the cap will have been manually applied, and would have to be manually removed.

Your high noise margins suggest that your line has much more capability than the 1.9 Mbps claimed by Orange, except for the oddity of the upstream noise margin in the second set of figures. I think your best course of action would be to go back to Orange and insist that the cap is removed so that your connection can find its own speed. After that we will be able to see if there really is any outstanding line problem, or that upstream margin oddity was just a glitch.
  Eric

dabel

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:19:39 AM »

thanks both!!

that speed would be unheard of so far so im not even trying to be greedy and get anything like that, i just want a stable 2-3 meg speed.

im not sure if its a cap, or just that im only on the 1 meg profile as orange's DLM cant see that i can go any higher than that. i phoned orange after BT had been out and they said they cannot currently regrade the line as my maximum stable rate was still showing as 1.9 meg as the DLM hadnt had a chance to look at my new stats yet, they said give it a few days for it to come through at their end and they will see my maximum stable rate has increased and therefore regrade the line. they did say though that they might not even need to go down the regrade route as the DLM would see the improved stats and move up by itself. if i hadnt been fobbed off and lied to so many times by orange i'd have some faith in what there telling me but i really dont. I do believe their is still a line issue even though the phone line has been fixed. I've never had more than 2-3 meg on this line so i know there is a problem but getting anyone to sort it is impossible. BT arent interested and an orange team manager told me i can stay on the one meg profile or leave. not exactly helpful and when i didnt answer the question they hung up on me. i feel as if im outthere on my own to get this sorted and orange are not interested in helping me.

luckily there are some people out there who care, or i'd have given up a long time ago!

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »

Just a couple of questions...

How long have you been with Orange?

You say you are LLU with Orange,are there any more ISP's who are LLU enabled at your exchange.?

dabel

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:55:47 AM »

i have been with orange since they first offered broadband as part of being a phone customer. so about 3 years. its one of those things that when it works your ok because you dont have to deal with them. but when its bad, its horrid.

Sky are available and i will be transfering to them in july.... but just before i changed from IP stream to LLU on orange i signed up for 3 months of sky player. that requires a 2 meg stable connection which i was getting before LLU. now my profile is 1 meg i cant use the sky player i pay a £30 subscription a month for! thats my only issue, otherwise i'd put up with it for just £5 a month.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »

Hi

It does NOT seem to be an issue with your line .

Maximum line rate: 1024 kbps (downstream) / 288 kbps (upstream)   this is 1 meg cap
Noise margin: 31 dB (downstream) / 31 dB (upstream)             excessive  SNR margin by about 25db .Each 3 db can give anything between 400 and 1200 Kbps extra synch . Even at the lower end that equates to at list an extra 3200Kbps and certainly should be possible to run at 7900kbps   as quoted by Uncleub                     
Line attenuation: 30 dB (downstream) / 16 dB (upstream)
Output power: 12 dBm (downstream) / 11 dBm (upstream)  :  This is very low  would expect about 19db obviously has been lowered in the capping process.

Its all down to your ISP to sort out .

Regards Jeff
zen user

dabel

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »

thanks jeff. if you look at my first post where i connected via adsl2. the output power is at the sort of level i'd expect. i agree on g.dmt the output power does look low.

im about to plug in my livebox and have a look at the stats on there. i'll post shortly.

my ISP said today that the reason im only getting a maximum stable rate of 1.8 meg is because of the number of people connectnig to orange LLU at my exchange. he said it was to do with congestion. absolute nonsense i thought and told him in not so many words that that was garbage.

he quiet quickly changed his tune but told me that my new stats since BT fixed the phone fault have made no difference to my maximum stable rate. even though my attenuation had almost halved. more garbage i expect.

he did say it was strange that my router showed a maximum downspeed of 1024 and not somewhere around 8000.  this makes me think my router is stuck so i shall try a full reset which i didnt know you could do on the siemens. then if that doesnt change i'll try the livebox.

they told me im on a 1 meg profile cus of my maximum stable rate and definitely not on a cap. just that my line cannot increase to the next profile. i really dont believe that is true even though this member of escalations was probably the most helpful i've had!

dabel

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »

just done a full reset and got the stats below.

ADSL Line

Line mode:   G.992.3 (ADSL2)
Maximum line rate:   1019 kbps (downstream) / 285 kbps (upstream)
Noise margin:   31 dB (downstream) / 4294967280 dB (upstream)
Line attenuation:   30 dB (downstream) / 16 dB (upstream)
Output power:   19 dBm (downstream) / 11 dBm (upstream)

ADSL Line

Line mode:   G.992.1 (G.DMT)
Maximum line rate:   1024 kbps (downstream) / 288 kbps (upstream)
Noise margin:   27 dB (downstream) / 31 dB (upstream)
Line attenuation:   31 dB (downstream) / 16 dB (upstream)
Output power:   13 dBm (downstream) / 11 dBm (upstream)

i actually sat and refreshed the stats page and watched the noise margin go from 16 to 17 to 18 all the way upto 30 where it settled.

what on earth does that mean?

thanks guys.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »

Whatever Orange may say, there seems no doubt that your connection is capped. I'm not sure what to make of the initial variation in the noise margin, but it may be just a reporting error while the router is settling down, or perhaps the result of some initial bitswapping to optimise the connection.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »

It looks like you are capped at a 1mb

they told me im on a 1 meg profile cus of my maximum stable rate and definitely not on a cap

That sounds like the same thing tbh. ???

Edit,

Roseway beat me too it.  :)

Tbh Orange have one of the worse customer support departments of all isp's

dabel

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 03:34:01 PM »

Does this make any sense then? my livebox reports different figures

ADSL firmware version :     A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode :    G.DMT
Type :    Interleave
Noise margin (dB) :    32.9
Attenuation (dB) :    30.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) :    8512
ADSL status :    Connected

Downstream    Upstream
Rate (kbps)    1024    288

and there was no need for those last three words unlceUB... :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:36:30 PM by dabel »
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything